+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Carrying on the season

Carrying on the season

Just listening to Phil Day, the Grimsby owner on radio again.

Always wanted the season to be suspended but today saying the bail out won’t touch the sides.

Says hotels are putting costs up in lockdown and other costs increasing that’s it’s not viable to carry on. I know Walsall and Shrewsbury are of the same opinion.

I actually think we are in a good position but other clubs buggerrd. Surprised clubs haven’t come together to lobby EFL to suspend especially with 80% furlough to March.

Comments from Steve Curwood at Fleetwood:

“ We have been waiting for seven months for something to happen to save historical cultural institutions that our clubs are," he said.

"[Dowden] has got to help football clubs who are running out of steam. He needs to speak to HM Treasury and ensure our clubs are supported.

"Why should institutions like the Royal Ballet, the Opera House and the Globe Theatre, receive funding and bail-outs when we are not?"

I agree with him completely. I’d like to see the Government and PL get together to bail out EFL Clubs If the PL put in £50m for L1 and L2, some of which I understand is in loans, the government should put in another £50m. Theatres, g­alleries and other arts venues are businesses too, so why do they get government money and football doesn’t? I also agree that local/community football clubs are cultural institutions and you could also argue that that benefit supporters’ mental health. I think the government’s attitude is that football should help football, so why not the same in the arts?

so keep playing, and come up with the money in grants, not on furlough.

And more of the same from Coventry CEO Dave Boddy - similar arguments and now the Government have waded in with £300 million off sport, but none for the EFL.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55022136

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)