+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: QPR after thoughts ..... new formation ......but still FRUSTRATING !!!

QPR after thoughts ..... new formation ......but still FRUSTRATING !!!

So then - BIG VAL has changed things slightly - from a 3-4-1-2 to a straight 3-4-3.
    Which to my mind did a couple of things.
    Speeded things up getting the ball forward to the front 3 - the front 3 playing closer together and by doing so they looked to be a force to be reckoned with.
    But much of the build up play bypassed the two central midfielders - that is to say more long balls were being used.

QPR came out like a train - and for the first 20 minutes or so we couldn’t get out of our half.
    But our defence stood firm - and showed the quality of these defenders.
    There’s been a bit of criticism about Oduor on here - I thought he was the most skilful player on the field in the 1st half and kept some seasoned QPR players quiet.
    Mads is quickly becoming one of the best centre backs in the division.

For a while now I haven’t been a fan of Mowatt - but he’s been good in the last few games. Is this because there is competition now for midfield places?
    Styles looked lost 1st half in midfield - but had a better game 2nd half as left wing back.
    James showed some nice touches.

The same frustrating thing about this game, as all the other games this season - it’s not a failure of the last third - it’s more like a failure of just the last 10 metres.
    Time after time after time we were in on goal but failed to score.
    This game could have easily ended up 10-1.
    But we only managed 3 goals.
    This problem in front of goal needs sorting out quickly - because if it can be then we are in for a good season.
    As the rest of the team is starting to look sound.

Before you state the virtues of Anderson as a defender in the top rank, have a look at his distribution. He doesnt get 3/10 from me on that front just yet.

He can improve and I hope he does.

Funny how we see different things!

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    So then - BIG VAL has changed things slightly - from a 3-4-1-2 to a straight 3-4-3.
    Which to my mind did a couple of things.
    Speeded things up getting the ball forward to the front 3 - the front 3 playing closer together and by doing so they looked to be a force to be reckoned with.
    But much of the build up play bypassed the two central midfielders - that is to say more long balls were being used.

QPR came out like a train - and for the first 20 minutes or so we couldn’t get out of our half.
    But our defence stood firm - and showed the quality of these defenders.
    There’s been a bit of criticism about Oduor on here - I thought he was the most skilful player on the field in the 1st half and kept some seasoned QPR players quiet.
    Mads is quickly becoming one of the best centre backs in the division.

For a while now I haven’t been a fan of Mowatt - but he’s been good in the last few games. Is this because there is competition now for midfield places?
    Styles looked lost 1st half in midfield - but had a better game 2nd half as left wing back.
    James showed some nice touches.

The same frustrating thing about this game, as all the other games this season - it’s not a failure of the last third - it’s more like a failure of just the last 10 metres.
    Time after time after time we were in on goal but failed to score.
    This game could have easily ended up 10-1.
    But we only managed 3 goals.
    This problem in front of goal needs sorting out quickly - because if it can be then we are in for a good season.
    As the rest of the team is starting to look sound.
    Not really a game to be judging anything on in my opinion .

Obviously I'm pleased with the win but we get a penalty which reduces QPR down to ten men , it's pretty straightforward stuff from that position with the London team chasing the game , taking huge risks and man light .

Of course we were cutting through them .

The game on saturday against Watford will be the game to make some early judgements in my opinion .

That said it was nice to see the three up top and the team playing expansively after the ultra cautious tripe Struber served up .

Valerian played exactly the same system at LASK according to what I've read tonight with Freiser amongst his front three .

Which probably explains why he played so well last night and indeed he looked a different player .

I also noticed the lads at the back especially played some longer balls which again is different to what we saw under Struber where there was more emphasis to play out from the back .

He's definitely dropped on his feet with the three front lads because there looks to be a balance to them with Schmidt and Simoes pushing them or preferred in a squad rotation move .

The question is always how you proceed when your opponents have worked you out which won't take long as we know at this level .

Wo tha watching same game as me Nudge? All abart opinions I suppose but I thought Oduor was dominated by Adomah. His defensive ability and inexperience was exposed. Dunt get me wrong, a love him guin forrard, he contributes well in attacking areas and is a real threat but he looks defensively out of his depth at the moment. He'll learn the more he laiks but guin away from home the emphasis will be on him to defend a bit more which is a concern.

A thowt Styles did ok first aif. Put himself abart and linking play, gerrin involved and taking responsibility, probably one of our better players in that 1st aif imo.

Mads Anderson can tackle and head quite well and at times read the game very well to make important interceptions, the fundamentals of defending. However, his concentration sometimes lets him darn positionaly which is costly at this level. I also get nervous when he's trying to play passes across the back line. He should stick to his no nonsense style of play because that is his strength, get tighter to his man and leave the passing to more skilful players in the team.

Defensively I still think it's a worry for us. Dykes gave our defence a hard time last night, physically we didn't cope with his presence despite us having 3 centre backs up against him and had it been 11 v 11 he'd have had a runner going off him. We gave QPR far too much space in that first 20 mins and could easily have fallen behind. However, I will say this- I'd gladly sacrifice the emphasis being on defensive duties(Struber style) to laik a more expansive style of attacking football and go for goals cos I think with a bit more belief we can really hurt teams with our attacking players and marauding wing backs.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Wo tha watching same game as me Nudge? All abart opinions I suppose but I thought Oduor was dominated by Adomah. His defensive ability and inexperience was exposed. Dunt get me wrong, a love him guin forrard, he contributes well in attacking areas and is a real threat but he looks defensively out of his depth at the moment. He'll learn the more he laiks but guin away from home the emphasis will be on him to defend a bit more which is a concern.

A thowt Styles did ok first aif. Put himself abart and linking play, gerrin involved and taking responsibility, probably one of our better players in that 1st aif imo.

Mads Anderson can tackle and head quite well and at times read the game very well to make important interceptions, the fundamentals of defending. However, his concentration sometimes lets him darn positionaly which is costly at this level. I also get nervous when he's trying to play passes across the back line. He should stick to his no nonsense style of play because that is his strength, get tighter to his man and leave the passing to more skilful players in the team.

Defensively I still think it's a worry for us. Dykes gave our defence a hard time last night, physically we didn't cope with his presence despite us having 3 centre backs up against him and had it been 11 v 11 he'd have had a runner going off him. We gave QPR far too much space in that first 20 mins and could easily have fallen behind. However, I will say this- I'd gladly sacrifice the emphasis being on defensive duties(Struber style) to laik a more expansive style of attacking football and go for goals cos I think with a bit more belief we can really hurt teams with our attacking players and marauding wing backs.
    Some good points there Pass , agree about the move to play the risk and reward football .

There's going to be occasions at this level when it doesn't come off and I think we should prepare ourselves for that but equally there will be games when it bears fruit .

What !!!
    Let’s go through that.
    Oduor was dominated by Adomah ....... then you need to watch the game again.

I’m a big fan of Styles ...... he had a terrible game 1st half.

Because Dykes was reported as a potential target then I’m sure many Barnsley fans will have been watching him closely - and I can nearly guarantee that many of those fans will have been thinking ...... thank foook we didn’t sign him.
    He did absolutely nothing.
    He tried to bully Mads - and Mads bet him at every turn both with speed and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Some good points there Pass , agree about the move to play the risk and reward football .

There's going to be occasions at this level when it doesn't come off and I think we should prepare ourselves for that but equally there will be games when it bears fruit .
    Absolutely. Not judging too much on last night but from an attacking point of view, I noticed also from the Stoke game that Freiser seems to be settling in, Woodrow we obviously know what he's abart when he's laikin CF, Chaplain will be effective when he gets a run in the side, Oduor and Brittain get darn them flanks really well and can cross a ball. Thaz Simoez and Schmidt as an alternative option in that front trio, Mowatt is more advanced lookin to get shots off, Styles can oppun up a defense and has a good all round game.

A just think we need more genuine belief to get that clinical edge and correct decision making that's been lacking. Some may argue that we lack the necessary Championship quality within the squad because we haven't been capitalising in the final third but I beg to differ. I like what I see, Ittul come good I'm sure. When it does we'll sell the bloody lot of em no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    What !!!
    Let’s go through that.
    Oduor was dominated by Adomah ....... then you need to watch the game again.

I’m a big fan of Styles ...... he had a terrible game 1st half.

Because Dykes was reported as a potential target then I’m sure many Barnsley fans will have been watching him closely - and I can nearly guarantee that many of those fans will have been thinking ...... thank foook we didn’t sign him.
    He did absolutely nothing.
    He tried to bully Mads - and Mads bet him at every turn both with speed and strength.
    As a sed Nudge it's all abart opinions. Ad reccomend a visit to specsavers fo thi mate or a visit tut library forra football beginners book

Absolutely. Not judging too much on last night but from an attacking point of view, I noticed also from the Stoke game that Freiser seems to be settling in, Woodrow we obviously know what he's abart when he's laikin CF, Chaplain will be effective when he gets a run in the side, Oduor and Brittain get darn them flanks really well and can cross a ball. Thaz Simoez and Schmidt as an alternative option in that front trio, Mowatt is more advanced lookin to get shots off, Styles can oppun up a defense and has a good all round game.

A just think we need more genuine belief to get that clinical edge and correct decision making that's been lacking. Some may argue that we lack the necessary Championship quality within the squad because we haven't been capitalising in the final third but I beg to differ. I like what I see, Ittul come good I'm sure. When it does we'll sell the bloody lot of em no doubt
    It's not exactly Brentford's BMW of last season but our own CFW at our level of the championship may just give us enough to keep ourselves above water .

I said last week the midfield looks very promising with James adding real quality albeit till January .

Would be nice to have a Dykes type option off the bench or starting to keep the opposition guessing , thought he was a handful missen Pass and it was definitely not his or QPR's night to say the least .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast