+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ipswich A

But hes not a goalscorer. Other attributes, certainly, but hasn't scored goals wherever hes been.
    20 goals in nearly 150 league games does not make for prolific goalscoring.
    Last edited by whosbrianwilson; 04-11-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    But hes not a goalscorer. Other attributes, certainly, but hasn't scored goals wherever hes been.
    20 goals in nearly 150 league games does not make for prolific goalscoring.
    So what's his job? To hold the ball up or to head it/pass it to the team, is he doing this? I wish him well but I don't believe he is doing any of this?

Against Gillingham I saw he did one header to a team mate and one pass. He either needs to improve on that or needs another striker with him but that would need a change of formation. I can't comment on Zinzala as I have not seen him play but would he be any worse?
    Could learn a lot from Porter and I hope he does

Mandron can only work with what he's given. He only contributed one header and one pass because he only received that number of passes himself. The trouble lies with the midfield not pushing forward enough with the ball and the two wide men running a furrow along the lines. Because of this, Mandron has to cover the whole opposition half and, in the last few games, more than that as he isn't getting the service. It is also necessary that he has other roles as well e.g. pulling away defenders and creating space for others to move into. Unfortunately, this has been happening but those who take the space have missed a number of chances that have fallen to them in the last 3 games.
    When a side fails to score goals the lone striker/targetman cannot be blamed for it all anymore than can the goalkeeper for all goals conceded.
    As said, a number of times, the Alex need to up the pace. This is true in possession and out of it. Teams know what to expect from us, we shouldn't make it easier for them.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Mandron can only work with what he's given. He only contributed one header and one pass because he only received that number of passes himself. The trouble lies with the midfield not pushing forward enough with the ball and the two wide men running a furrow along the lines. Because of this, Mandron has to cover the whole opposition half and, in the last few games, more than that as he isn't getting the service. It is also necessary that he has other roles as well e.g. pulling away defenders and creating space for others to move into. Unfortunately, this has been happening but those who take the space have missed a number of chances that have fallen to them in the last 3 games.
    When a side fails to score goals the lone striker/targetman cannot be blamed for it all anymore than can the goalkeeper for all goals conceded.
    As said, a number of times, the Alex need to up the pace. This is true in possession and out of it. Teams know what to expect from us, we shouldn't make it easier for them.

That's my point, he had more chances to head it but didn't win them and he did touch the ball but he didn't control it and lost it. He needs to hold it up whilst the MF get there. Mind they need to be quicker at this level and hopefully that will come in time. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed but he has a lot to learn playing there and do we have the time?
    Hopefully by Xmas I will be eating my own words

You can’t assess a player’s value to the side using one match, though - if that was the case then Ng wouldn’t be starting today after a particularly poor show on Tuesday; he needs to defend properly and I would suggest that if he gave the winger so much time to pick out the cross that Akinde had time for a cuppa before choosing to be marked by Pixie before scoring the easiest header he’ll have all season.

To revert to Mandron, I reckon he’s won the ball back more times than anyone bar Offord in the matches I’ve seen, certainly more than Kirk and Dale/Powell combined. Yes, a few more goals would be nice but he should have had an assist if Powell had scored (as he should) and if we are assessing his contribution against Gillingham, one header cleared off the line and a difficult chance back off the inside of the post into the ‘keeper’s arms.

I would agree that Porter may have scored more, but would suggest he would have made no more contribution and that we would have had less possession. I think we should also say that, as a new player this season, he has settled into the Crewe way very quickly and looks as though he’s been with us for years - it took Donaldson, for one, a lot longer to settle.

Scored again today I see!!

I'm not sure Porter would have scored more. Mandron does a lot more work on the ball than CP does and possibly gets fewer chances. Don't forget that CP misses a lot more than he scores AND is nearly always offside. Mandron will pass CP's best tally for us and his stats will be a lot more efficient. The goalscoring problem lies not with Mandron but with the lack of alternative regular goalscorers. Kirk scored his second today. Pixie has 3. Finney has 2. Noone else has got more than a single goal. We are missing Powell's input in particular and six other regulars have failed to score.

Well Mandron played well on Saturday, that was more like it. Perhaps he read my comments about getting into the box quicker (anticipation)? I doubt that but looks like DA has had a word.
    He scored because he got into the 6 yard box quicker, previous times he has been a yard short.

An alternative view is that, having won possession himself, he played the pass out wide to Ng who looked up and delayed the pass for a fraction until Mandron would be in the box to receive the pass!

As gazan said above, Ports isn’t known for his pace yet scored his fair share. As best I can recall most of them weren’t through his pace but being in the end of passes, especially from Lowery.... oh, and taking pens of course.

Time for a few front men to overhaul Pixie on the scoring front... and for Pixie to keep that target increasing too! And to give Mikael the credit he is due.... and no, I’m not his agent!

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post

Time for a few front men to overhaul Pixie on the scoring front... and for Pixie to keep that target increasing too! And to give Mikael the credit he is due.... and no, I’m not his agent!
    Charlie is on 2 now, AND one of those was a header.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    An alternative view is that, having won possession himself, he played the pass out wide to Ng who looked up and delayed the pass for a fraction until Mandron would be in the box to receive the pass!

As gazan said above, Ports isn’t known for his pace yet scored his fair share. As best I can recall most of them weren’t through his pace but being in the end of passes, especially from Lowery.... oh, and taking pens of course.

Thought it was Wintle who provided the pass but never mind, he scored

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12