+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burnley FC Poppy

Burnley FC Poppy

You can buy a BFC poppy for £4.99 plus delivery for Remembrance Day from here.

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/collect...emier%20League

Name:  2CF5F7B4-4B08-4C3B-992D-80D606364DA5.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  5.3 KB

I received mine yesterday. I shall wear it with pride. An extremely worthy cause in which to make a contribution.

Garlick will probably have a 50% stake and I have long since given up on trying to find out where exactly the millions of pounds raised over the two weeks of can rattling goes, so I will pass on this one.

I am sure Supersub6 will know better than me, but it seems from on the outside our veterans who experience severe physical and mental trauma do not have adequate resources to enrich their lives following military discharge.

"Homeless veterans" should not even be a term capable of being used from a dictionary, just where the hell does all of the "poppy money" go?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Garlick will probably have a 50% stake and I have long since given up on trying to find out where exactly the millions of pounds raised over the two weeks of can rattling goes, so I will pass on this one.

I am sure Supersub6 will know better than me, but it seems from on the outside our veterans who experience severe physical and mental trauma do not have adequate resources to enrich their lives following military discharge.

"Homeless veterans" should not even be a term capable of being used from a dictionary, just where the hell does all of the "poppy money" go?
    Yes, money does go to those at the head of charities, however, the Royal British Legion and its associates do use the money raised to help both veterans and those still serving and, along with other service charities, have helped 9 of my own clients this year.
    The charities are the people who really do help because, no matter how badly injured you are, either physically or mentally, in most cases the MOD ditch you once they have discharged you.

One thing I will say about 'homeless veterans' is that not all of them want the responsibility of running their own house and, sadly, they live on the streets in spite of many of us trying to get them sorted.

All service charities are struggling this year because so many fund raising events have not taken place and The Royal British Legion will suffer again next week when The Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall does not take place.

I am one of many case workers for SSAFA in Northumberland and I have 9 cases on the go at the moment and there are no easy answers to anything, however, I just get on with it and do what I can and say thank you to all those people who do contribute to the cause.

My grandfather and a great uncle both died from injuries received in World War 1. My father served in the RAMC in WW2 and thankfully came home safe. Unlike my mother’s war time fiancé who did not. If he had I would not be here. Two of my brothers served with the RAF Regiment and the Parachute Regiment respectively. I have always attended the Remembrance Day Service at our local Cenotaph. I do not even know what arrangements are in place this year. If you want to know why we need to keep helping the Royal British Legion this is why.Name:  AA8A2E2F-80C1-4D67-B6F7-1B5B318703B9.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  14.8 KB

The Child Bride sends a not unsubstantial monthly amount to "Help for Heroes" outwood. Her son served in three conflicts and now suffers quite badly from PTSD.

Similar to you, both my paternal and maternal grandfathers came home from WW1 with severe injuries, which sadly resulted in their premature deaths.

My father and four uncles served with distinction in WW2 and went to war from 1939/40 until 1945/6/7.

From a personal point of view I see little evidence of the government of the day supporting our veterans, except on the showcase Cenotaph day, which I find hypocritical and embarrassing.

I have a corner of my garden built in the fashion of of a memorial to those of my family who served for our country. Neighbours come and place wooden crosses and poppies around it from now on until November 11th.

My gripe is not with remembering the fallen nor with those who have served, but the lack of transparency where the "poppy money" goes.

Thank you to Supersub6 for offering some enlightenment, but should the government of the day not provide the funds to properly support our veterans and not rely on "can shaking"?

"........Thank you to Supersub6 for offering some enlightenment, but should the government of the day not provide the funds to properly support our veterans and not rely on "can shaking"?"

BT --of course they should, however, many of the politicians of all parties would rather persecute those who did their duty rather than help those in real need. This applies to those who served in Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. Once discharged they receive little help, particularly those with PTSD and I know now that many veterans of WWII must have been suffering with PTSD even though it was not even recognised until very recent times. My own father was amongst them but, in spite of one mental breakdown and a couple of strokes, nobody in the medical profession or in our family realised until I got involved in my service charity work some 15 years ago.

Veterans will never be supported by the government of the day because we are classed as a nuisance once we have done our bit ---hence the need for charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    "........Thank you to Supersub6 for offering some enlightenment, but should the government of the day not provide the funds to properly support our veterans and not rely on "can shaking"?"

BT --of course they should, however, many of the politicians of all parties would rather persecute those who did their duty rather than help those in real need. This applies to those who served in Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. Once discharged they receive little help, particularly those with PTSD and I know now that many veterans of WWII must have been suffering with PTSD even though it was not even recognised until very recent times. My own father was amongst them but, in spite of one mental breakdown and a couple of strokes, nobody in the medical profession or in our family realised until I got involved in my service charity work some 15 years ago.

Veterans will never be supported by the government of the day because we are classed as a nuisance once we have done our bit ---hence the need for charity.
    That is an overwhelmingly sad post Supersub6 and sort of confirms most of my worse fears. Which brings me to one of my pet hates, "Why is it always the lower ranks that get shafted and not the CO's?"

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)