+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will The U.K. Fishermen Get Shafted?

Will The U.K. Fishermen Get Shafted?

I have a horrible feeling they will as Brexit talks enter the final stretch.

It seems to be the biggest single issue holding up a free trade agreement.

I get the feeling they’ll end up being the sacrificial lamb which is very sad if true.

We should allow them to fish but only to strict quotas and anything that gives them carte blanche is going to be impossible for them coastal constituencies to swallow.

They’re about to go under the bus for the “greater good” as it’ll no doubt be painted.

Yes they will get shafted big time

Something has to go to get a compromise and as the fishing industry is around 0.1% of the GDP why not them if it gets a deal done. Rather lose fishing (which we won’t totally) than get a no deal.

My family were in coal mining for generations and we know nothing lasts for ever.

More than half of the UK's fishing industry is based in remain voting Scotland!

If there is no deal and EU fishermen have their UK quotas cut then one or all have a very good chance

1. French boats would block Calais within heures. All trade between UK and EU would be badly affected.

2. French fishing boats would attack the much smaller UK boats fishing legally with rocks and flares. This has already occurred and would greatly increase.

3. French and Spanish boats would simply ignore the new rules. How would we police it? Send in the navy to blow them out the water? Tempting I know but I can't see it! French police intervening? Bon chance with that one.

4. EU fisherman would blockade access to their own ports. The vast majority of UK fish is exported and this would have serious consequences.

My heart very much says let's take control but my head says our fishermen will be shafted

Regarding who gets ‘shafted’, it would be fair to say all of us. We are all being ‘shafted’ by the dishonest Brexit propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post

If there is no deal and EU fishermen have their UK quotas cut then one or all have a very good chance

1. French boats would block Calais within heures. All trade between UK and EU would be badly affected.

2. French fishing boats would attack the much smaller UK boats fishing legally with rocks and flares. This has already occurred and would greatly increase.

3. French and Spanish boats would simply ignore the new rules. How would we police it? Send in the navy to blow them out the water? Tempting I know but I can't see it! French police intervening? Bon chance with that one.

4. EU fisherman would blockade access to their own ports. The vast majority of UK fish is exported and this would have serious consequences.

My heart very much says let's take control but my head says our fishermen will be shafted
    We don't have a fishing fleet big enough to exploit the new regime. Compromise has to happen. My view is that we should impose a levy on foreign craft fishing in our waters (OUR quotas) and use the money to rebuild our fleet over time. EU get the fish, we get the money

Quote Originally Posted by Titchfieldbaggie View Post
    We don't have a fishing fleet big enough to exploit the new regime. Compromise has to happen. My view is that we should impose a levy on foreign craft fishing in our waters (OUR quotas) and use the money to rebuild our fleet over time. EU get the fish, we get the money
    Great idea but I think they’ll just fish and steal the fish they want anyway due to us not being able to police it.

Greenpeace's take on UK fishing rights.......

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...-michael-gove/

...... Courtesy of Crispin Dowler, 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Greenpeace's take on UK fishing rights.......

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/201...-michael-gove/

...... Courtesy of Crispin Dowler, 2018.
    Exactly what I would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post

The fishing ports of both Fraserburgh, Moray and Peterhead all voted in their constituencies to leave. Most of the UK fishing ports did including Cornwall. I agree though, our fishermen will get shafted. They deserve better despite some saying it's a small price to pay. as they've already paid the price once before. They were the sacrificial lambs when Heath dropped his pants to appease De Gaul to pave the way for our entry in to the Common market once De Gaul had got the Common Agricultural Policy passed to appease and subsidise inefficient French Farmers who were the backbone of his support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)