+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln and Luton

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    It frustrates me that the local press don't take Ardley to task on this. Why is a 39 year old playing every minute??

Why has Ardley not been asked why he is persisting with playing out from the back? Or why we don't create chances?

There is such a 'matey' feel between the club and media, epitomised by both Slater and Curtis doing extra curricular commentary on the club's live streams during the friendlies. It's been this way for years, but it is really sychophantic recently. This helps to create a safe environment for Ardley where he can't be touched by criticism... particularly when angry crowds aren't allowed in. Who is holding him to account?
    Ardley does think we are creating chances and that we are playing well. He must be the only one who thinks so..

If the Cowleys are seen as attainable then how about Paul Cook? Good track record, always turns out motivated teams, and is not afraid to stand up to Doyle - this happened while he was managing Doyle at Portsmouth:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.por...-3002842%3famp

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Ardley does think we are creating chances and that we are playing well. He must be the only one who thinks so..
    That's what I think, in his interviews he talks like we've done well. We really haven't.

He "didn't think it was great but better than Aldershot". So Aldershot was unacceptable and very poor, last night was poor/average but one big boot into the stands from a clean sheet and an away win.

You can pick the bones out of any managers post match interviews and highlight certain things said. Always gonna happen when you haven't won and you are talking for 3-5mins. Doesn't matter what approach the manager takes you can spin it anyway you like to have a go.

Seen it with virtually every manager we've had at the Lane during my lifetime they all take differing approaches that can be hammered if the fans are p!ssed off

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I remember when we played Lincoln and a lot of fans were calling them blind,nasty individuals always moaning at the ref and lino etc.
    Mind you I would love to see them here.
    They are nasty - just like the teams they put out! And that's exactly what I want Notts to be: nasty, horrible to play against, the sort of team opposition fans and clubs dread playing. I'm sick and tired of us being a soft touch. We're so easy to play against it's embarrassing.

And to echo what others have said, we need to move away from signing league-experienced journeymen on their last contacts, like Ben Turner. He basically cost us the playoff final, and he cost us all three points last night. He's one of those ones who looks great 'on paper' - exactly the sort of player Notts always sign, while other clubs have players we've never heard of who are clearly better, fitter, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    He "didn't think it was great but better than Aldershot". So Aldershot was unacceptable and very poor, last night was poor/average but one big boot into the stands from a clean sheet and an away win.

You can pick the bones out of any managers post match interviews and highlight certain things said. Always gonna happen when you haven't won and you are talking for 3-5mins. Doesn't matter what approach the manager takes you can spin it anyway you like to have a go.

Seen it with virtually every manager we've had at the Lane during my lifetime they all take differing approaches that can be hammered if the fans are p!ssed off
    Interviews are basically meaningless, it's an obligatory thing and mostly tells us next to nothing. The only thing that matters is points on the board, and if we want promotion and given the opponents we have faced, I think we should have more.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    They are nasty - just like the teams they put out! And that's exactly what I want Notts to be: nasty, horrible to play against, the sort of team opposition fans and clubs dread playing. I'm sick and tired of us being a soft touch. We're so easy to play against it's embarrassing.

And to echo what others have said, we need to move away from signing league-experienced journeymen on their last contacts, like Ben Turner. He basically cost us the playoff final, and he cost us all three points last night. He's one of those ones who looks great 'on paper' - exactly the sort of player Notts always sign, while other clubs have players we've never heard of who are clearly better, fitter, and hungrier.
    To be fair to Turner he has all the faults you mention, and was absolutely awful in the play off final, but as long as he isn't required to chase a fast striker round a big pitch (Hello Harrogate at Wembley) he is strong committed and wins his headers, which earned him a lot of plaudits last year, and is ***** against teams who subject you to an aerial barrage.

Completely agree with your first paragraph though!

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    To be fair to Turner he has all the faults you mention, and was absolutely awful in the play off final, but as long as he isn't required to chase a fast striker round a big pitch (Hello Harrogate at Wembley) he is strong committed and wins his headers, which earned him a lot of plaudits last year, and is ***** against teams who subject you to an aerial barrage.
    There were people here calling for Turner’s return after the set-piece goals conceded against Maidenhead. You do know what he’s going to give you, though: ballast. He was fine last night until he made a stupid split-second decision to let the ball goes past him in the dying moments. Such is football.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    I am sure you have noticed that Cambridge are going strong in div 4. The change from hopeless strugglers to championship chasers is down to one man with one reserve team appearence behind him. He got injured in that and never played again.

The change has been root and branch. Somehow div 4 trundlers are performing, and with effort. He has signed players who actually do what it says on the side of the tin. He knows a player when he sees one, then he gets the best out of them. The way he talks about the team is like he loves all of them, then discusses openly why he drops or picks players, all of it makes sense.

The team plays intending to win, even when ahead, they go for more. If you listen to him talk, its obvious he has a brain the size of Thetford forest.

You can have a plan, several, but it is the implementation of it. There is a factor x in success, a rare ingredient. Bonner when stand in manager, won games without the power of being manager, there is a common sense, a magic to some people. He knows what hes doing, even though he is 35.

Cambridge have had many such magicians, Ron Atkinson, John Docherty, John Beck, Bill Leivers, all are winners. As im sure you have. The question is, how do you get such talent as a manager of your team? It seems to be serendipitous. Maybe there is such a person as manager of Arnold or Belper, but you wont know it.

Ron Atkinson was manager of Kettering, and used to visit the Abbey to watch games, and sit on his own in the social club, he chose United. Beck was a player, made manager, and we almost made the premier league. Like Bonner he won from the off, no fallow period or training needed. Systems or plans dont get you up, the people who implement plans do.
    Only thing you've ever said which isn't blatant trolling and good sense. Although Big Sam went 23 games without a win at Notts before we won the league the next season so a bit of time is needed as well.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast