+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stevie Archibald - A forgotten Don?

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    Weegie pish
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    No, pretty sure it would have been ‘We have a dream’ from 82 (“it’s no the ball you’re kickin ya eejit, it’s me”)
    More weegie pish

Ha true, but that was a great song.

So it was the perfect relationship between player and club.

Steve used us as a vehicle to get his big money move to Spurs and eventually Barcelona but not before being an integral part of the team that won the first League Championship in about 25 years.

The money the club made from his transfer paid for the cantilever roof on the South Stand which helped in making Pittodrie one of the most attractive stadiums of the 1980s AND probably helped in gathering together the funds for the transfer of Gothenburg legend Peter Weir.

As a nice added extra, he never had any later involvement with the gruesome twosome despite hailing from those parts.

Why is this fella not an AFC Hall of Famer? Nobody can deny he made a significant contribution to the Dons, and even indirectly, was crucial in the Dons Gothenburg victory. Get him in...
    Last edited by BogBrush1903; 30-10-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Aye definitely a hall of fame candidate for me .
    Won the league with us then went and had success with two other huge clubs and as mentioned never dabbled with the dirty duo .

I watched some of the old World Cup repeats on BBC Scotland during lockdown and he was a class act .

On this day in 1979, perfect hatrick for Archibald

Aberdeen:
    Clark, Kennedy, Considine, McLeish, Garner, Miller, Strachan, Archibald, Harper (Jarvie), McMaster, Scanlon (Bell)
    Goals: Archibald 3 (6, 29, 61)

Celtic:
    Latchford, Sneddon, McGrain, Aitken, MacDonald, MacLeod, Provan, Edvaldsson,McAdam, Conroy, Doyle (Lennox).
    Goals: Edvaldsson (1), Provan (70)

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  18.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by man-erg View Post

Aberdeen:
    Clark, Kennedy, Considine, McLeish, Garner, Miller, Strachan, Archibald, Harper (Jarvie), McMaster, Scanlon (Bell)

Celtic:
    Latchford, Sneddon, McGrain, Aitken, MacDonald, MacLeod, Provan, Edvaldsson,McAdam, Conroy, Doyle (Lennox).

Was Considine at fault for their 2 goals?

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    In my opinion, Steve Archibald is the most complete striker I've seen in my time following the Dons. Better goalscorers? Aye, but he was a solid 20 plus a season. Better line leaders? Mebbe, but he could do the "number 9" job very nicely. Better auld fashioned inside forwards playing aff a 9? Actually nae many I can think of.

He was a class act.
    Hardy sod as well, liked a physical contest, could play any type of striker's role.
    If he was around today, the lone striker role would've suited him down to the ground.
    Great player.

The Peenj always had him down as "former Don, Archibald" which I always smiled at as he'd arguably become more "famous" since leaving the Dons

I was at that game, also famous for Willie Miller ripping his shorts and having to change at the dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by man-erg View Post

Aberdeen:

Celtic:

I'm pretty sure this is the game after which Fergie told him to return the match ball - which he did! Volleyed off every wall in Fergie's office!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast