+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deid!

“All women”?

Whether or not he made such an empirical statement, I don’t know and don’t have the desire to check it out, or argue about it. I do remember the furore over some interview where he expressed a view on domestic vioence, and I did find, before I posted at the weekend just to check exactly what he said, this clip. There are references elsewhere to a 1965 interview where he expressed the original opinion, apparently. I won’t be Googling it, as I understand that that interview was in Playboy, and I don’t need the concomitant spam, thanks.

https://youtu.be/mzXkbJwrN38

Poor stuff as far as I’m concerned.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 02-11-2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Don’t smack my bitch up

It certainly wasn’t one of his best lines that he has said.

His best film. God'sh holy troushersh.

On cooncil TV tomorrow.

You're welcome.

The Herald MagazineBARRY DIDCOCK

THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING
    Sunday, Film 4, 6.10pm
    TRIBUTES to the late Sean Connery have necessarily concentrated on the roles for which he’s best known – James Bond, which he played seven times between 1962 and 1983, and Jimmy Malone, from 1987’s The Untouchables, the film which won him his only Oscar. No arguments there. But what would the purists say was Connery’s best film?
    Probably not 1968 Western Shalako, in which he played alongside Brigitte Bardot, or 1974 sci-fi curio Zardoz.
    There are plenty of contenders, however, among them The Name Of The Rose, The Hunt For Red October, The Hill and Finding Forrester.
    But while each has its merits, they’d all have to get past this late, great offering from Hollywood legend John Huston.
    Released in 1975 it stars Connery as Daniel Dravot and Michael Caine as Peachy Carnehan, two ex-soldiers turned roguish adventurers in 19th century India who find their way to the remote mountain kingdom of Kafiristan where Dravot is set up as a king and then taken for a deity, a fact which goes to his head somewhat.
    It’s based on Rudyard Kipling’s 1888 novella of the same name, which Huston had wanted to film for decades. He originally fancied Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable in the lead roles and later moved on to Robert Redford and Paul Newman – this was post-Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid – but Newman reportedly turned the role down with the words: “They’ve got to be English. Connery and Caine”.
    Newman’s poor grasp of nationality aside, he pretty much nailed it. And so it was to Connery and Caine that Huston turned. “Thank God,” says esteemed film critic David Thomson in Have You Seen?, his survey of his 1000 favourite films. “For once those two get together, the heart of the film is impregnable, and a natural boyish humour emerges.”
    And how. Connery and Caine are on scintillating form, the camera work is fabulous, the backdrops are exquisite (Huston shot the film on location in France and Morocco) and there are endless pleasing touches both in the adaptation and the casting of the supporting actors. Rudyard Kipling appears as a character at the start (played by Christopher Plummer,
    who stepped in after Richard Burton pulled out) and there are winning roles for Saeed Jaffrey (as Billy Fish, an ex-Ghurka that Danny and Peachy fall in with) and Shakira Caine, Michael Caine’s wife, who plays Roxanne, the woman Danny falls hard for.
    The film was nominated for four Oscars including one for its sumptuous costumes, designed by the great Edith Head, the woman who put Audrey Hepburn into that iconic LBD in Breakfast At Tiffany’s.
    A great tribute to a great Scottish actor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12