When he is interviewed he seems so even tempered. He must be in his thirties, but comes across as about 75. His assessments of games stick to the facts, with a tactical understanding, and not much else. A little bit of pleasure does leak out but not much.

He gives the impression of being ahead of the game in every aspect, that a plan already exists for every eventuality. It would be hard not to be managed by such intelligence and a path out of all eventualities. Nothing seems to knock him sideways, not yet anyway.

There is clearly a philosophy in there, and he doesnt live day to day.

Having said that, i have no doubt Walsall will win 3-0 tuesday, i want to hear his voice waver, and struggle for words. I want him struggle to control his rage at players who foul up royally. I am sure being manager of Cambridge United has fomented dodgy mental health in most incumbents. Listening to Shaun Derry, and Graham Daniels led me to phone Fulbourn to enquire about a bed and restraints. Only kidding.

When things go wrong, can he fix it, or at least make it better. A person who manages a football club will have the potential for sorrow, ecstasy, and madness knocking on their door.

At the moment at least, Bonner seems to be a safe port.

Come on Walsall, put a dent in Bonner.