+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cherries on top musings

Cherries on top musings

Strange game really. I thought we were very good for 20 to 25 minutes and they had no idea how to deal with us. From that point on they had the lion's share of possession but didn't look particularly dangerous. Going in 1-0 up at HT was about right I felt. They managed 69% possession in both halves.

2nd half they were more penetrative with the ball and had us penned back in our defensive third for long periods. Some staunch defending including one excellent reflex save by Marshall started to look like we might hold on or even nick a 2nd on the break. It wasn't to be and they got the equaliser their play deserved in the 81st minute. Cross from the left, 4 cherries in the box, the cross goes over everybody and Raquelme volleyed it home. Good execution but I can't help thinking we shot ourselves in the foot through one defensive lapse. Clarke looked at one of the 4 "in the box Cherries" and I thought he had his man but then dropped off. Buchanan appeared to have seen that and left his man to challenge Clarke's man. Both missed the ball completely and it fell to Raquelme to volley in. Had Clarke not left his man, would Buchanan have left his?

Marshall - Good game. one excellent save
    Te Wierik - I was a little surprised at him getting the nod over Wis but maybe this was the right game for him as the Cherries try to play football and aren't big bruisers. His best game for us IMO but the jury is still out on him
    Davies - Yet another solid defensive display from a reliable performer
    Clarke - Continues to impress but, as I wrote earlier in this post, partly at fault for their goal
    Byrne - Better defensively than he has been but still needs to cut crosses out
    Knight - Another very good performance by the lad. Has to be one of the first names on the sheet
    Shinnie - earlier in the season I criticised him but he has improved and was my MOTM. More of the same please Graham.
    Buchanan - Another good game apart from his role in their goal
    Waghorn - Put in a shift as usual 2 wrong decisions might have led to a goal had he been less "selfish" in one instance and more so in the other IMO.
    Rooney - Opening 20 minutes I was impressed. 10 days quarantine and he looked reborn for 20 minutes. That was it though until he was subbed just before the hour mark when he wasn't invisible, he was ineffective. Not fit enough and, at 35, may well stay that way.
    Lawrence - pushed for MOTM in the opening 45. 2nd half, especially after he had his face tickled, he looked disinterestd. Wandering aimlessly about and half heartedly waving an arm as if pointing out to a teammate where he should be or be going to. Please can we have the Lawro of the previous 2 games back?

All in all, 2 very different halves and I'm well happy with a point and not just because I predicted it. We were forced into defending for much of the game and we did it well......... except for that 81st minute issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Strange game really. I thought we were very good for 20 to 25 minutes and they had no idea how to deal with us. From that point on they had the lion's share of possession but didn't look particularly dangerous. Going in 1-0 up at HT was about right I felt. They managed 69% possession in both halves.

2nd half they were more penetrative with the ball and had us penned back in our defensive third for long periods. Some staunch defending including one excellent reflex save by Marshall started to look like we might hold on or even nick a 2nd on the break. It wasn't to be and they got the equaliser their play deserved in the 81st minute. Cross from the left, 4 cherries in the box, the cross goes over everybody and Raquelme volleyed it home. Good execution but I can't help thinking we shot ourselves in the foot through one defensive lapse. Clarke looked at one of the 4 "in the box Cherries" and I thought he had his man but then dropped off. Buchanan appeared to have seen that and left his man to challenge Clarke's man. Both missed the ball completely and it fell to Raquelme to volley in. Had Clarke not left his man, would Buchanan have left his?

Marshall - Good game. one excellent save
    Te Wierik - I was a little surprised at him getting the nod over Wis but maybe this was the right game for him as the Cherries try to play football and aren't big bruisers. His best game for us IMO but the jury is still out on him
    Davies - Yet another solid defensive display from a reliable performer
    Clarke - Continues to impress but, as I wrote earlier in this post, partly at fault for their goal
    Byrne - Better defensively than he has been but still needs to cut crosses out
    Knight - Another very good performance by the lad. Has to be one of the first names on the sheet
    Shinnie - earlier in the season I criticised him but he has improved and was my MOTM. More of the same please Graham.
    Buchanan - Another good game apart from his role in their goal
    Waghorn - Put in a shift as usual 2 wrong decisions might have led to a goal had he been less "selfish" in one instance and more so in the other IMO.
    Rooney - Opening 20 minutes I was impressed. 10 days quarantine and he looked reborn for 20 minutes. That was it though until he was subbed just before the hour mark when he wasn't invisible, he was ineffective. Not fit enough and, at 35, may well stay that way.
    Lawrence - pushed for MOTM in the opening 45. 2nd half, especially after he had his face tickled, he looked disinterestd. Wandering aimlessly about and half heartedly waving an arm as if pointing out to a teammate where he should be or be going to. Please can we have the Lawro of the previous 2 games back?

All in all, 2 very different halves and I'm well happy with a point and not just because I predicted it. We were forced into defending for much of the game and we did it well......... except for that 81st minute issue.
    MA good summing up we were good for 25mins Something seems to happen to us when we score first Their goal couple of mistakes MdW didn't get and stop the cross Buchanon covering for Clarke allowed the lad a free shot ,but can't be to hard we defended well Don't know why he left Wisdom out suppose he took the wrap for Cardiffs goal ,still think we are better with him in ,we seriously lack pace at the back without him . Thought Cocu got his subs completely wrong Lawrence was out on his feet by half time and Waghorn not far behind The pair have had no pre-season and he expected them to play three full matches in a week That is poor management ,that's when injuries happen when your tired . We are still not creating ,that's because Shinnie and Knight don't really have that killer pass in their game ,but both playing really well . We had two really good breaks second half but Waghorn messed them up making the wrong decision each time .He has many qualities but decision making is not one of them Did the same against Cardiff . Two big games coming this week anything less than four points and we will be in big trouble

Was pleasantly surprised we didn't get thrashed, certainly the defence has tightened up over the past couple of games and someone other than Waghorn scored. A good result away draw against a newly relegated team.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)