+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From The Vault

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    That's what Pavis himself had done as a kid, which was fairly typical at the time but once you get to the 1960s each new generation of football fan in this city is largely split between looking across the river with smug satisfaction or resentment. There was enough older supporters with a foot in both camps in the 1970s to have tipped the balance in our favour, but once Clough started having success, that ship sailed.
    So typically Notts that we finally hit the big time when they put themselves up there with the Man Utd’s and Liverpool’s of English football.

The worst quote I've come across was Jack Dunnett in September 1974, he was appealing for gates of 14,000 on a day we got 10k v West Brom in tier 2, he said "'We will survive, but it may mean we will drop down to the Fourth Division by selling - and that is why I want our supporters to be warned.' Needless to say the next four gates were lower than any that season before he made the statement.
    I must admit I was a stay away fan through from 1978 to about 92, A lot happened in my personal life and I fell out and lost interest in football, I stopped going and packed up playing. I didn't see Notts in their best years so can't be accused of being a glory hunter.
    A workmate convinced me to go to the Notts/Spurs cup game when we won 3-0 and I started to take an interest again and became a regular during the Alladyce reign. Not a lot to shout about though the last 20 odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I must admit I was a stay away fan through from 1978 to about 92, A lot happened in my personal life and I fell out and lost interest in football, I stopped going and packed up playing. I didn't see Notts in their best years so can't be accused of being a glory hunter.
    A workmate convinced me to go to the Notts/Spurs cup game when we won 3-0 and I started to take an interest again and became a regular during the Alladyce reign. Not a lot to shout about though the last 20 odd years.
    I reckon a fair percentage will say the 1969-77 period was more enjoyable than 1980-92, I was too young for the former but all things considered there's a good case to be made that the 1970s was the best time to be a Notts fan this side of the Lawton era. For football in general it was definitely the case.

The worst quote I've come across was Jack Dunnett in September 1974, he was appealing for gates of 14,000 on a day we got 10k v West Brom in tier 2, he said "'We will survive, but it may mean we will drop down to the Fourth Division by selling - and that is why I want our supporters to be warned.' Needless to say the next four gates were lower than any that season before he made the statement.
    I remember that match, finished 0 0, Masson had a penalty saved at the meadow lane end, west Brom played in broad yellow and green striped shirts, pale blue shorts and yellow stockings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123