+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading Post Match Thoughts

Maybe push barlaser further up. He can pick a pass. Let s mac and Lindsey do the space work in CM. Have him hovering round the edge of the opposition's pen area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    Theres an argument to suggest that Harry Kane wouldn't get that many goals in this team. Strikers can only convert what is given to them. I suppose Smith had a couple of headers he could have done better with and the others had half chances here and there but that was it. I just thought that there were far too many deliveries into the box that lacked the quality needed at this level. We can get up the pitch really well but need to deliver into the box a lot earlier with far better quality than we saw yesterday. Unfortunately its starting to mirror the last time we were here!
    That's exactly as I see it Jimmy, although Kane might have done better with the shot than Hursty to give the defender no chance of clearing off the line. There were numerous occasions where we had played well through midfield (a failure in previous games) to get into good positions only for poor balls and decisions into the strikers. The strikers can't do much if the ball doesn't get to them, or is player in a way that allows the defenders to block them out. Freddy did great to create the one shot he had, and is worth persevering with I think, and Hurst needs some time to find his way, but mostly its for the supporting attackers to read our forwards better and play the balls in that would open up the chances. The big worry is that our supporting attackers lack the ability to do this constantly to supply the chances that we need. But still early days and good to see the midfield play better passing to at least put pressure on the opposition and get into good positions in the first place.

I think the issue is Warne doesn’t k ow his best 11.
    The constant changing of forwards all the time is not working.
    There are some who believe league 1 is the managers level.
    That maybe a bit harsh imo however we can’t keep making excuses about playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Maybe push barlaser further up. He can pick a pass. Let s mac and Lindsey do the space work in CM. Have him hovering round the edge of the opposition's pen area.
    We have the player that can create and the one we need to get on opportunities in and around the oppositions 18 yrd box but he's sitting on the bench, get him on the pitch and get the ball to his feet. Get Barlaser linking up with him and we just might start look threatening in the last third.

Sadlier started in the first few games but we weren't playing well as a side, we are playing 2000% better now as a team, stringing passes together but not creating anything in that last third which is his strength.

What options did the midfield have when you have no pace up front?From now on we need to play Barlaser more forward so there is a link with the attackers.Yesterday , possibly Ben Wiles was our quickest lad up front.Smith and the new lad Flo lacked pace.The last match Miller played, I thought he was our best attacker and provided the pace we badly missed yesterday.I would also start with Freddie,he looks sharper and if he bagged a goal or two his confidence would shoot up.As I have said before we are looking much more like a Championship side.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    That's exactly as I see it Jimmy, although Kane might have done better with the shot than Hursty to give the defender no chance of clearing off the line. There were numerous occasions where we had played well through midfield (a failure in previous games) to get into good positions only for poor balls and decisions into the strikers. The strikers can't do much if the ball doesn't get to them, or is player in a way that allows the defenders to block them out. Freddy did great to create the one shot he had, and is worth persevering with I think, and Hurst needs some time to find his way, but mostly its for the supporting attackers to read our forwards better and play the balls in that would open up the chances. The big worry is that our supporting attackers lack the ability to do this constantly to supply the chances that we need. But still early days and good to see the midfield play better passing to at least put pressure on the opposition and get into good positions in the first place.
    I agree with the Hurst half chance Raging......It looked like he didn't connect that well but the truth is the defender would have still cleared it even if he had.There was a great reply from behind the goal that showed an empty goal to the right of the keeper and Im guessing that where you think Kane would have put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    I agree with the Hurst half chance Raging......It looked like he didn't connect that well but the truth is the defender would have still cleared it even if he had.There was a great reply from behind the goal that showed an empty goal to the right of the keeper and Im guessing that where you think Kane would have put it.
    I think from that distance, any kind of power on target wouldn't have given the defender time to react as he did. The direction wasn't so much the problem as the lack of pace on the shot

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    What options did the midfield have when you have no pace up front?From now on we need to play Barlaser more forward so there is a link with the attackers.Yesterday , possibly Ben Wiles was our quickest lad up front.Smith and the new lad Flo lacked pace.The last match Miller played, I thought he was our best attacker and provided the pace we badly missed yesterday.I would also start with Freddie, he looks sharper and if he bagged a goal or two his confidence would shoot up. As I have said before we are looking much more like a Championship side.
    I agree with you on the side looking as though it can hold it's own in the Championship, but the table doesn't lie. We are losing points in games where we should be getting something from the game. This preoccupation with pace is not the only answer, in any case pace alone doesn't create opportunities! You have to have end product as well as pace. What's needed is that player in the last third with vision, creativity and an eye for a pass, the picking up of positions in and around the opposition box and incisive defence cutting passes, crosses and being able to get a shot off with either foot from distance, none of this is has been evident in the last third over the last few games, yet we have exactly that player sat on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    I think from that distance, any kind of power on target wouldn't have given the defender time to react as he did. The direction wasn't so much the problem as the lack of pace on the shot
    Maybe you're right Raging. Talking of Hirst ,I suppose he can take comfort that Harry Kane didn't really start coming to the fore until he was 22! A lot of the squad have a really big season from a personal point of view to really see how good they really are. My Son is a sports science graduate and has played Rugby from school level to Club academy level to South Yorkshire to Yorkshire to North of England and finally got found out at England Under 20 trials....he'd reached his summit! He always says that as you progress up the rungs of the ladder that it isn't necessarily about skill sets or technique rather the less and less time you have to exercise them. Its instinctual to a point which you can't coach no matter how long you run and run around a training ground. Lets hope there are enough of the Millers squad that haven't reached their summit and for the good of the club and their futures can make it to another rung!

I don't think it's accurate to say we aren't creating chances. We had 3/4 really good scoring opportunities yesterday and didn't take any of them. Convert two of them and cut out the daft mistakes and penalties and we would have got something from the game

We,re not going to get the luxury of 6/7 chances that we get in div one so we've got to make each one count.
    In quite a few games we've scuffed the shot and sent it straight at a defender or the keeper.

Agree that we probably need to stop rotating the forwards so they can establish themselves. Hirst and Freddie with perhaps Smudge as a late sub occasionally

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast