+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    We can't score goals, in fact we can barely create a chance. But why, and how do we fix it? I actually think it's quite hard to put your finger on, be interested to read what others thought. Is it the system, the level of players we have, the coaching? I know whatever is said will be pure speculation but it'd be interesting to read all the same.
    A few reasons but main one for me is Defence and Midfield not got enough composure on the ball to string passes together

Our players aren't good enough. Pure & simple. We stuttered to the Championship title last season. One win in nine or something like that? We have almost the exact same team and are hoping they can do it at a higher level. It's just not gonna happen. We needed a good summer of recruitment and instead we bought a defender no better than what we have, a midfielder who's played one game of professional football in his life and a youth player who again, is no better than what we have. We've since bought two players who 'should' improve us, but unfortunately neither are fit. This is gonna take a long time to turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    The system MM is playing is starving the forwards, Bolton doesnt get forward enough and isn't that great either, we offer nothing going forward from the middle of the park, 3 at the back is dreadful as is the rest of the set up.

We're creating nothing, no shots on target, midfielders who pass back and side and sit right in front of the defence. Zero width for years now. Butcher/Powers/Harkes are all struggling massively. PP is inured again which sad to say is a blessing, MM clearly doesnt like McMullan or Appere and couldnt think too much of any of the young lads he's put out on loan.

I can see what ahlltan is saying as we aren't getting horsed but we're also not scoring. Its poor as f uck but we're tap 6 so what can you really do or say. MM is playing this pretty cleverly, set up to not get beat which is all we can do to stay up this season
    Got agree with what said here but surely we have to get passes forward or someone out wide to cross a ball. Some creatively in the team would have been better than bringing in a defender who so far isn't any better than what we have and a young guy who's hardly played a first team game and gets loaned out. I'm not saying they 2 players won't do well for us but at moment we needed guys who would have brought more to the team. Hope Fuchs at least does some forward passing to strikers

I'm gonna leave Shankland, McNulty and Clark out of this one, as they are not getting the service, so how can anyone judge them on that? I'm also gonna leave Siegrist out of this as he is player of the season so far!

The defensive unit as a whole by results you cannot deny is good enough. But one of these games, someone is gonna capitalize on our perpetual inability to turn that defence into attack and get the ball up the other end of the park!

At the weekend, there was times where we could pass the ball around the defensive unit quite comfortably, but as soon as Connolly and Harkes went long, the ball was lost and heading straight back at us. Strangely enough, St Johnstone were turning defence into attack in a way I expect us to, and I dont think had anyone remarkably better than us to do this.

The difference in Harkes in the 2 St Johnstone games is quite noticable and I might be inclined to think it was 2 different players!

Everyone has said it in their own way - lack of composure, lack of quality, launching it forward too early and the 5 at the back system.
    5 at the back means we have sacrificed a midfield player when we play 2 up front.
    As Shedka said, a 4 at the back would give us that 4 back in midfield. Problem is the back 5 have done what MM has set out to do, make us hard to break down so I can't see him changing it just as the 5 are getting settled.
    But...assuming Liam Smith is fit we could go 442 with

......Benji....
    Smith....Edwards...Connolly...Reynolds
    Bolton...Fuchs..Butcher/Powers...Robson
    .......Shankland....McNulty..

At least while Chalmers and Sporle are out that might give us a better balance and might be worth an outing. But I'm expecting more of the same...

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Everyone has said it in their own way - lack of composure, lack of quality, launching it forward too early and the 5 at the back system.
    5 at the back means we have sacrificed a midfield player when we play 2 up front.
    As Shedka said, a 4 at the back would give us that 4 back in midfield. Problem is the back 5 have done what MM has set out to do, make us hard to break down so I can't see him changing it just as the 5 are getting settled.
    But...assuming Liam Smith is fit we could go 442 with

......Benji....
    Smith....Edwards...Connolly...Reynolds
    Bolton...Fuchs..Butcher/Powers...Robson
    .......Shankland....McNulty..

At least while Chalmers and Sporle are out that might give us a better balance and might be worth an outing. But I'm expecting more of the same...
    Reynolds would get buried at left back mate he has barely got the legs for centre half at our current level.

I do see where you are coming from in an attacking sense but i would be very surprised if Reynolds ever plays at fullback again for United.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I do see where you are coming from in an attacking sense but i would be very surprised if Reynolds ever plays at fullback again for United.
    It's intended to be a back 5 when we're defending with Robson dropping back in. But trying to get a balance between defence midfield and attack with the players available is like trying to find a colour picture of a Fun cup win 😁

Posted by a zoomer on TEK just now..

"With Dundee being placed into Tier 3 restrictions I doubt we'll see fans back at Tannadice for a while yet.
    Pity too, because I'm itching to give the hopeless *******s on the park and in the dugout absolute dogs abuse if we continue to suffer ****e like last Saturday.

Last edited by lifesanocean (Today 8:34 pm)"

This is what MM is up against.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Posted by a zoomer on TEK just now..

"With Dundee being placed into Tier 3 restrictions I doubt we'll see fans back at Tannadice for a while yet.
    Pity too, because I'm itching to give the hopeless *******s on the park and in the dugout absolute dogs abuse if we continue to suffer ****e like last Saturday.

Last edited by lifesanocean (Today 8:34 pm)"

This is what MM is up against.
    FN shocking,i gie up mate honest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)