+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is wrong at the moment?

What is wrong at the moment?

We can't score goals, in fact we can barely create a chance. But why, and how do we fix it? I actually think it's quite hard to put your finger on, be interested to read what others thought. Is it the system, the level of players we have, the coaching? I know whatever is said will be pure speculation but it'd be interesting to read all the same.

I'd say it was fairly obvious- our midfield is rank rotten. We have one of the best strikers in Scotland but he ain't going to score if he doesn't get the ball. We have no creativity, they are happy to tippy tap the ball from side to side and backwards, and that's assuming they can find another player with a pass. I'd say it was 100% down to the level of players we have, they were barely good enough for the Championship, they're certainly not good enough now. There is only one way to solve it and it didn't happen during the transfer window so unless Mr Fuchs can turn things around on his own (highly unlikely) we won't improve much this season.

Jings , where to start.

Massive lack of creativity in the midfield, passing is awful, lack of width, the commitment and urgency from earlier has fallen away. The defence is not good enough.

However trying to be positive, this was always going to be a difficult season after all that has gone on before. We are in a reasonable place in the league at present. The aim is to stay up, hopefully comfortably. I would be happy with that.

At present it is awful to watch to put it mildly. It will improve...hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    I'd say it was fairly obvious- our midfield is rank rotten. We have one of the best strikers in Scotland but he ain't going to score if he doesn't get the ball. We have no creativity, they are happy to tippy tap the ball from side to side and backwards, and that's assuming they can find another player with a pass. I'd say it was 100% down to the level of players we have, they were barely good enough for the Championship, they're certainly not good enough now. There is only one way to solve it and it didn't happen during the transfer window so unless Mr Fuchs can turn things around on his own (highly unlikely) we won't improve much this season.
    Is the actual problem the wide players (lack of quality in that position) then? As far as I can tell these guys are meant to be the creative force in our current setup but aren't doing anything of note. Are they being told to defend first and foremost? The other source of creativity is the #10 role which Clark is currently filling. It's just not his position, certainly at this level, and I don't think we have this at the moment.

I think the issue is the way Mellon wants to play, it doesn't involve short passing or running at teams. Its fast, direct, longer balls into space. It doesn't suit our midfield or strikers. So either Mellon has to change the way he wants to play, or needs to bring in players that will suit his style.

For me, I think MM is now going about this in the right way, it’s fine and good saying we are going to play free flowing attacking fitba but if we’re getting hosed on with the players we’ve got then that thinking has to go oot the windae. Now the focus would appear to be on stopping the other team scoring and would look like he’s having success with this, and at the very least we get a draw, it’s no bonnie to watch but is effective. Once we get this part of the side right, maybe the focus can then be on his original idea of how he wants to see the team play. IIRC, did Craig Levein not embark on a similar style and we did not too badly?

Quote Originally Posted by ahlltanyirhide View Post
    For me, I think MM is now going about this in the right way, it’s fine and good saying we are going to play free flowing attacking fitba but if we’re getting hosed on with the players we’ve got then that thinking has to go oot the windae. Now the focus would appear to be on stopping the other team scoring and would look like he’s having success with this, and at the very least we get a draw, it’s no bonnie to watch but is effective. Once we get this part of the side right, maybe the focus can then be on his original idea of how he wants to see the team play. IIRC, did Craig Levein not embark on a similar style and we did not too badly?
    That's a fair analysis, like it.

The system MM is playing is starving the forwards, Bolton doesnt get forward enough and isn't that great either, we offer nothing going forward from the middle of the park, 3 at the back is dreadful as is the rest of the set up.

We're creating nothing, no shots on target, midfielders who pass back and side and sit right in front of the defence. Zero width for years now. Butcher/Powers/Harkes are all struggling massively. PP is inured again which sad to say is a blessing, MM clearly doesnt like McMullan or Appere and couldnt think too much of any of the young lads he's put out on loan.

I can see what ahlltan is saying as we aren't getting horsed but we're also not scoring. Its poor as f uck but we're tap 6 so what can you really do or say. MM is playing this pretty cleverly, set up to not get beat which is all we can do to stay up this season

Agree with a lot of what has been said. Biggest issue for me is not getting beyond the front men. We are so deep, the midfield have such a large area to cover that, either wide or centrally, they struggle to get beyond the forwards and stretch the game. Honestly think it is confidence. 4-0 losses and individual mistakes has damaged confidence. Time will be all that is needed to help.

Unpopular opinion perhaps, but for me Shankland hasnt really performed yet. Sure it is just time and match sharpness after the injury. Not sure we can put it all down to lack of service though. Would like to see him force his way into the game more and be a leader.

Personally think that gradual improvement is likely and there isnt as much doom and gloom as is feared.

That said, a big three league games coming!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    We can't score goals, in fact we can barely create a chance. But why, and how do we fix it? I actually think it's quite hard to put your finger on, be interested to read what others thought. Is it the system, the level of players we have, the coaching? I know whatever is said will be pure speculation but it'd be interesting to read all the same.

For me is more the system and set up that is causing the problems especially from midfield, at the same time result wise two draws is fine in the two fixtures just passed providing we do well in the next three

I think if we get on to a more balanced system and can find consistency in selection of our best team then we will improve as they're is no way we are playing as well as we were at our best last season regardless of opposition

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)