+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman

Greg Clarke resigns as FA chairman

Greg Clarke has resigned as Football Association chairman following the language he used in a reference to black players when talking to MPs about diversity.

Clarke used the term "coloured footballers" when talking to members of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport select committee by video link.

He apologised after being prompted to say sorry by MP Kevin Brennan.

Clarke had been talking about racist abuse of players by trolls on social media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54894864

... pushed out by the PC brigade. Spineless as a leader of the FA; spineless as a man ...

Don't think it's worth Navypie applying for the job then!

It seems we are no longer allowed to say anything in case it offends somebody. The words he spoke were not racist nor were they anti-gay or ***ist!. For heavens sake this country needs to lighten up and stop pampering to the PC brigade.
    Last edited by BanjoPie; 10-11-2020 at 06:21 PM. Reason: PS: The word *** is not a bloody swear word !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    It seems we are no longer allowed to say anything in case it offends somebody. The words he spoke were not racist nor were they anti-gay or ***ist!. For heavens sake this country needs to lighten up and stop pampering to the PC brigade.
    I can remember hearing the word "coloured" when it was still apparently more acceptable than "black", TV newsreaders and documentary voice-overs would use it, but not since early 1980s, maybe a touch earlier. I would have thought we all knew to avoid "coloured" by the turn of the century. The waters have been muddied recently however as we are now increasingly seeing/hearing the phrase "people of colour" (POC) and that's not a problem. So this chap has at least partly had to step down for saying two words the wrong way around.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I can remember hearing the word "coloured" when it was still apparently more acceptable than "black", TV newsreaders and documentary voice-overs would use it, but not since early 1980s, maybe a touch earlier. I would have thought we all knew to avoid "coloured" by the turn of the century. The waters have been muddied recently however as we are now increasingly seeing/hearing the phrase "people of colour" (POC) and that's not a problem. So this chap has at least partly had to step down for saying two words the wrong way around.
    No one is allowed to make a mistake these days without the PC brigade wanting them sacked.

Next thing there will be riots for saying the wrong word

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Middle***, Es***, and Sus***. I never realised UK geography was so offensive. Maybe I should move to S****horpe, or perhaps support Arsenal
    Last edited by Notsohumblepie; 10-11-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: I didn't put Maybe in capitals

it has, as far as I know, been classed as offensive for quite a number of years. I have heard quite a lot of older people still use it though.

Having now read the BBC story, there is more to it than just that word which was used.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast