+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Are you enjoying your sport this year?

O/T Are you enjoying your sport this year?

I've just got off the phone to a soothsayer friend (mainly about the Cocu sacking) who added as a coda to the conversation 'sport's been a dead loss all year'. I completely disagree. OK Derby have been a disaster (and I don't watch much footy other than Derby) and there could never be another summer of cricket like 2019, but I'm having a ball sport-wise. What cricket there was was still damned good entertainment, my ditching of Lewis Hamilton support due to his politicising has actually brightened my F1 as I've focussed on the midfield teams, touring cars have been great, my NFL team the Buffalo Bills are on a roll (and the BBC highlights show is the best show on telly IMO) and the road cycling has been absorbing, the end of the Vuelta Espana was as nailbiting as anything I've seen. And there's been more (most of which I watched recorded or as highlightslate evening). How's it been for you? Has TV sport in any way been a decent sub for live?

Yes I think I've enjoyed sport this year as normal, aside from the Rams. Football, and like you I don't watch much other than Derby, and certainly not Premier league, still provided the magic for the year on that great day in July that ended Forest 1 Stoke 4 and all the other results just dropping into place.

The international cricket was OK, although not compelling and Gloucestershire made the T 20 finals day, although that's where the story ends.

The triple crown and 6 nations rugby championship were secured and Wales only just avoided the wooden spoon.

I watched 4 happy days of golf being played on my former local course in Port Royal Bermuda as the USPGA tour championship there was on Sky. Very enjoyable remembering birdies from back when I could play a bit (not a lot)

Yes I missed watching live sport but under the circumstances, not bad - the Patriots didn't win the superbowl and the Lightning won the Stanley Cup. Sadly LA won the other two major sports

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Yes I think I've enjoyed sport this year as normal, aside from the Rams. Football, and like you I don't watch much other than Derby, and certainly not Premier league, still provided the magic for the year on that great day in July that ended Forest 1 Stoke 4 and all the other results just dropping into place.

The international cricket was OK, although not compelling and Gloucestershire made the T 20 finals day, although that's where the story ends.

The triple crown and 6 nations rugby championship were secured and Wales only just avoided the wooden spoon.

I watched 4 happy days of golf being played on my former local course in Port Royal Bermuda as the USPGA tour championship there was on Sky. Very enjoyable remembering birdies from back when I could play a bit (not a lot)

Yes I missed watching live sport but under the circumstances, not bad - the Patriots didn't win the superbowl and the Lightning won the Stanley Cup. Sadly LA won the other two major sports
    I forgot the Forest incident, a true highlight

Managed to get half a cricket season in, joined a local football team, and until recently played a lot of golf. So ok except in full lockdown.

In terms of watching, I'm enjoying The Masters. Football has been a disappointment, not just Derby, but the game as a spectacle overall. Shame there was no Euros.

So up and down for me!

Loving watching the Masters. Not missing footie at all (probably due to us being crap!)!
    As an avid golfer of 20 years ago it's armchair golf for me now and the Masters is right up there as a viewing spectacular.
    Can't stand F1, boring as hell!! Much prefer two wheels in any form with or without an engine!!
    Anything involving snow and ice goes down well, rugby's a so so as is NFL.
    Keep them birdies flowing and I'm happy!!

All football at the moment reminds me of pre-season games,no atmosphere, no passion, just like a kick around at the park. Anyone winning anything this season to me wouldn't really be an achievement.

Watching spectatorless sport, IMO, takes away a lot from to as a spectacle.

I've enjoyed the cycling on TV. We get more of it shown over here than in the UK. I've watched all 3 major "Grand Tours" live. Some track cycling too. The Dutch Championships are televised live as are quite a few of the other major races like Milan-San Remo, Paris-Roubaix, Liège-Bastogne-Liège and others.

I used to like F1 a lot back in the day, lost interest for a few years but my eldest is a huge fan and he has rekindled my interest. We tend to spend our F1 chats discussing the top 6 drivers for maybe 10% of the time and the rest discussing which of the also rans might make the step up, which ones won't be in F1 next season and how on earth Grosjean got back into F1......

I watch all Rams games, courtesy of RamsTV. Probably cathc about half the LOTD programmes. Watch selected PL games and I've been quite good with my selections this season so far having had Liverpool v DYS, Villa v 'Pool and Man U v Spurs among the ones I've watched. For whatever reason, there have been a lot of goals scored and a lot more disallowed by VAR. The FA/PL have taken a good idea and ruined it. 5 minutes to decide Bambi had an armpit hair offside is ridiculous.

I enjoy the golf. I don't play anymore due to a shoulder and arm injury received in 2014 requiring 2 lots of surgery. I have a max of 90 degrees movement and it's still painful on a daily basis. The orthopedic surgeon says that will never change. 3 or 4 years after the accident I hit the driving range for the first time aft it happened. A dozen balls into the bucket I gave the remainder of the balls to the guy in the next bay. The pain was excruciating. The end of my golfing exploits. I was never a good player. Only ever hit par over a course once. Next day, same course, I hit 20 odd over par.

Enjoy the Rugby too.

Today? F1 this afternoon. Holland v Bosnia-Herzegovina at tea time and Belgium v England this evening.

Overall I've enjoyed 2020 Sports on the TV. You may well have noticed a lack of US sport in this post. That would be because I don't watch NFL, NHL, MLB and MLS.......

For me I went off F1 when it became processional in the Schumacher era. Now its "let's all line up and watch 44 win" its dull again. But if it rains and nothing better to do...

NASCAR and Indy series more interesting to me but nor really into machinery being propelled round tracks be they cars motorbikes cycles horses etc

Sorry to hear about your shoulder and arm injuries MA, in my case it was my back. Did a disc which laid me up for three months, afterwards could play about 3 holes before the pain was unbearable. Refused surgery and now watch the golf on sky of which there's plenty!
    Can still play a bit of snooker/billiards which provides some kind of ball in hole fix!! (Awaits some GP retort!)

I did a shoulder and hip to curtail my golf exploits - only wish I'd been as bad a player as MA and managed just one round of level par golf. Best I ever did was 10 over ( but was level after 7)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)