+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From The Vault

From The Vault

A look back at Notts County vs Arsenal, Division 1, 3 October 1981 …

https://www.nottscountystats.com/pos...lt-03-oct-1981

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post

Great times with a team to be proud of!!

Remember that game well....standing on the Kop and being punched from behind by a cowardly gooner....and he nicked my black & white bobble hat!

Quote Originally Posted by for*sttown63 View Post
    Great times with a team to be proud of!!

Remember that game well....standing on the Kop and being punched from behind by a cowardly gooner....and he nicked my black & white bobble hat!
    I think that happened a few times after home fans were allowed on the Kop after the segregation, in 1980 I think? Fancy nicking your hat!

Thanks for that. Brought back memories of standing at the front of the Main Stand and freezing to death until those two late goals cheered me up. Really was the turning point that season - stopped the rot. Loved that kit, too.

Our first ever appearance on MOTD as a top flight club and the commentator opens by casting us in a negative light because of empty spaces on the terraces. And yet Arsenal, the opponents, had played in front of just 19,000 at Highbury in a League game less than two weeks earlier, this being a club that had averaged 40,000 plus 8 years prior. QPR, who were on the BBC's doorstep, had averaged 10.936 the previous season. Yes, we were struggling to attract crowds for obvious reasons but a club that gets a reputation for being one that struggles to attract support will continue to do so. It is not a selling point.

Sadly the BBC were almost certainly not to blame for this, I suspect Parry had a pre-match chat with Dunnett or Neal Hook and that set the tone for his introduction. Terrible PR by Notts. Obviously Dunnett did an amazing job in many respects but his and successive owners attempts to guilt trip people into turning up to the ground was incredibly self defeating.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Thanks for that. Brought back memories of standing at the front of the Main Stand and freezing to death until those two late goals cheered me up. Really was the turning point that season - stopped the rot. Loved that kit, too.
    Great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Our first ever appearance on MOTD as a top flight club and the commentator opens by casting us in a negative light because of empty spaces on the terraces. And yet Arsenal, the opponents, had played in front of just 19,000 at Highbury in a League game less than two weeks earlier, this being a club that had averaged 40,000 plus 8 years prior. QPR, who were on the BBC's doorstep, had averaged 10.936 the previous season. Yes, we were struggling to attract crowds for obvious reasons but a club that gets a reputation for being one that struggles to attract support will continue to do so. It is not a selling point.

Sadly the BBC were almost certainly not to blame for this, I suspect Parry had a pre-match chat with Dunnett or Neal Hook and that set the tone for his introduction. Terrible PR by Notts. Obviously Dunnett did an amazing job in many respects but his and successive owners attempts to guilt trip people into turning up to the ground was incredibly self defeating.
    Just added fire to the whole unfashionable tag as well!

Just added fire to the whole unfashionable tag as well!
    Pavis and Trew made the same mistake.
    Hardy was the only chairman who got that side of things right. Sadly not in others but there's a lesson to be learned here.

I hope the current owners don't fall into the trap of whinging to the converted, it achieves nothing other than leaving existing supporters with the feeling they're backing a lost cause.

I think that happened a few times after home fans were allowed on the Kop after the segregation, in 1980 I think? Fancy nicking your hat!
    I had a run in with a Man Utd fan on there and got a bit of a pasting although it was my fault that one I was a cocky ****ager.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Pavis and Trew made the same mistake.
    Hardy was the only chairman who got that side of things right. Sadly not in others but there's a lesson to be learned here.

I hope the current owners don't fall into the trap of whinging to the converted, it achieves nothing other than leaving existing supporters with the feeling they're backing a lost cause.
    I did feel somewhat sorry for Pavis. He put together a great set-up and some really exciting times. His redevelopment of ML was incredible, especially when he did 3 sides of the ground in one close season. He had his faults of course but I do think we are much better for having him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast