+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our recent record vs the Old Firm

Our recent record vs the Old Firm

First and foremost, I know, I KNOW that we don't have the budget that Celtic and Rangers have and I don't expect us to compete with them over the course of a season. And I fully accept that over the piece, we will lose the majority of games against both of them. That's always been the case.

However.

Since we drew 1-1 with Celtic at Fir Park in December 2018 we have lost our last ELEVEN straight games against both of them. ELEVEN!! When was the last time that happened? Even in the 90s when Rangers had Gascoigne and Laudrup, or when Celtic had Martin O'Neill and were a force in Europe, we always managed to at least draw with one or both of them over a season. Christ, even McCall managed that!

But our recent record against them us disgraceful and our performances pathetic. We always look petrified from the get go, that leads to us panicking in possession which inevitably leads to costly errors like way saw today, or when we did the same when we bent over to Rangers a couple of months back.

There is something wrong with our mentality in these games nowadays. We're not just losing constantly, we are frequently losing by at least three goals and are conceding very preventable goals on a regular basis. We can't just write off these games as so many seem to do, this needs to be addressed.

We lose the game before we are even on the park. We don’t believe we can win these games and therefore our mindset has been settled before a ball is kicked. Ian Barraclough was never the greatest manager but he believed we could beat Sevco in the league playoffs home and away and we did. We can’t keep blaming the fact the Old Firm have more money than us and therefore we can’t beat them, tell that to the likes of Colin O’Neil, Dougie Arnott, Michael Higdon they would laugh at a suggestion who can’t beat the “Old Firm”

What a waste of ink LSM ... we should only focus on the teams we can compete with. Harsh to say, but that's the real world these days. You'd think we were the only ones losing by big margins.

Sevco 8, Accies 0. Rest my case m'Lud.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    What a waste of ink LSM ... we should only focus on the teams we can compete with. Harsh to say, but that's the real world these days. You'd think we were the only ones losing by big margins.

Sevco 8, Accies 0. Rest my case m'Lud.
    No you're missing the point. I fully accept that it's possible for sides like us and others of the same stature to lose heavily to one or both of them, but we have now lost our last 11 against both of them combined. To add some context to my argument, if you want to use Accies losing 8-0 at Ibrox today to justify your point, Accies also WON 1-0 on their previous visit to Ibrox back in March. So while they lost by a big margin today, at least unlike us they can say that they haven't failed to pick up a single point in their last 11 League meetings with the Old Firm. Indeed they've actually managed to record two League wins against Rangers in the last three years whilst we've managed none against either them or Celtic, so I'm afraid that negates your attempted excuse of "we should only focus on teams we can compete with".

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    No you're missing the point. I fully accept that it's possible for sides like us and others of the same stature to lose heavily to one or both of them, but we have now lost our last 11 against both of them combined. To add some context to my argument, if you want to use Accies losing 8-0 at Ibrox today to justify your point, Accies also WON 1-0 on their previous visit to Ibrox back in March. So while they lost by a big margin today, at least unlike us they can say that they haven't failed to pick up a single point in their last 11 League meetings with the Old Firm. Indeed they've actually managed to record two League wins against Rangers in the last three years whilst we've managed none against either them or Celtic, so I'm afraid that negates your attempted excuse of "we should only focus on teams we can compete with".
    I do get your point, I do. However, 'fluke' results like Accies winning 2 games against them in 3 years are going to be more of a fluke now than any team getting rattled by them both by 6, 7 or 8 nil going forward.

Well if it's a 'fluke' then you'd think we'd occasionally be able to 'fluke' a win against them ourselves now and again? But as it is we've not even managed a solitary draw against either of them in the last eleven games.

And that attitude of "teams like us getting pumped off the big clubs is just the way of it" is one of the biggest problems we've got at the club just now. We have our ready made excuses for failing every single time.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)