+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newcastle Match Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by theplater View Post
    We do not put teams to the sword when we should. Apart from a few games against lesser teams, like last season season in Europe, we haven't scored more than 3 since Nuno's been here. We play too slow, don't get numbers into the box or have enough support going forward. It is our achilles heel. That hasn't been to much of an issue when we set up to play counter attacking but in the games we know we are going to dominate it is a big issue. I am furious we threw today's game away. Newcastle had no intention of trying to win that game and didn't really even try to attack until they went a goal behind. Then they had to.....and what did we do? We let them. It's ****ing criminal! Once we scored we should have carried on pushing forward for a second but we didn't. Nuno can't be above blame or criticism and today he got it wrong. Podence should not have been subbed. We didn't need to waste a substitution on swapping Neves when Dendonker was already doing a great job in shoring things up. Swiss is not a wing back and if Marcel was fit he should have started in the first place. Newcastle are bang average at best and at the minute Wolves have stopped moving forward. We won't go down this season and at the minute that's the best I can say about us. I'm sick of seeing and hearing pundits disregard us despite our last two seasons, and claiming if we have over- achieved....but after the last few games it's hard to disagree. We should have buried Fulham ffs but we struggled across the line. I know Nuno wants us to move away from the counter attacking side we've become renowned for but he better start making us more futhless sooner rather that later. The next window is only two months away....I think we need to use it!
    hey up steve, hope you and les are both ok,

i have said on an earlier thread that this wolves side will not lot score a lot of goals.
    also agree that it was a strange decision taking podence off, he was the only threat to a " not bothered "'newcy side.
    deffo 2 points lost here.
    too late now , but we should not have let jota go.

Morning Plater, it's a long time since we have had one of your rants. Much of it I agree with by the way.

Newcastle offered very little but when you look at our previous meetings 73% of our games with them have ended in draws. (8 from 11). In all of the eleven games both sides have scored a goal. At least we tried to win the game, and had chances to put the result beyond doubt.

I thought that their free kick was a soft one and their player dived rather theatrically after very little contact by Cody. You could tell by Cody's reaction that he thought the ref had been conned. Having said that, the wall didn't do it's job. It's difficult to criticise our keeper because he has saved us on so many occasions, but he should have lined the wall up better. Perhaps he was expecting the kick to be taken by the left footed player.

As well all know Nuno is trying to change our stile of play and it will take time. The signs were there and it was certainly a better performance than against Leeds. Yes we threw away two points, gutting, but I recall Boly heading an 95th minute equaliser against the Geordies a few seasons ago, and their supporters must have had a terrible trip back to the North East.

Early days, and a long way to go, still our best ever start to a season in the Premier League though. Have faith folks.

I share Platers frustration, but agree with Abbo that patience is key here. This ‘transition’ we’re going through may take a season of pain, you can’t override three years work in a few weeks.

One thing I don't understand is why Traore doesn't start when we face a team that'll let us have possession. He's one of the few players on our squad that can create something from nothing. I know he's most dangerous on the counter, but he is also great at taking players on. Sure, he'll lose the ball every now and then, but he'll also beat his man and get a cross in. Just seems like when we are in possession, we just pass the ball on the perimeter of the defense and can't do anything with it before we decide to make a lazy pass and turn the ball over.

Mich, in order to get Traore to start, who do you drop from the starting eleven? We have tried him at wing back and he just does not have the aerobic capacity to run up and down like Semedo or like Doc used to. He at the moment, is an impact player, a great threat to bring on late in the game or even at half time. You cannot drop Podence or Neto the way they are playing.

There may be a fixture coming up when he fits the bill to start, but and Nuno will make that decision.

Wait till he has another of his so called "unstoppable" games and then sell him. Nuno has brought him as far as he is going to go as a player, he is not a "natural" and is not going to develop any further.

Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Mich, in order to get Traore to start, who do you drop from the starting eleven? We have tried him at wing back and he just does not have the aerobic capacity to run up and down like Semedo or like Doc used to. He at the moment, is an impact player, a great threat to bring on late in the game or even at half time. You cannot drop Podence or Neto the way they are playing.

There may be a fixture coming up when he fits the bill to start, but and Nuno will make that decision.
    I’d rather have him out there than Saiss at WB against a team that is going to let us have the ball. He’s played 75+ minutes plenty of times in the past at WB and in the front 3.

Now, due to him having COVID in September, maybe it has had an effect on how much his lungs can take at the moment. But he played the whole game at WB against Sheffield United and Man City and I thought he was fine .

Hi Greasley old friend. Lesley and myself are fine thanks. I thought it was about time I started interacting on the board a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    I’d rather have him out there than Saiss at WB against a team that is going to let us have the ball. He’s played 75+ minutes plenty of times in the past at WB and in the front 3.

Now, due to him having COVID in September, maybe it has had an effect on how much his lungs can take at the moment. But he played the whole game at WB against Sheffield United and Man City and I thought he was fine .
    Mich, Saiss has being doing ok, but I agree he is no wing back. He may have to be the sacrificial lamb to accommodate Adama. If they play Traore on the left Kilman will have to work hard behind him. It is exciting when the Spaniard gets the ball and runs at defenders, he gets supporters off their seats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)