+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman

I have just bought some different ‘coloured led lights’ - should I resign?

Just read that my former landlord has stepped in as interim Chairman. Hope he calms things down a bit, he's a decent bloke.

Thank goodness the (presumably) white lads on this thread aren’t offended by the word Clarke used.

Here is the Wikipedia article on why some other people might be, and maybe more importantly, why someone in Greg Clarke’s position should have known not to use the word.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Thank goodness the (presumably) white lads on this thread aren’t offended by the word Clarke used.

Here is the Wikipedia article on why some other people might be, and maybe more importantly, why someone in Greg Clarke’s position should have known not to use the word.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored
    We don't live in the US, we don't use the word "Color".

I don't understand why "coloured" is worse than black.
    I don't understand why black is ok.
    I really don't understand why either is an issue. Will it all change round in three years time?

Where is the nearest brain corrective centre? Or should I say center.

However some of the stuff he said his out of order, but the colour black? Oh well - perhaps "non-white", brown? Sure that I've heard crime reports using the term "coloured" and I'm sure Asians don't relate to being called Black.

Anyone can make a mistake. And had it been a one off mistake then perhaps the apology would and perhaps should have sufficed.

But it’s clear he’s got a whole load of issues with anyone who isn’t a white hetero***ual man. So pretty simple he had to go.

It's words people.

Words do not hurt people.

Guns, knives, bombs... now they hurt people.

I will probably get shot for saying this, but I think it's all to do with what's in a person's heart. You could use the most immaculate PC language in the universe and still be a fascist. Conversely, you could slip in the occasional "offensive" word either through being a bit muddled, or with humorous intent and be the nicest person in the world.

The problem - as I see it - is that "hearts" are very difficult to judge, but words are very easy to document and incriminate.

Apologies all. Sermon over.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    We don't live in the US, we don't use the word "Color".

I don't understand why "coloured" is worse than black.
    I don't understand why black is ok.
    I really don't understand why either is an issue. Will it all change round in three years time?

Where is the nearest brain corrective centre? Or should I say center.

However some of the stuff he said his out of order, but the colour black? Oh well - perhaps "non-white", brown? Sure that I've heard crime reports using the term "coloured" and I'm sure Asians don't relate to being called Black.

Quite apart from the first three words in that link being ‘Colored, or coloured’, and it also referring to use of the word in the UK, I didn’t know slight differences of how words are spelt in American English changed their meaning as well?

This sort of thing either matters to you or it doesn’t. You either go out of your way to find out why words or phrases may be offensive to some or you don’t. If you don’t, then you probably wonder why Jim Davidson isn’t allowed on telly anymore to tell Chalkie White gags in that funny accent. Jokes don’t hurt anyone do they?

It wasn’t just the coloured remarks. He said lots of things that were really quite bizarre to hear from a head of the FA to a government committee. There were sweeping generalisations about many sections of society. Someone in his position should know much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    It's words people.

Words do not hurt people.

Guns, knives, bombs... now they hurt people.

I will probably get shot for saying this, but I think it's all to do with what's in a person's heart. You could use the most immaculate PC language in the universe and still be a fascist. Conversely, you could slip in the occasional "offensive" word either through being a bit muddled, or with humorous intent and be the nicest person in the world.

The problem - as I see it - is that "hearts" are very difficult to judge, but words are very easy to document and incriminate.

Apologies all. Sermon over.
    'Words do not hurt people'

How wrong you are.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    'Words do not hurt people'

How wrong you are.
    MM , we agree on something !x

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast