+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T The Aberfan disaster 1966

O/T The Aberfan disaster 1966

For those of you who might be interested. On YouTube. A look at how a landslide from an NCB sl@gheap tragically killed 144 innocent people(many children) which left a whole town in mourning and the shocking way(not so shocking to me) how the NCB and government reacted in the aftermath.

Remember it like it was yesterday ,I'd started work that year , the highs n lows of 1966

I have an enormous appetite for history and especially social history .

Except two events , the moors murders and the Aberfan disaster , just too heavy for me with bairns .

Not knocking anyone who does want to know what happened it's just the way I'm put together .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I have an enormous appetite for history and especially social history .

Except two events , the moors murders and the Aberfan disaster , just too heavy for me with bairns .

Not knocking anyone who does want to know what happened it's just the way I'm put together .
    I went into it completely blind. Nivver heard owt abart it or knew abart it.
    It wo extremely moving, a wo choked, it browt a tear to my eye. I understand ar tha feels mate. Respect.

Remember it well. It was a shocking time.
    I was 10 when it happened so like those souls I was in a junior school.
    It could've happened to us.
    Sad times even worse response from Wilsons govt.