+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Reading Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Best we have played all season. Can't score we can't win.. barlaser had good first half. Didn't get a kick 2nd half
    I noticed that they man marked him with their number 8

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    Ironically we deserved something from both the Norwich game, and today, but got nothing, and we could and should have been buried at forest but got a point, it's a funny old game.
    All of their goals today were so avoidable and even accepting the great finish for the second goal, how the F**k does any striker get that amount of room in a crowded penalty area?
    We need one of our strikers to start getting their act together, because make no mistake we are creating some really good chances as well as decent half chances and as we all know goals change games, just ask reading today.
    Yes frustrating but not the end of the world so bring on Wednesday....ironically on Wednesday.
    Warne has taken responsibility for the second goal. He told Freddy to stay up and he should have been marking the goal scorer

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I don't think it's accurate to say we aren't creating chances. We had 3/4 really good scoring opportunities yesterday and didn't take any of them. Convert two of them and cut out the daft mistakes and penalties and we would have got something from the game

We,re not going to get the luxury of 6/7 chances that we get in div one so we've got to make each one count.
    In quite a few games we've scuffed the shot and sent it straight at a defender or the keeper.

Agree that we probably need to stop rotating the forwards so they can establish themselves. Hirst and Freddie with perhaps Smudge as a late sub occasionally
    I can remember the Hurst chance as a clear cut opportunity but can't remember any others. Might be my memory, but who else missed a really good chance?

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Warne has taken responsibility for the second goal. He told Freddy to stay up and he should have been marking the goal scorer
    Fair point. Was a wee bit early to be taking defensive chances by leaving markers up front but you don't get away with much in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    Maybe you're right Raging. Talking of Hirst ,I suppose he can take comfort that Harry Kane didn't really start coming to the fore until he was 22! A lot of the squad have a really big season from a personal point of view to really see how good they really are. My Son is a sports science graduate and has played Rugby from school level to Club academy level to South Yorkshire to Yorkshire to North of England and finally got found out at England Under 20 trials....he'd reached his summit! He always says that as you progress up the rungs of the ladder that it isn't necessarily about skill sets or technique rather the less and less time you have to exercise them. Its instinctual to a point which you can't coach no matter how long you run and run around a training ground. Lets hope there are enough of the Millers squad that haven't reached their summit and for the good of the club and their futures can make it to another rung!
    Interesting way of looking at it Jimmy. Makes much sense. I think you can see that many of our squad are clearly better than league 1 but the question is are there enough of them and can they stay fit? One of them I would def say was Oggie, Barlaser another. I'd also include Ike and the two Macs but not sure about other clear cuts. I had high hopes for Crookes but not a great start for him. Think he'll come good though. Harding looking promising but tends to make mistakes. Wiles looks good at this level also but not really in his best position. There are several hopefuls that might settle at champ level but remains to be seen if they can perch on this 'rung'

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I don't think it's accurate to say we aren't creating chances. We had 3/4 really good scoring opportunities yesterday and didn't take any of them. Convert two of them and cut out the daft mistakes and penalties and we would have got something from the game

We,re not going to get the luxury of 6/7 chances that we get in div one so we've got to make each one count.
    In quite a few games we've scuffed the shot and sent it straight at a defender or the keeper.

Agree that we probably need to stop rotating the forwards so they can establish themselves. Hirst and Freddie with perhaps Smudge as a late sub occasionally
    Really don't agree.

3/4 opportunities that we didn't come close on scoring from, we had 63% possession across the 90+ minutes and you think that 3-4 opportunities is okay?

In contrast, Reading had 37% possession, created 4-5 opportunities and scored 3 albeit one was a penalty.

Grist often goes on about us needing a defensive coach. That may be true but maybe we also need a forwards coach.

I wonder if the key to us creating more chances is getting the correct no10. Warne is always going on about the number of players who can play that role. Why not try it for a while. Tree was ok in league 1 in this role but I think you need someone with a bit more guile in this league. The obvious one for me would be Sadlier but if warne is so sure a lot of players can do it why not give somebody a run in that role and he may find someone who is an expert at it. It would mean we would play 4 4 1 1 or if really brave 4 3 1 2 (maybe at home? )

Tend to agree with Yak that warne has not found the team he wants yet but I also think he hasn't found his formation. Against teams where we have nowt really to lose it might be worth that bit of experimentation.

I don't think all is lost yet but he has got to form a plan and stick to it. Give it a run for at least 3 or 4 games.

I also think the nice guy in Warney means he feels he needs to rotate the squad to give everyone a game. This might be a nic ething to do and keep the players sweet but it doesn't get us results. If you don't perform you lose your shirt, it should be that simple. I was disappointed with Smith yesterday. First game in a while and I thought he would bust a gut to impress but it was a lack lustre performance from him that was not even up to te standard he set the last time we were in this division. Warne needs to drop him again because of this.

I think you have to start with Freddie because he is at least capable of scoring if you get the ball to him.

I have a feeling Hirst could come good against the porkers but I'm not sure I would start him. Maybe bring him on for a last minute winner for us for a change against them. Now that would be good!
    Last edited by rolymiller; 25-10-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    I think the issue is Warne doesn’t k ow his best 11.
    The constant changing of forwards all the time is not working.
    There are some who believe league 1 is the managers level.
    That maybe a bit harsh imo however we can’t keep making excuses about playing well.
    Definitely doesn’t know his best side.
    I think he could be a championship manager but he needs to use his head and stop making stupid mistakes, needs to look at wtf he’s doing with his subbing.

The players are there Warney but you need to know who partners best
    Last edited by millertop; 25-10-2020 at 01:58 PM.

The subs have been poor agreed mtop. At least play them in their correct position if nowt else unless your hand is totally forced. AND dont even put em on if you dont need to ie we are holding our own ok atm.

The other thing is Wiles. What a talent but if we keep playing him out of his best position ie CM he will end up jack of all trades and master of none. It's not fair on the lad. It is better to drop him from the first 11 and get him to compete for CM spot than play him out of position.

Warne will probably get it right eventually but if we are 10 points adrift at the bottom when he does it will be too late.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 25-10-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy442 View Post
    I agree with you on the side looking as though it can hold it's own in the Championship, but the table doesn't lie. We are losing points in games where we should be getting something from the game. This preoccupation with pace is not the only answer, in any case pace alone doesn't create opportunities! You have to have end product as well as pace. What's needed is that player in the last third with vision, creativity and an eye for a pass, the picking up of positions in and around the opposition box and incisive defence cutting passes, crosses and being able to get a shot off with either foot from distance, none of this is has been evident in the last third over the last few games, yet we have exactly that player sat on the bench.
    I don't understand why you are bigging Sadlier up so much. From what we've seen so far he's average at best, his end product is poor and he repeatedly loses possession. Apart from that he's the obvious answer 😉

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast