+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: McNeil...

BT I can't see Dyche changing anything he far to set in his ways. Perhaps that my be another reason we fail to attract some players.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    He gets so much wrong and that is why we have averaged finishing as 14th placed team in the English Pyrmaid System in the last 6 seasons, one of which was in The Championship. We were looking the more likely to score, unfortunately, they then scored and this prompted the first change which took some time because the ball never went out of play!
    Football management from the stand or on TV is the easiest job in the world, even the pundits can do it better than thoe doing the job ---how strange that, if they are that good, they are not managing teams at that level!
    It's all opinions, however, it is only a game which, sadly, is played to different Laws in the PL than the rest of football in the British Isles.
    Supersub, I appreciate what Dyche has achieved on a very limited budget at BFC.
    I do however think he is uninclined to change things when we are not being as effective as we should be. As you say he made the changes at the first opportunity after we went a goal down, but it was fairly obvious that Barnes and Wood were not having their best game, so with the chances we were creating should he have made the change prior to conceding.
    Tactics, Team selection and substitutions when viewed by commentators, pundits or spectators are a matter of opinion, but it is the team manager who has the final say and I think our manager needs to be a bit more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    BT I can't see Dyche changing anything he far to set in his ways. Perhaps that my be another reason we fail to attract some players.
    It is perhaps a reason that we fail to attract some players, however, that is the way that Sean works.
    When he was appointed he was asked if he could get us into the Premier League and he said that he could ---he did!
    We were then relegated but he said that he would get us back up ---he did!
    Since then we have been in Europe --who would have thought that that was possible when you look where we were when the PL was formed?
    The last three seasons have seen us average 10th placed team in the English League and yet, all we hear from some fans is that he is hopeless, doesn't do this, that and the other, his football is boring etc., etc. They want us to play like Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford etc., etc.

Enjoy the now because none of us know what is around the corner, whether it be life or football!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    It is perhaps a reason that we fail to attract some players, however, that is the way that Sean works.
    When he was appointed he was asked if he could get us into the Premier League and he said that he could ---he did!
    We were then relegated but he said that he would get us back up ---he did!
    Since then we have been in Europe --who would have thought that that was possible when you look where we were when the PL was formed?
    The last three seasons have seen us average 10th placed team in the English League and yet, all we hear from some fans is that he is hopeless, doesn't do this, that and the other, his football is boring etc., etc. They want us to play like Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford etc., etc.

Enjoy the now because none of us know what is around the corner, whether it be life or football!
    I am not saying that Dyche is hopeless, his achievement with BFC is very good. However, there are times when he could try something different.
    For example, in the last cup game against Manchester City where we are expected to lose anyway, as we have lost most of our games against them by three goals or more. So obviously trying to defend against them for 90 minutes has not worked very well. Could we have tried to go on the front foot and taken the game to them after all their defence is not one of the best, while we may have shipped a good few goals by trying this approach but it was an unimportant game in the scheme of things.

I am not saying that Dyche is hopeless, his achievement with BFC is very good. However, there are times when he could try something different.
    For example, in the last cup game against Manchester City where we are expected to lose anyway, as we have lost most of our games against them by three goals or more. So obviously trying to defend against them for 90 minutes has not worked very well. Could we have tried to go on the front foot and taken the game to them after all their defence is not one of the best, while we may have shipped a good few goals by trying this approach but it was an unimportant game in the scheme of things.
    If we had done that and conceded 7 or 8 goals would the fickle fans have said "Well, we gave it a go" ---I think not! They moan when we play well as a team as we did on Monday. He is on a hiding to nothing with some fans regardless of what he does -----Vintage, I do not include you in those fans!

I do however think he is uninclined to change things when we are not being as effective as we should be. As you say he made the changes at the first opportunity after we went a goal down, but it was fairly obvious that Barnes and Wood were not having their best game, so with the chances we were creating should he have made the change prior to conceding.
    VC, no problem with your criticism of Dyche, it's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it, and it's as valid as anyone else's. Just on the above though I differ, we were creating those chances with Barnes and Wood playing, you cannot hook a striker because he has missed a couple of chances, they all miss them, all the time, no striker would ever play 90 minutes if he was hooked for missing a chance or two, besides there's absolutely no guarantee that his replacement will put the next chance into the back of the net either.

And we were being effective up to the point Spurs scored, just before they scored we received the kiss of death from the Comms team, when one of them said we were looking the likelier of the two teams to win the game. If it's obvious to even a neutral that we're playing better than Spurs with 70 odd minutes gone, there was no pressing need to make changes, after the goal he did make changes, but with only 14 minutes left, and given the fact that we'd been the better team up to that point, I don't think it was necessary to make immediate drastic changes.

I do agree on one point you made on another post, at least I think it was you, you said we had looked good last season when Jay and Vydra played together, and we did. There was one game they started together, can't remember against who now, and it was the best football we played all season. They looked a pretty lethal combination to me, I have no idea why Sean hasn't persevered with them in tandem since, one of life's mysteries.
    Last edited by sinkov; 28-10-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Well blow me!

McNeil has emerged as the best dribbler in Europe.

Statistics have shown that of the 80 players to have attempted 30 or more dribbles in Europe’s top five leagues this season, McNeil has the best success rate with 73.5 per cent.

Last season, the top four in this category included Adama Traore, Neymar, Messi and Allan Saint-Maximin.

Wonder how success is measured?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...c/18939518.nn/

The Burnley boss added: “He’s got quality, there’s no two ways about it, and he strikes a lovely ball.

“I think we ask a lot of him as a team player, and that individual greed if you like, maybe being a little bit more greedy around the box, I think it will add to his game.

“But he’s going along nicely.”

I suppose deep down the problem is we have no-one even close enough in being capable to challenge for his shirt, so the lad is getting a free pass.

I'm not sure the constant criticism will be helping his confidence much either?

SD's take on him...

https://www.lancs.live/sport/footbal...Elwv_Up3GPeuvw
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 12-12-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Fans often get it wrong. Villa supporters did not like Westwood. Hendrick was often maligned by Burnley fans. McNeil the next target?

Think he's improving ,he had a decent game tonight.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)