+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sunday v Celtic

Sunday v Celtic

No changes since last week.

Team: Chapman, O'Donnell, Maguire, Gallagher, McGinley , O'Hara, Campbell, Polworth, Lang, Watt, Cole

COYW good luck guys

Done inside half an hour.

We actually recovered well from booting the ball into our own net but we're not pulling back two. Right side of the team has been fine, the left...oh dear. McGinley has struggled against Frimpong but the key is Maguire is getting absolutely hammered by Rogic - turns out looking ok v Ross County and Livi not quite the same as Celtic.

A tough one into the international break but overall it's been a decent run.

4-1 final score.

We actually made a game of it and were unlucky not to score before we did but it was clear we were only back in it because Celtic had eased up. I said in our wee chat they'd simply up it and score again by the 80th minute - it didn't even take them that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    4-1 final score.

We actually made a game of it and were unlucky not to score before we did but it was clear we were only back in it because Celtic had eased up. I said in our wee chat they'd simply up it and score again by the 80th minute - it didn't even take them that long.
    Celtic were better than us - all the more reason not to gift them a start. It's a funny world - one end; ball hits post, rebounds, hits Celtic player on the knee and goes in. Other end; ball hits Celtic player on the leg and goes past the post. Against Stenhousemuir or somebody, we'd probably have had a penalty. I thought that most of our guys put in a decent shift, but the other team was better. It happens.
    Who's next?
    PS - how things have changed - a Scottish League match, and we're up against two Norwegians, two French, a Swiss, a Netherlander, a Tunisian, an Irishman, an Israeli and an Aussie.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    4-1 final score.

I don't see how you can acknowledge that we were only back in it because Celtic had eased up yet contend that we made a game of it. We didn't make a game of it, we were dismal yet again and like rabbits in the headlights as we always are against the Old Firm nowadays. The game was over as a contest within half an hour and thereafter Celtic took their foot off the gas. It wasn't a case of us "making a game of it" it was a case of them moving down a gear.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    I don't see how you can acknowledge that we were only back in it because Celtic had eased up yet contend that we made a game of it. We didn't make a game of it, we were dismal yet again and like rabbits in the headlights as we always are against the Old Firm nowadays. The game was over as a contest within half an hour and thereafter Celtic took their foot off the gas. It wasn't a case of us "making a game of it" it was a case of them moving down a gear.
    We could just as easily have settled for 0-2 in the second half and that'd have been that...we were unlucky the corner didn't get bundled over the line and Lang inadvertently kept out Watt's shot which looked like it was going in.

You can complain about our mistakes and the outcome but I don't see how anyone can say we didn't make a game of it for most of the second half regardless of how that came about.

TBH I'm sick of just 'making a game of it' versus the Bigoted two. I'd much rather we just boot the ball into our own goal 3 times and give them the points.

These days - more than ever - our only games of interest should be playing teams other than these 2.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Thought played reasonably well considering our squad.
    We gifted the 1st, came back at 2:1 but when became 3:1 and made subs, lost any momentum and a 4th was predictable.

IMO we have have problem with both wing backs as ineffective and lack any danger going forward.
    O’Hara a revelation playing defence. .. Maguire a welcome addition to the mid-field but Polworth needs to regain level of consistency.
    Thankfully Robinson has abandoned wingers (Hylton, Seedorf & Hastie) as utterly pointless our style of play.
    Thought forwards, incl. White, presented a threat and hopeful for the future.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)