+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Clough

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I see what you're saying, but this appointment really has brought it home to me just how far Notts have fallen. Stags are our 2nd nearest neighbours, you hear about them constantly if you listen to Radio Nottm.

There's not been anything to get excited about with Notts since Hardy was in gear. I probably should just give up on bothering with them at all, but I won't because it did mean everything at one time, I'm always gong to care, but it is worse now than ever, even taking into account the financial crisis. Becoming comfortable in tier 5 is an all time low, I don't care what anybody says, this is the absolute pits for Notts.

I'm going to quit this thread now because I'm boring myself into a dark depression with my own ramblings.
    I think it's a good appointment for Mansfield .... I think they will do well .... but I really don't think it's any reason to sink into the depths of despair.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I agree with all of that.

I think fans who are seeing their club currently living up to expectations or over achieving will identify so much more with what they're about in the here and now, whilst those under-achieving are far more likely to hark back to past glories and play the history card when faced with the debate I've sparked on this thread.

I'm much more interested in Notts' past than present, I'd prefer that not to be the case, or at least less so. I don't think it's healthy that we lean on our past in order to excuse the present. I am impressed with Stags for appointing Clough and their owners continued determination to make a success of what is a relatively small club, we haven't seen that level of sustained determination and commitment at Notts for a long time. I think we have to be gracious enough to hand it to them that they are now the no.2 club in the county, we're clutching at straws to pretend otherwise.
    Of course, clubs with a rich history will always suggest that history matters, while clubs that have never achieved anything will have a go at those clubs for living in the past. In a way, both sides are right, but I'd rather be a fan of a club that has decent memories to fall back on.

I don't blame you for being more interested in Notts' past than present. The present is the worst we've ever been in our long history. It's shameful that we were so poorly run for so long that we ended up where we are today.

As for Mansfield, yes, it's a solid appointment. They'll probably kick on from here and do at least OK. In fact, I'd say they have just as good a chance of getting promoted from L2 as we do from the NL, especially if Ardley sticks around. I will happily concede that they are the better team and are currently more successful - there is literally zero basis to suggest otherwise. But I won't concede that they are a bigger or more significant club than Notts.

Just to hammer home my point one last time, imagine in a couple of years we end up in the same division as them again. With both clubs playing at the same level, would you consider Notts to be the bigger club or Mansfield? I'm guessing the answer is Notts. And the reason it's Notts is because the 3 or 4 years that they were above us wasn't enough to undo the countless years we were above them previously.

Honeymoon over? Despite appointing the Messiah, after losing 0-1 at home to Harrogate tonight our six-fingered friends are just one place above the drop zone with the team below (Scunny) being level on points and having two games in hand.

What sort of tinpot club loses 0-1 at home to Harrogate? Come on Coxy, you still have the chance to become a Notts hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Honeymoon over? Despite appointing the Messiah, after losing 0-1 at home to Harrogate tonight our six-fingered friends are just one place above the drop zone with the team below (Scunny) being level on points and having two games in hand.

What sort of tinpot club loses 0-1 at home to Harrogate? Come on Coxy, you still have the chance to become a Notts hero!
    Yup. The new manager bounce has lasted long at both clubs in Nottinghamshire that recently replaced the gaffers.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Of course, clubs with a rich history will always suggest that history matters, while clubs that have never achieved anything will have a go at those clubs for living in the past. In a way, both sides are right, but I'd rather be a fan of a club that has decent memories to fall back on.

I don't blame you for being more interested in Notts' past than present. The present is the worst we've ever been in our long history. It's shameful that we were so poorly run for so long that we ended up where we are today.

As for Mansfield, yes, it's a solid appointment. They'll probably kick on from here and do at least OK. In fact, I'd say they have just as good a chance of getting promoted from L2 as we do from the NL, especially if Ardley sticks around. I will happily concede that they are the better team and are currently more successful - there is literally zero basis to suggest otherwise. But I won't concede that they are a bigger or more significant club than Notts.

Just to hammer home my point one last time, imagine in a couple of years we end up in the same division as them again. With both clubs playing at the same level, would you consider Notts to be the bigger club or Mansfield? I'm guessing the answer is Notts. And the reason it's Notts is because the 3 or 4 years that they were above us wasn't enough to undo the countless years we were above them previously.
    Thats why they call it the good old days. I am so glad i have seen Notts County in the top 2 tiers , a truly fantastic time , when i used to go to my nans in nottingham in the early 90,s

That team would run rings around our current team, ahead by a country mile. Happy days , happy memories .

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    That team would run rings around our current team, ahead by a country mile. Happy days , happy memories .
    The fact that we were 3 or 4 divisions higher might agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Thats why they call it the good old days. I am so glad i have seen Notts County in the top 2 tiers , a truly fantastic time , when i used to go to my nans in nottingham in the early 90,s
    It was even better in the early 80s imo. Not only were we playing the top teams, we were competing on level terms. 3 years in the top league 2

Shame the financial benefits were not there back then ,i mean these days if you stay in the top flight for a while, you have a great chance to return - look at villa spending nearly 100 million on transfers in the championship. Its like now how many of the teams relegated teams will not return before their payments run out. Notts nearly got to the play offs for a return in 94, with all the extra millions today that would have been more much more likely

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    It was even better in the early 80s imo. Not only were we playing the top teams, we were competing on level terms. 3 years in the top league 2
    Yes, our early 80s team was very much superior, maybe only the center back pairing of Yates and Short would be worth swapping plus Tommy Johnson on the bench.

Terrible result for Mansfield in mid-week, Clough might have a much more tough task than I thought.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast