+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defence.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I think the most startling statistic is that Reading had only five goal attempts, and scored four!
    Until we find the best blend in defence, I suspect we have to accept that we are going to be beating the weaker teams, while struggling to keep the top six at bay.
    Of course, when you have the start from hell against the table-toppers, confidence drains immediately.
    Come on, though, we've been here before.
    We can't write a player (Douglas) off on the basis of one game! Look at his previous achievements.
    How long have we all been watching football?
    After a nightmare start. Confidence didnt appear to be affected as we equalised with out first chance. And it was an excellent goal. It soon disappeared as our woeful defence parted like the red sea. Then again as it fell apart to put us out of the game before HT. It was embarrassing.

Running out of excuses quickly. 4 defeats already and it's only Oct.

And we must never take into account three thumping victories, because that would spoil the agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    And we must never take into account three thumping victories, because that would spoil the agenda.
    10 man Wycombe? 10 Man Coventry? 2 promoted sides. One is guaranteed to go down. Having lost every game. And the other will follow. And we beat Derby who have lost to everyone and sacked their manager.
    Clutching a straws.

What about the 4 defeats? Nothing to say about those? Are where they all down to luck?

Ignore it all you want. We have lost more than we have won.

Other than that, everything is going well.

Champs - I have asked you before not to put words in my mouth.
    I have never, never said "It's all down to luck".
    How many times do I have to repeat that I believe multiple factors are involved - including both the manager and luck.
    But let's take luck. Yes, the first goal WAS unlucky. Douglas had read the through-ball but as he ran to cover, it caught his heel and rebounded straight to a Reading player.
    That can't be planned or prepared for. Simple fact.
    Of course, that doesn't excuse the generally poor defending. But that's the point - two different factors - two of the many that affect the result of a football match.
    As I keep repeating, I have no problem with criticism of individual performances, individual managerial decisions, or any other single factor. It is this determination you have to turn that into a generalisation involving the whole season that frustrates and annoys me.

Long term predictions are made on all manner of subjects far more complicated than football. They are also adjusted after any and all associated events.

You use the word "luck" constantly.
    Was it a golfer that said "the more I practice the luckier I get"?

Process and training make the world go round. Choose and define the right process then train your people to achieve the desired result on time every time.

George Graham had a long rope attached to his back four in training.

Aircraft land and take off, medical operations are performed, snooker players and their cueing actions, Barcelona, Liverpool, Leeds, they are all achieved by process. If luck is involved you modify the process to eradicate it. Human error is never a defence for process failure.

You and TM are dinosaurs with no knowledge of modern practices and techniques.

Rovers need the cash that follows promotion to ensure their long term survival. If TM can't change ( and he clearly can't) he must go and the sooner the better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)