+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Covid and Golf and AH

O/T:- Covid and Golf and AH

Well Covid has well and truly trashed my main recreational activity which took part in enclosed spaces. I'm now trying to revisit golf which I last played properly, I mean, on an 18 hole par 73 golf course, in probably 1979 in Western Australia. It was nonetheless purely social with a mate. Wednesday afternoons, alternatively the full 18 and then a nice little par 3 nine, whenever we could and work allowed.

Struggling to find a playing partner I found someone I know from Doncaster and we met a couple of times at Kilton Forest, Worksop - a bit of a hike and my back hurt like hell (age and bad technique). Tried again yesterday on the Par 3 course at Ramsdale. So where do any of you golfers suggest? Didn't there used to be a Notts supporters golf club?

One place I can't see myself going to is The Nottinghamshire - but my god hasn't that guy landed on his feet. He managed to keep the establishment despite dragging down all else around him and everywhere I look golf has taken off since it is one of the few activities relatively unaffected by Covid.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 24-10-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Well Covid has well and truly trashed my main recreational activity which took part in enclosed spaces. I'm now trying to revisit golf which I last played properly, I mean, on an 18 hole par 73 golf course, in probably 1979 in Western Australia. It was nonetheless purely social with a mate. Wednesday afternoons, alternatively the full 18 and then a nice little par 3 nine, whenever we could and work allowed.

Struggling to find a playing partner I found someone I know from Doncaster and we met a couple of times at Kilton Forest, Worksop - a bit of a hike and my back hurt like hell (age and bad technique). Tried again yesterday on the Par 3 course at Ramsdale. So where do any of you golfers suggest? Didn't there used to be a Notts supporters golf club?

One place I can't see myself going to is The Nottinghamshire - but my god hasn't that guy landed on his feet. He managed to keep the establishment despite dragging down all else around him and everywhere I look golf has taken off since it is one of the few activities relatively unaffected by Covid.
    I don’t get to play too often these days. Work and kids get in the way. I have always enjoyed Oakmere. Coxmoor is decent but you would want to go with a member as it’s much cheaper that way. Morley Hays is age friendly being relatively flat.

There is Edwalton GC. It has a few hills but the par 3 is flat. Both are only nine holes so it doesn't take long

Aye it's buggered up my indoor bowls completely.

Golf courses ..... a good few mentioned already but possibly Norwood Park where you can pay and play on either the main course or the par 3 nine holer. Don't know whats handy for you but Chilwell Manor & Wollaton Park are flattish and Newark is very flat.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post

Golf courses ..... a good few mentioned already but possibly Norwood Park where you can pay and play on either the main course or the par 3 nine holer. Don't know whats handy for you but Chilwell Manor & Wollaton Park are flattish and Newark is very flat.
    Trent lock is flat and has Both a challenging 9 hole course and a 18 holes course . Both flat and visitors are Very
    welcome .

Quote Originally Posted by piegonk74 View Post
    Trent lock is flat and has Both a challenging 9 hole course and a 18 holes course . Both flat and visitors are Very welcome .
    But not with cargo shorts or "socked trousers". I'm new to UK courses. I hope I didn't have my baseball cap (actually an NCFC cap) back to front when the sun was scorching down the back of my neck a month or so back.

Some interesting variations in green fees. My golf isn't good enough to pay much more than the £3 (discounted) all day ticket around Woodthorpe Grange. Only problem this time of the year is I keep losing my balls (the golf ones) because of the amount of leaves on the course.

Noosa Hills par 3 is good if you fancy a bit of a drive and 8 months isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Noosa Hills par 3 is good if you fancy a bit of a drive and 8 months isolation.
    Sounds good but I don't think my car is up to that journey. Anyway I'd prefer the Par 73(?) at Wembley Downs, WA if it still there. Wow just had a look - it's changed a bit since the '70's. Used to be just a 27/28 hole golf course and shop. Still would have a bit of a problem driving there though. Maybe a boat starting from Trent Bridge?

Sounds good but I don't think my car is up to that journey. Anyway I'd prefer the Par 73(?) at Wembley Downs, WA if it still there. Wow just had a look - it's changed a bit since the '70's. Used to be just a 27/28 hole golf course and shop. Still would have a bit of a problem driving there though. Maybe a boat starting from Trent Bridge?
    Never played there but I am not a big golfer. I only ever played at Burswood when I lived in WA although I did live near Wembley ( Scarborough). I used to be perth_pie when this was rivals a long time ago.

I would assume Wembley is now very very upmarket given its proximity to the CBD, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the course land had been sold off for property development? I wonder whatever happened to rayo_rayo he was in WA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post

I took up golf in my early 20's back in the 1970's after a bad accident at work which resulted in a broken ankle and leg, pins and plates and all that (end of football career and my dream of wearing the black and white shirt ) A neighbour on the same road I lived at the time played at Chilwell Manor he took me to play there and offered to get me on the waiting list (which was a long wait back then) I politely said no, giving the reason it was way too flat and full of old men...Although I lived in Beeston I joined Bulwell Hall, and then went onto Maywood at Risley, and then Ruddington Grange...40+years on I'm at Chilwell Manor where its nice and flat and I'm one of those old men...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast