+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP - Nobby

RIP - Nobby

World Cup winner, Man Utd legend, one of great characters of the game...
    Rip - Nobby Stiles...
    Last edited by SwalePie; 30-10-2020 at 07:35 PM.

R I P Nobby thank you for being one of our World Cup Winners.

A toothless Nobby Stiles running around Wembley after the game was one of the iconic images of the day. He was the type of player who doesn't always get the praise they deserve, a typical ball-winning midfielder who's main talent was stopping the opposition play.

One advantage of being an old fart is that we can say "I saw England win the World Cup".

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A toothless Nobby Stiles running around Wembley after the game was one of the iconic images of the day. He was the type of player who doesn't always get the praise they deserve, a typical ball-winning midfielder who's main talent was stopping the opposition play.

One advantage of being an old fart is that we can say "I saw England win the World Cup".
    This old fart saw it too and I won 4 shillings of my mates from it.

RIP another one of England's wingless wonders.

I was at University in the run up - never understood why I didn't go to any of the games in Liverpool but I had Portuguese friends, so with a combination of European Cup and World Cup I was able to rub it in.

But I was at home for the final and jumped up in the air when one of the goals went in, maybe the 3rd. The armchair broke when I landed. Mum was not well pleased. Dad thought it was worth it.

I saw it too, but only 30 years later on the telly.

RIP Nobby.

I always add, “and you youngsters never will”.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I saw it too, but only 30 years later on the telly.

RIP Nobby.
    It was only when I saw it years later that I saw we played in red.

RIP Nobby.

Sad addition to this is that it’s just been reported that Bobby Charlton has dementia. Hard not to see a connection between such a horrible disease and heading those heavy old footballs.