+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stevie Archibald - A forgotten Don?

Stevie Archibald - A forgotten Don?

Well maybe not forgotten because I've just started a thread on him but for someone like me, who attended my first game in 1984, he's not a player I really associate with the Dons. However, he won a League Championship medal and was an integral part of the 1979/80 first XI and (I think) until recently was our second most expensive outgoing transfer.

He also did a great two footed lunge challenge on an Oldco player in either the Scottish Cup Final or Scottish League Cup Final of 1978.

However, we never read or hear Archibald discuss us in the press, we don't see him appear at half-time at Pittodrie for a wave and pick a winning ticket, we don't see him in any features in the local press or any programmes.

I liked the story about him when Ferguson asked him to hand back the match ball after he scored a hat-trick and he walked into the boardroom where Fergie was sipping tea and said, "here's your f@cking ball" and volleyed it towards the manager and sending the cups into the air.

Perhaps a very individual player with little attachment to the clubs he played for...maybe that's the reason

But I heard when he left for Spurs, many Dons fans adopted Spurs as their English team because of their adoration of the player.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Well maybe not forgotten because I've just started a thread on him but for someone like me, who attended my first game in 1984, he's not a player I really associate with the Dons. However, he won a League Championship medal and was an integral part of the 1979/80 first XI and (I think) until recently was our second most expensive outgoing transfer.

He also did a great two footed lunge challenge on an Oldco player in either the Scottish Cup Final or Scottish League Cup Final of 1978.

However, we never read or hear Archibald discuss us in the press, we don't see him appear at half-time at Pittodrie for a wave and pick a winning ticket, we don't see him in any features in the local press or any programmes.

I liked the story about him when Ferguson asked him to hand back the match ball after he scored a hat-trick and he walked into the boardroom where Fergie was sipping tea and said, "here's your f@cking ball" and volleyed it towards the manager and sending the cups into the air.

Perhaps a very individual player with little attachment to the clubs he played for...maybe that's the reason

But I heard when he left for Spurs, many Dons fans adopted Spurs as their English team because of their adoration of the player.
    I follow him on Twitter. He does speak highly of us, but no more he does of Hibs, Spurs and Barca. I guess he was only with us for a couple of years. Great player.

I think there was some resentment as he was seen as the player that ''replaced'' King Joey. I remember watching him thinking his control wasn't great but he topped the scoring charts in Scotland , England and Spain. McGoo's control was exceptional and turns out he was far easier to dislike - who knew?

A wee bit before my time but a very good player by all accounts .

I remember a radio program discussing him a wee while back , he served his time as a mechanic with either Rolls Royce or Bentley and it was his ambition to own one of these cars that helped drive him on to succeed as a footballer.

It probably is a bit strange that he doesn’t get mentioned more as a former Don in the build up to big games ( this week for example).

Will we ever see another player winning the league with Aberdeen and Barcelona .....I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    I think there was some resentment as he was seen as the player that ''replaced'' King Joey. I remember watching him thinking his control wasn't great but he topped the scoring charts in Scotland , England and Spain. McGoo's control was exceptional and turns out he was far easier to dislike - who knew?
    McGhee is a w@nker of a man though...Archibald isn’t. Both great players though.

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    A wee bit before my time but a very good player by all accounts .

I remember a radio program discussing him a wee while back , he served his time as a mechanic with either Rolls Royce or Bentley and it was his ambition to own one of these cars that helped drive him on to succeed as a footballer.

It probably is a bit strange that he doesn’t get mentioned more as a former Don in the build up to big games ( this week for example).

Will we ever see another player winning the league with Aberdeen and Barcelona .....I wonder?

It's unlikely, Barcelona are on their way down.

Archibald was a bit before my time as well. Think he was at Hibs fan I wis at school. I remember him more for his brief stint as chairman/manager/shareholder of Airdrie when they took a load of Spanish players in. Pretty sure I also recall him doing a half time draw at Pittodrie at some point, maybe around the Skovdahl era?!

Is he nae great pals with King Joey?!

He played in a front 2 partnership with King Joey in the 77-78 so near yet so far, almost double winning season under Caesar so I wouldn't call him a direct replacement. Remember well the end of season Stevie Must Stay 79-80 league winning chants from the Beach End before he went to Spuds.

Great player! When we signed him, my first thought was 'Stevie fa???' ... We were already lookin' like a damned decent side, and Ah didna see how/where he could add.

OK, Ah wis wrang!

My everlasting memory of him was for " clumsy" goals !!

He seemed ro score no matter what, off the shin etc. Certainly had the knack !!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast