+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rivalry, European fitba, spectating and that

Rivalry, European fitba, spectating and that

Article by James Bream in today's P&J, a couple of pages after a letter written by, I think, an occasional poster in this ailing place:

Culture, economics, football and Covid – an ugly mix I probably shouldn’t attempt to integrate into this half-page. However, I love a challenge. A quick warning for the bourgeois and political classes reading this: You might not like the next few sentences. I also know of one Twitter acquaintance who will be shaking their head (you know who you are).

For me, though, football captures everything culture is about. Culture is who we are, it is deep inside us. We don’t think about why it is there, it just is. Culture is part learned, part absorbed and partly something we are born into. All of this for me is what football is about.
    Football is centuries old and based on fierce competition, bitter rivalries and a tribal element which many dislike and cannot comprehend. These are all the reasons I love it. As an Aberdeen fan, it is the games against rivals that are the most exciting, the ones that get to your core, which bring both joy and pain. I want to see Hearts and Dundee United fail or get relegated and then I want them promoted again, too, so we can beat them again. Rivalries against old teams who often beat us like Celtic are also a joy. It’s hard to explain but it’s part of who I am. The culture of football is ***** to fans who pay for the whole ecosystem.

Recently, big clubs published “Project Big Picture”. The proposals were culturally insulting to many fans and disrespectful to what European football is. For those who don’t know, the idea is to remove the big teams from each European league and pit them against each other. This makes economic sense to ( mainly) overseas owners and would make the clubs more money. However, the proposals completely ignore the basis of European football and that cultural backdrop. There is no bitter rivalry between Man United and Barcelona or PSG and Liverpool. These matches represent elite sport no doubt, but they lack something that makes football what it is deep down.

Of course, I am writing this through my understanding of football culture today and that which has prevailed in the UK for the last 150 years. It is true that culture changes and evolves, and that is why there will be change in the future in the structure of football competition. However, culture changes slowly and those trying to force change need to remember culture is deeply set inside us all and damn hard to move.
    I’ll now drop in politics and Covid to the mix.
    Discussions around lockdowns are increasingly fraught and dominated by a two-way fight between the economy and public health. I don’t believe this does the decision-making process justice because one of the major things getting stripped away from people is their sense of belonging, self and their culture – this impacts mental health, too.
    As governments ask us to do more to help, we continue to see greater removal of civil liberties. However, I believe what actually hurts to the core is the stripping away of our culture and our norms. Visiting family, going out, travelling and much more are part of who we are as a people and a nation, whether you identify that as Scotland or the UK.

I believe the single spectrum of economy versus health is driving governments to remove key cultural grounding points which are actually safe, very low-risk and can help us be mentally well. There should be a three-way discussion – what can we do safely (remember the phrase “following the science”), what do we need economically, and how do we protect our cultural norms?

Now here is the “he would say that” bit. We are stopping football fans going to games when it is safe. Why not let more football fans into outside stadiums using strict controls? The science shows it is possible.

The current “on or off” approach appears to lack an evidence base (the science) and unnecessarily removes a part of our economy, culture and liberty. I fear culture has been forgotten and governments would do well to remember that culture is at the heart of who we are and what a nation is.

The more we strip away, the more imbalanced individuals and society becomes. It is at that point where things become very fraught, our mental wellbeing is stretched and society tends to fight much harder to retain its own rules.

I never wanted United to ever come back. But the rest is a good read

Football coming back is doable. I have seen it for my own eyes on six occasions.

thought I'd throw this in here , since I came across it today

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Article by James Bream in today's P&J, a couple of pages after a letter written by, I think, an occasional poster in this ailing place:

Culture, economics, football and Covid – an ugly mix I probably shouldn’t attempt to integrate into this half-page. However, I love a challenge. A quick warning for the bourgeois and political classes reading this: You might not like the next few sentences. I also know of one Twitter acquaintance who will be shaking their head (you know who you are).

For me, though, football captures everything culture is about. Culture is who we are, it is deep inside us. We don’t think about why it is there, it just is. Culture is part learned, part absorbed and partly something we are born into. All of this for me is what football is about.
    Football is centuries old and based on fierce competition, bitter rivalries and a tribal element which many dislike and cannot comprehend. These are all the reasons I love it. As an Aberdeen fan, it is the games against rivals that are the most exciting, the ones that get to your core, which bring both joy and pain. I want to see Hearts and Dundee United fail or get relegated and then I want them promoted again, too, so we can beat them again. Rivalries against old teams who often beat us like Celtic are also a joy. It’s hard to explain but it’s part of who I am. The culture of football is ***** to fans who pay for the whole ecosystem.

Recently, big clubs published “Project Big Picture”. The proposals were culturally insulting to many fans and disrespectful to what European football is. For those who don’t know, the idea is to remove the big teams from each European league and pit them against each other. This makes economic sense to ( mainly) overseas owners and would make the clubs more money. However, the proposals completely ignore the basis of European football and that cultural backdrop. There is no bitter rivalry between Man United and Barcelona or PSG and Liverpool. These matches represent elite sport no doubt, but they lack something that makes football what it is deep down.

Of course, I am writing this through my understanding of football culture today and that which has prevailed in the UK for the last 150 years. It is true that culture changes and evolves, and that is why there will be change in the future in the structure of football competition. However, culture changes slowly and those trying to force change need to remember culture is deeply set inside us all and damn hard to move.
    Discussions around lockdowns are increasingly fraught and dominated by a two-way fight between the economy and public health. I don’t believe this does the decision-making process justice because one of the major things getting stripped away from people is their sense of belonging, self and their culture – this impacts mental health, too.
    As governments ask us to do more to help, we continue to see greater removal of civil liberties. However, I believe what actually hurts to the core is the stripping away of our culture and our norms. Visiting family, going out, travelling and much more are part of who we are as a people and a nation, whether you identify that as Scotland or the UK.

I believe the single spectrum of economy versus health is driving governments to remove key cultural grounding points which are actually safe, very low-risk and can help us be mentally well. There should be a three-way discussion – what can we do safely (remember the phrase “following the science”), what do we need economically, and how do we protect our cultural norms?

Now here is the “he would say that” bit. We are stopping football fans going to games when it is safe. Why not let more football fans into outside stadiums using strict controls? The science shows it is possible.

The current “on or off” approach appears to lack an evidence base (the science) and unnecessarily removes a part of our economy, culture and liberty. I fear culture has been forgotten and governments would do well to remember that culture is at the heart of who we are and what a nation is.

The more we strip away, the more imbalanced individuals and society becomes. It is at that point where things become very fraught, our mental wellbeing is stretched and society tends to fight much harder to retain its own rules.
    Some read that

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    thought I'd throw this in here , since I came across it today
    I admire the boy's enthusiasm, but being bracketed with that plastic/wet cardboard stone in the shoe is one of the Scottish fitba media's most unforgivable crimes, born out of laziness and an inability to imagine anything that doesn't overtly reference their darling bigots. Why are people taken in by it?

Jute colleague: "When our teams were successful back in the 80s..."

"FUUUCK OFF AND COUNT THE TROPHIES YOU FUUCKING LEECH".

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Some read that
    why

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    why

That’s why

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    That’s why
    But why

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    But why
    I am considering copy and pasting a full press and journal as there might be one bit in the whole thing that is worthy of attention.
    Stuff it, I will leave it to 57vintage as they have more time on their hands.

I admire the boy's enthusiasm, but being bracketed with that plastic/wet cardboard stone in the shoe is one of the Scottish fitba media's most unforgivable crimes, born out of laziness and an inability to imagine anything that doesn't overtly reference their darling bigots. Why are people taken in by it?

Jute colleague: "When our teams were successful back in the 80s..."

"FUUUCK OFF AND COUNT THE TROPHIES YOU FUUCKING LEECH".
    Cringeworthy watch that , boy needs to get a proper job instead of fanning about making sh@te videos !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast