+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mellonaccio

Mellonaccio

Starting to warm to this not conceding stuff and the way we seem to enjoy not conceding, Walter Smith got Rangers to a uefa cup final playing Wattienaccio as it was coined at the time, worth keeping in mind when the big cup comes around in January

It's brutal yes, not great to watch but it may see us through this season just fine, plus feel there was an improvement tonight in certain areas, for me Sporle in front of Robson is good, as is mcmullan (better than Bolton) in front of Smith and some other positives, w have a very good back up keeper, fuchs will hopefully benefit from tonight, we can hopefully keep this solidity and be more of a threat

Beat Accies a week on Sat (our only league game in till Dec 5th) and we can start to really feel optimistic, would take a fair bit of pressure off with regards any relegation worries going into a difficult Dec

In all honesty, I think some of the expectations have been a little bit unreasonable, we had about a decade of finishing top 6 consistently before the sudden collapse and I think a lot of Arabs have forgotten how tough this division really is without the money of the OF, hell Hearts just got relegated and are double the size!

We got promoted during a pandemic and then lost our manager which I think was a massive blow, we were an amateur outfit before he arrived and I think he knows the game here very well.

We are still on course to be comfortably past the 40 point mark which I think would be a good outcome in our first season up. A wee bit worried about the goings on financially (feel the 'admin 3' thread was possibly tempting fate!) but I think we'll see some outgoings and incomings in Jan and Mellon will now have a good feeling in terms of what needs to be done.

Neilson was correctly criticised for his strange selections (favourites) and i never had much faith in him and glad he's gone.

this is the most iv ever disliked watching us. If i didnt have a season ticket id be streaming it free as there us no way id be paying to watch that. Its a combination of football wanting to play these boring formations, lack of fans driving teams forward, a squad full of lower level players and the way Mellon has set us up. Im gonna have to hold my hands up and admit that my patience is wearing thin with him and his rediculous interview comments already and am actually starting to dislike the man

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Neilson was correctly criticised for his strange selections (favourites) and i never had much faith in him and glad he's gone.
    I'm the opposite as think Neilson is a good manager who will go a very good job for Hearts and would have done with us but that's not what the thread is about

It's meant to be a positive thread btw despite nicknaming it Meolonaccio (after the old Italian defensive style catenaccio) , unlike those moaning about it being bad to watch, I'm starting to enjoy the way we are not conceding and seem to be hungry to not concede, it's becoming a decent base to build from with some promising signs last night

Scotland are one game from qualifying playing similar

Perspective is we could have been down the bottom taking defeats each week, that's been addressed, I'm starting to enjoy the ****housery of us, opponents won't like it either

It could easily have been Disasteraccio last night if the Saints boy had just hit the open goal.
    I agree it's good to see us frustrating teams and a lot of the critics need to remember that Fuchs and McNulty have barely tied their laces since arriving. Good teams are built from the back.

Would be good to see us surprising an opponent soon by going all out McLeanaccio in one of the upcoming games 😁

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    this is the most iv ever disliked watching us. If i didnt have a season ticket id be streaming it free as there us no way id be paying to watch that. Its a combination of football wanting to play these boring formations, lack of fans driving teams forward, a squad full of lower level players and the way Mellon has set us up. Im gonna have to hold my hands up and admit that my patience is wearing thin with him and his rediculous interview comments already and am actually starting to dislike the man
    Bonkersaccio...

Don Revie built Leeds United on having a solid defence.
    Once we are not giving a away stupid/cheap goals we can slowly work on building the rest of a solid team.
    I want a winning team first and foremost.
    Then I want an exciting winning team.Finally I want a team that kisses silver.
    Patience and we will get there.

ps FTD

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    Mellon has probably been forced into playing more defensive because of the financial restraints put on his transfer budget,he probably didn't get the more offensive type he was wanting and maybe taking in the factor that he perhaps felt his Tranmere side that were relegated were too open and has learned a bit from that experience.

Think it was after the win up in County that he said in an interview that he was exited to watch us and everyone else that watches us would be exited too then we lost v Celtic then two 4-0 pumpings in a row.......suddenly there was nae mare "i'm exited" but a more sedate MM and a big rethink on our set up. It's not pleasing on the eye but It needed to happen imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Mellon has probably been forced into playing more defensive because of the financial restraints put on his transfer budget,he probably didn't get the more offensive type he was wanting and maybe taking in the factor that he perhaps felt his Tranmere side that were relegated were too open and has learned a bit from that experience.

Think it was after the win up in County that he said in an interview that he was exited to watch us and everyone else that watches us would be exited too then we lost v Celtic then two 4-0 pumpings in a row.......suddenly there was nae mare "i'm exited" but a more sedate MM and a big rethink on our set up. It's not pleasing on the eye but It needed to happen imo.
    A lot of fans will want to see him heading for the EXIT door if the football doesna improve mate,FACT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)