+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that are ruining the game.....

Things that are ruining the game.....

.... speaks for itself really. I will list some of the things I don't like and, hopefully, offer a remedy to them. Please feel free to add your own pet peeves in the gae and any solution you may have to the list.

1. VAR. Not the idea of it as I'm with that all the way. What I want is for the FA/EFL/PL (and I realise it's not being used in the EFL at the moment) to use it as it was intended to be used as opposed to the current "look what we in England can afford that the rest of the world can't". The stated use in the FIFA regs on VAR is clear and concise and I would not extend the scope There are 4 areas the VAR should look at, however, it is intended to prevent CLEAR ADND OBVIOUS ERRORS.
    IMO, the discounted Liverpool winner against Everton was neither clear nor obvious and the VAR should not have overruled it just because he can. It took an age and that can in no way be deemed clear and obvious. I can see 2 possibilities and you can, and probably will, add more.
    A. Put a time limit on VAR reviews. If you can't tell it's offside inside, for instance, 30 seconds (or a different time period) then it's not clear nor is it obvious and the original decision should stand
    B. Go down the "tennis" route and give managers 2 challenges a half. If they are proven right they don't lose a challenge. Remaining challenges from the first half do not get carried over to the 2nd half. In Cup ties going to 30 minutes extra time they get 1 challenge with no carry over from the 2nd half.

2. Players going down "injured" to take the momentum away from the opposition. Allow the physio/doctor onto the field of play to tend to the player whilst play continues. The physio/doc has to go round the pitch to the point on a line closest to the "injured" player. The player is tended where he lies. When the treatment is finished, the player and the physio/doc leave the field at the nearest point (the same one, logically as where the p/d entered the field of play. The player, if he is going to continue, makes his way to the halfway line and waits to be ushered on by the ref.

3. Players not immediately retiring 10 yards (9m 15cm). Law 13 requires that opponents immediately withdraw to a minimum of 10 yards from the restart location. If any opponent does not and this excessively delays the restart, he or she is subject to a caution for “failing to respect the required distance”. In any pro game you see players almost standing on the ball to prevent it being taken quickly. I always warn immediately that they move away quickly. Law 13 only allows a yelloe card if you cause "excessive delay". Refs do have another weapon. Namely, the unsporting behaviour card. Your team has broken a football Law, possibly on purpose, and given away a free kick. On top of that you are stopping the opposition taking the kick quickly which is their right unless the ref and deemed it "ceremonial" free kick, trying to diminish any advantage they mght gain from your or a teammate's offence. Unsporting behaviour which warrants a yellow card. It is there for a ref to use and I think I might be the only one that does.

4. The all in wrestling that takes part inside the box at free kicks and corners. Despite what Lampard said followinf the Man U v Chelsea game, holding IS NOT ALLOWED. Stamp down on it. Give a ruck of penalties and cards to discourage offenders. It will stop very quickly. A case in point is the very game Lamps made the comment about. How on earth was the judo throw Maguire put on Azpilicuetta not a penalty and at least a yellow card and possibly a red for throwing him to the floor. An absolutely diabolical decision by the ref, IMO.

5. Diving. There is still too much of it going on for my liking. The powers are there to penalise it. Refs should use those powers more often.

So, there's 5 things that peeve me about the game. I look forward to seeing more points from you all.

Any winger that refuses to cross the ball when they reach the by-line, should be docked a weeks wages there and then.

Anyone who screams when they get tripped, has obviously snapped a bone, and should immediately be sent to a private hospital for treatment and recovery. If there's nothing wrong with them, then their wages should be docked and given to charity.

Thing I hate about football that have ruined or will ruin the game

#1 The Premier league aka money.

#2 Bosman and freedom of contract which seems, counter intuitively to have led to massive transfer price inflation. Or is that just coincidence?

#3 The inclusion of the goalkeeper in the the description of formations, unless the day ever comes that we cal field more than one keeper, or chose to field none.

#4 TV pundits. Let's just go back to a commentator saying what's going on. And no lengthy "expert" hours and hours of analysis before and after the game

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Thing I hate about football that have ruined or will ruin the game

#1 The Premier league aka money.

#2 Bosman and freedom of contract which seems, counter intuitively to have led to massive transfer price inflation. Or is that just coincidence?

#3 The inclusion of the goalkeeper in the the description of formations, unless the day ever comes that we cal field more than one keeper, or chose to field none.

#4 TV pundits. Let's just go back to a commentator saying what's going on. And no lengthy "expert" hours and hours of analysis before and after the game
    Did you, in the main, forget to post a "remedy" or don't you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Did you, in the main, forget to post a "remedy" or don't you have one?
    Ah I missed the bit about suggesting a solution!

To #1, sadly its way too late in the day to do anything about that
    to #2, see 1 above
    to #3, Swale can sort it out
    to #4, I can only suggest that we rise up and rebel against these so called experts and turn off the TV apart from the duration of the match. Ultimately that may impact advertising revenue

May I add a 5th which possibly cannot be resolved - that is the abolition of betting on football apart from a simple win/lose/draw type bets. Secondary betting on the number of offside, corners, yellow cards etc are just pointless and only encourage people to bet and increase the money-go-round and its speed.

[QUOTE=MadAmster;39607602].... speaks for itself really. I will list some of the things I don't like and, hopefully, offer a remedy to them. Please feel free to add your own pet peeves in the gae and any solution you may have to the list.

1. VAR. Not the idea of it as I'm with that all the way. What I want is for the FA/EFL/PL (and I realise it's not being used in the EFL at the moment) to use it as it was intended to be used as opposed to the current "look what we in England can afford that the rest of the world can't". The stated use in the FIFA regs on VAR is clear and concise and I would not extend the scope There are 4 areas the VAR should look at, however, it is intended to prevent CLEAR ADND OBVIOUS ERRORS.
    IMO, the discounted Liverpool winner against Everton was neither clear nor obvious and the VAR should not have overruled it just because he can. It took an age and that can in no way be deemed clear and obvious. I can see 2 possibilities and you can, and probably will, add more.
    A. Put a time limit on VAR reviews. If you can't tell it's offside inside, for instance, 30 seconds (or a different time period) then it's not clear nor is it obvious and the original decision should stand
    B. Go down the "tennis" route and give managers 2 challenges a half. If they are proven right they don't lose a challenge. Remaining challenges from the first half do not get carried over to the 2nd half. In Cup ties going to 30 minutes extra time they get 1 challenge with no carry over from the 2nd half.

2. Players going down "injured" to take the momentum away from the opposition. Allow the physio/doctor onto the field of play to tend to the player whilst play continues. The physio/doc has to go round the pitch to the point on a line closest to the "injured" player. The player is tended where he lies. When the treatment is finished, the player and the physio/doc leave the field at the nearest point (the same one, logically as where the p/d entered the field of play. The player, if he is going to continue, makes his way to the halfway line and waits to be ushered on by the ref.

3. Players not immediately retiring 10 yards (9m 15cm). Law 13 requires that opponents immediately withdraw to a minimum of 10 yards from the restart location. If any opponent does not and this excessively delays the restart, he or she is subject to a caution for “failing to respect the required distance”. In any pro game you see players almost standing on the ball to prevent it being taken quickly. I always warn immediately that they move away quickly. Law 13 only allows a yelloe card if you cause "excessive delay". Refs do have another weapon. Namely, the unsporting behaviour card. Your team has broken a football Law, possibly on purpose, and given away a free kick. On top of that you are stopping the opposition taking the kick quickly which is their right unless the ref and deemed it "ceremonial" free kick, trying to diminish any advantage they mght gain from your or a teammate's offence. Unsporting behaviour which warrants a yellow card. It is there for a ref to use and I think I might be the only one that does.

4. The all in wrestling that takes part inside the box at free kicks and corners. Despite what Lampard said followinf the Man U v Chelsea game, holding IS NOT ALLOWED. Stamp down on it. Give a ruck of penalties and cards to discourage offenders. It will stop very quickly. A case in point is the very game Lamps made the comment about. How on earth was the judo throw Maguire put on Azpilicuetta not a penalty and at least a yellow card and possibly a red for throwing him to the floor. An absolutely diabolical decision by the ref, IMO.

5. Diving. There is still too much of it going on for my liking. The powers are there to penalise it. Refs should use those powers more often.

So, there's 5 things that peeve me about the game. I look forward to seeing more points from you all.[/Q

VAR I hate it , strikers denied great goals because their toenail is over an imaginary line . Controversial decisions are what make football you talk about them all week ( ie Friday night ) In not interested in some minor infringement that happen 10 moves before a goal was scored Scrap it .

Players going down injured when they clearly are not .Easily remedied if you require treatment you are not allowed back in the field for 4mins
    One of the worst things that players do usually after 80minutes is to down with cramp and a team mate treats them This results in time wasted and player doesn't have to go off Stop it reffs

Stopping the player taking a free kick by standing in front of the ball In with MA on this one book them Sibley would be off every game because he always does it .

Diving yes I think everybody hates it There's a Y/tube video some secretly filmed Spurs actually practising it Its probably the worse sort of cheating and should be a red card

Grappling at corners it really is ridiculous it's like a wrestling match every corner I seem to recall about three seasons they brought a rule about corners where defenders had to face the ball or a penalty would be awarded It seemed to stop it for a while Not sure if that rule still applies perhaps MA can enlighten us I seem to recall Mike Dean giving a penalty against Raheem Stirling for not facing the ball Think it was a Stoke

Don't encourage him GP

I had hoped that people would realise from my "gripes" that I was talking about on the park stuff, not off the field issues like player wages, betting etc. Shame one has to spell everything out...........

The ‘who me...how can you possibly think it was me’ petulance of so many players whenever they’re penalised or carded, as seen by Forest and Everton players in particular over the weekend.
    Been around for ages but seems to be getting worse at the moment. Sometimes it’s understandable and some refs are diabolical, but such dishonest behaviour from players makes their job so much harder.

Players standing with half their boots over the line that’s been sprayed by the ref. It’s a line on the pitch ffs...just stand behind it, it’s not hard.

1 Diving, most definitely. If the dive is in the opponent's area then he should be shown the red card. It's a cynical ploy so his team can then be given a (perhaps) 4-6 chance of scoring.

2. A keeper collecting the ball then falling onto the ground with it for no apparent reason other than to waste time.

3. A team losing 0-2 with 5 minutes left. They score and naturally want to race back up the field and restart the game immediately. The goalkeeper holds on to the ball and grapples with a player to prevent him doing so.

4. A player hacking away at the penalty spot unnoticed by the ref and most of the other players. They are more preoccupied with someone who is being treated for what could be a severe head injury. That's Bristol City for you. Give them all a 3-match ban.

5. That dreadful Leeds song.

6. Oh, and those who sing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Don't encourage him GP

I had hoped that people would realise from my "gripes" that I was talking about on the park stuff, not off the field issues like player wages, betting etc. Shame one has to spell everything out...........
    Apologies for missing your point entirely, shan't bother next time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)