+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would it be negative?

Leicester’s approach worked once, and I’m guessing there’s a good reason no one else had adopted it. It’s definitely not a tactic a team with some of the best players in the league should be pursuing.

Besides, I do think everything is in place for us to do well if we have a fully fit squad to choose from. The question is if we can turn those 20 to 30-minute spells we’ve seen into 60 to 75 minutes and destroy teams. First thing we need to do, though, is stop conceding soft goals at set plays.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We should try playing to our strengths for once, instead of fannying around in in our own penalty box.. As a reminder to the manager We have attacking players capable of destroying defences, We have a midfield blessed with football League experiance and defenders who have also played at far higher levels..If we allowed players to play to their strengths, then there is no reason why we should not walk this tin pot league..
    Don't be daft durham, it's Agent Ardley we're talking about

To answer the OP, no - I don't think so.
    Maybe no team's ever won the NL playing like that - you need to be a dominant team with superior players, end of story.

And I think it's a bit unfair on Leicester in 2016. Yes, there were games like that but I can remember just as many when they were simply the better team on the front foot. Kante + Mahrez + Vardy + Schmeichel = contenders.

Back to us, I think we have the attacking talent to be dominant and be good enough in defence. We just can't play good enough football and get enough players up in support from defence and midfield. Confidence and authority on the ball from those positions is sadly lacking.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 30-10-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    To answer the OP, no - I don't think so.
    Maybe no team's ever won the NL playing like that - you need to be a dominant team with superior players, end of story.

And I think it's a bit unfair on Leicester in 2016. Yes, there were games like that but I can remember just as many when they were simply the better team on the front foot. Kante + Mahrez + Vardy + Schmeichel = contenders.

Back to us, I think we have the attacking talent to be dominant and be good enough in defence. We just can't play good enough football and get enough players up in support from defence and midfield. Confidence and authority on the ball from those positions is sadly lacking.
    My thoughts are the same really, I just don’t think teams would come to attack us like they would Leicester, as at the time they weren’t really seen as a big club so other teams would come out and attack them.

One thing I would like to see us adopt from that Leicester style is that disciplined, harrying approach to win the ball back faster, and then using the ball quicker once we do do get it....not to say I want to see hopeless long punts forward though!

Well we can't defend especially crosses and have hardly any pace in the side, even those meant to be quick like Enzio seem to run in treacle so it's a no from me. We're going to be the Barcelona of league 5 you watch out ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Still waiting for my UEFA Pro Licence to arrive in the post. Until it does I will just have to rely on the professionals oh and Durham and Irish of course

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    He may just one day decide to read these posts, and then perhaps the penny may drop..

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Well we can't defend especially crosses and have hardly any pace in the side, even those meant to be quick like Enzio seem to run in treacle so it's a no from me. We're going to be the Barcelona of league 5 you watch out ha ha.
    This is what I never understand with many Ardley signings - the lack of pace. I like Jake Reeves but he’s slow - same as Doyle and O’Brien. They run around a lot, but they’re one-paced and can’t accelerate past someone. Such a basic thing to have someone in the middle of the park who can do that. Talking of Barcelona, it reminds of how Real Madrid midfielders were flying past Busquets in the Classico last week.

I agree bar 2 or 3 players we aren't a squad blessed with pace. Although we are very mobile in terms of our attacking options.

Clearly he prefers the Doyles , O'Briens and Reeves' of this world in his midfield who all have quality, experience, consistency and energy but v little pace and it can be painful to watch these players trying to trackback when an opponent is breaking on us. In certain televised games it looks like they are running in treacle when trying to catch up with speedier opponent running with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    So basically this is another of those threads where we can talk about NA’s suitability? Hmmm just like the last God knows how many.
    It’s amazing how the first few responses to the original question were around the players needed and in my case the fact that teams would happily take a draw from us in this league.
    IF Ardley or any manager adopted a let’s sit and soak up pressure and hope teams actually attack us tactic, the clamour of boos at ML would be as bitter as the Trew days. In fact, most of you on here demand that we are more on the front foot because Ardley is too negative. You couldn’t make this up.
    I'm lost for words...
    How can you talk about any team and its tactics and not take into account who the manager is.?
    This applys to any football team,!
    When people mention Ardleys tactics it's deemed that you are automatically knocking him.
    However when all that is being done is pointing out a footballing fact.
    Anyway on with the post and see how many can talk about notts , tactics,formations ,players and not mention any manager at all. X

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast