+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln and Luton

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    I am sure you have noticed that Cambridge are going strong in div 4. The change from hopeless strugglers to championship chasers is down to one man with one reserve team appearence behind him. He got injured in that and never played again.

The change has been root and branch. Somehow div 4 trundlers are performing, and with effort. He has signed players who actually do what it says on the side of the tin. He knows a player when he sees one, then he gets the best out of them. The way he talks about the team is like he loves all of them, then discusses openly why he drops or picks players, all of it makes sense.

The team plays intending to win, even when ahead, they go for more. If you listen to him talk, its obvious he has a brain the size of Thetford forest.

You can have a plan, several, but it is the implementation of it. There is a factor x in success, a rare ingredient. Bonner when stand in manager, won games without the power of being manager, there is a common sense, a magic to some people. He knows what hes doing, even though he is 35.

Cambridge have had many such magicians, Ron Atkinson, John Docherty, John Beck, Bill Leivers, all are winners. As im sure you have. The question is, how do you get such talent as a manager of your team? It seems to be serendipitous. Maybe there is such a person as manager of Arnold or Belper, but you wont know it.

Ron Atkinson was manager of Kettering, and used to visit the Abbey to watch games, and sit on his own in the social club, he chose United. Beck was a player, made manager, and we almost made the premier league. Like Bonner he won from the off, no fallow period or training needed. Systems or plans dont get you up, the people who implement plans do.
    You have always told us that we need to be patient and stick with Ardley.

Are you now suggesting we should get rid?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    ****ing hell if Ardley isn't getting people to be first to the ball and stop the crosses before they come in then he isn't fit to be manager, anybody knows the basics of football.
    We all know the basics of football CF, it's anything above that level that most of us struggle with. That's the point many Monday Morning Managers seem to forget.

We can all pretend we know better, play pretend football manager that's what fans do and rightly so. But we can't forget that we are pretty much all unqualified , never played at a high level, been trained by top level coaches, and certainly never managed anything more than Pegasus Colts U12s in the old YEL or maybe taken Notts to European glory on a past edition of Championship/Football Manager computer game.

It's all relative as they say

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    I agree with you to a degree. I really don't think football is a complicated game. Stop crosses, intercept the ball and get it forward as quickly as you can. Pressure their defence to make them make mistakes and take as many shots as you can.

It's when you have a manager who tries to build slowly and play out from the back in the Conference where you have a problem. The players aren't good enough to do it and all it does it put your team under pressure. We have been very lucky that the standard of opposition is too poor to fully exploit us.

What worries me is that this is how the Danes want us to play. Our transfer policy is built around it.
    Very good post KC.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    We all know the basics of football CF, it's anything above that level that most of us struggle with. That's the point many Monday Morning Managers seem to forget.

We can all pretend we know better, play pretend football manager that's what fans do and rightly so. But we can't forget that we are pretty much all unqualified , never played at a high level, been trained by top level coaches, and certainly never managed anything more than Pegasus Colts U12s in the old YEL or maybe taken Notts to European glory on a past edition of Championship/Football Manager computer game.

So we're both agreed that with his level of experience as a player and manager we should be doing a hell of alot better?

Not one person has said they know more about managing than Ardley or are Monday morning managers, what people are saying are there are better managers out there who would do alot more with our budget. I also think that people are very dismissive of fans opinions when infact they don't know what level they might have got to, what fa/uefa coaching badges they might have. Also as fans we probably watch just as much if not more football than managers as they might only concentrate on their teams so we're not idiots when it comes to the game plus the amount of coverage you can get from ex managers, current managers and players online or on TV means if you've got half a brain you can learn alot. For example the analysis of how Liverpool play under Klopp is well documented or pep at Man City or even Woy at Palace.

To say we know nothing compared to Ardley might be right in alot of cases which if true then shouldn't he be doing alot better? Football isn't as complicated at our level as he's having you believe.

He should be doing a lot better this season, we surely all agree that. I'm sure he and the players do to. The league table after all compares him to other qualified experienced football managers.

Now if any of us lot were in charge and made all the big decisions how would we do this season? I'm talking the most qualified experienced among us?

Just needs bearing in mind that we all have the benefit of hindsight, we all naturally assume that if we disagreed with the managers team selection, approach substitutions etc the result would automatically been different. That's just crazy talk but often forgotten.

You do raise a good point, anyone on here a qualified coach? If so to what level on the FA/UEFA scale? Would be really interesting to know what expertise we have hidden away amongst all the uneducated chaff.

I don't know how the most experienced amongst us would do, I wonder who would get the job! I guess it would depend on the squads they built and the style they played. I do think KC made a good point when he said that Lincoln and Luton used players good at their level, not ones from above or abroad who are an unknown quantity or past it. Harrogate also used that system last season, they we're much better than us without half the so called named players that we had.

We don't create hardly anything, we can't defend for 90 mins without someone messing up. There's no energy in midfield and if Roberts doesn't play or play well, creatively we're bereft of ideas. I can't see how other managers we could attract would do much worse.

Yeah I too liked KCs refreshing post. I agree with a lot of that bar the last sentence.

If you are a Notts County fan of more than 10 years then the one thing we do know is we can replace a struggling manager with a worse one. History shows us that

I can't believe you actually typed that CF, has the past 20 years taught us nothing?!

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post

Plenty on here could see that something wasn't right when we were getting outplayed against inferior opposition in friendlies, when pretty much the whole division were thrashing Dover, when they said our style of play wasn't suitable.

You shouted them all down at the time, but now you've come round to their point of view. As you say it's all relative. Maybe they just know more about football than you?

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Both of these clubs were in our position not so long ago and both used a similar model to get out of it.

They signed the best young players from the leagues they were in at the time. They didn't waste money on old journeymen at the ends of their careers. Or players who had played in the Championship but were in a downward spiral. They went for proven talent at their level.

They also used tactics that worked for the league they were in. They didn't try to play beyond their means. They were direct, quick and physical. They realised that football at this level really doesn't need to be that complicated.

It seems to me that once again we have got our recruitment very wrong. But we also have a management duo who are incapable of implementing a winning formula.

Lincoln in particular have their model spot on. I am so jealous of how they are being run. They are massively over achieving. Why does that not happen at Notts? We clearly have the resources.
    This is a really good post. There are other long established ex league clubs that also have found themselves at this level but then have kicked on. Bristol Rovers, Tranmere, Shrewsbury, Leyton Orient. It’s not impossible for a club to be rebooted.

We’ve probably got the squad with the most football league experience in it out of all the other teams. That experience means nothing if it does not produce winning football.

I’m not against a passing and possession based philosophy. When executed properly it is the best style of football possible. Anyone who watched the first half against Barnet will have seen what can be achieved. They will have seen what is possible from this group of players.

The problem is we can’t have this style and for it to only work for 45 min out of a total of 630 min played over entire seven games so far. Although in fairness we have won three games out of it. That’s the challenge for the manager, coaches and players. To execute and perform to the levels such that it does yield good performances and results.

We can play our own game at this level but we’ve got to be really good at it and do it on a regular basis. If we can’t then what other options do we have?

There will always be league clubs being relegated to this league getting parachute payments, young clubs on the up or heavily funded clubs and surprise packages.

What we must avoid going forward is becoming the next Wrexham and end up being cemented in this graveyard for ex league clubs for some years.

Some Notts fans I know are calling for the Cowley brothers to be installed to get us into the EFL and then D1.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast