+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T Government Contracts Handed Out During The Pandemic

And eventually who should pay for all of this help?

Should it be all of us or just those that received help?

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post

I'd imagine everyone in an ideal world given everyone directly or indirectly has had the benefit .

What do you think ? .

Am guessing it'll be the same as the last twelve years following the global bank/finance collapse. The wealthier parts/ people of the economy will be bailed out, rewarded and protected and the Ordinary Joe will pay for years with austerity, low wages, public sector cuts (clap for the key workers), unemployment and tax rises.

My reference was to the fuel allowances that you made , I also had free school meals , my mother was a widow in her mid thirties , i've known more hard times than good that's for sure , we've had our fair share of tradgedys in our family , house fire killed my 14 year old sister, lost a brother to meningitis age 33 , yet we never scrounged like these leeches today , wanting everything and contributing nothing , that's who I'm referring to , snotty faced still ****ting yellow types , i worked 47 years and paid for everything I've ever had , nothing given , Shameless Britain , despite all the handouts it's never enough for some .

Mixed feelings really Animal. Undoubtedly lots of people needed financial help but some didnt need it but got it. Same with the non repayable grants handed out to businesses some needed it, some didnt but still took it.

When you compare this 'free money' with what they do to students and the loan system it just doesnt feel right. Interest at RPI +3% ffs.

I spent many years working in the benefit system and have done many good things for needy people so its not the case that I begrudge the help but I dont understand why its not repayable in some way or to some degree. Easing the burden on the public purse to some extent.

Well have to see what the chancellor announces on recovering the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    My reference was to the fuel allowances that you made , I also had free school meals , my mother was a widow in her mid thirties , i've known more hard times than good that's for sure , we've had our fair share of tradgedys in our family , house fire killed my 14 year old sister, lost a brother to meningitis age 33 , yet we never scrounged like these leeches today , wanting everything and contributing nothing , that's who I'm referring to , snotty faced still ****ting yellow types , i worked 47 years and paid for everything I've ever had , nothing given , Shameless Britain , despite all the handouts it's never enough for some .
    You get the fuel allowance because the government deems it's difficult for pensioners to pay their heating bills , in the vast majority of cases this will be true but not always either ....

Kids get free school meals because it deems some parents struggle to put food on the table including working parents , I'll accept that some parents lifestyle choices are let's say suspect , I won't argue with that but far far from everyone .

You still seem to want to concentrate on the lower paid end of society and won't attempt to contribute to the points I've highlighted about the government contracts going to a select few of tory party donors and friends of people in the government which was the original point of my posts .

So I say again , I don't understand why you would do that .

Surely you want taxpayer value across all levels of society wouldn't you ?

Mixed feelings really Animal. Undoubtedly lots of people needed financial help but some didnt need it but got it. Same with the non repayable grants handed out to businesses some needed it, some didnt but still took it.

When you compare this 'free money' with what they do to students and the loan system it just doesnt feel right. Interest at RPI +3% ffs.

I spent many years working in the benefit system and have done many good things for needy people so its not the case that I begrudge the help but I dont understand why its not repayable in some way or to some degree. Easing the burden on the public purse to some extent.

Well have to see what the chancellor announces on recovering the cost.
    I guess with the speed the government had to act with the pandemic taking hold there wasn't time to shut down the obvious loopholes within the furlough scheme and other financial support .

Nobody I knew asked to be furloughed mind , it wasn't our decision and neither personally did I know if I was ever going to be going back , it wasn't without worry at my time of life .

There's bound to be tax rises further down the line but not for a year or two yet because the economy is massively harmed even with the schemes that we've seen .

At what level those tax rises play out is probably more the issue .

The higher earners taking a hit perhaps ?

I'm not sure myself how this will go because with an election on the horizon in two years time that's bound to come in to government thinking .

The austerity route as we saw under previous coalition and Tory governments may not be the best play either .

They could take the longer route as we did with the WW2 debt and inflate the bugga away but that relies on strong growth for a few decades , that's not looking too grand either .

To cut a long story short , feck knows Ethel .

I hope they take the long view on this with moderate rises in tax. More emphasis on getting big corporations to pay their dues might be good. Ive just taken my pension after 40 years of contribution and from a purely selfish point of view I will be pyssed of its value is eroded by tax rises affecting that income.

I hope they take the long view on this with moderate rises in tax. More emphasis on getting big corporations to pay their dues might be good. Ive just taken my pension after 40 years of contribution and from a purely selfish point of view I will be pyssed of its value is eroded by tax rises affecting that income.
    Well this is what pyses folk off when ordinary working people get hit on their earnings and pensions and the likes of Amazon etc can find perfectly legal loopholes not to .

I'd suggest Amazon have done very well out of this pandemic Ethel and it wouldn't hurt for them to contribute at least more than they do .

Good luck with that one though .

Best plan I've heard purely from my point of view of course is to let us old buggas claim our state pension if we want at 60 , not mandatory mind and let these young folk take our jobs .

The younger ones spend more than we do so it would benefit the economy far more than them on the rock n roll .

Besides all that it will be the younger end who will be paying this bugga off in the decades to come .

That won't happen either though .

Theres one thing thats certain, you cant please everyone. Theres always someone who will feel aggrieved. My son for example might have to pay increased taxes and student loan of about 50K. What will he have left each month to regenerate the economy?

Weve not had a pandemic of this proportion since the 1920's and the world is a different place now, there isnt a blue print to follow so the government have their work cut out in my opinion.

It will all come out in time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123