+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Lincoln and Luton

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Wrong game. The one I'm talking about was when MKD played at the National Hockey Stadium, which apart from when Rotherham played at the Don Valley Stadium was the worst ground I'd ever been to. There was a howling gale and the layout of the ground meant it gusted in completely random directions. Several goal kicks from both keepers went straight out of play on both sides of the pitch. Every decision the ref made favoured them. If they hacked us down the ref waved play on, if we hacked them down he waved a red card. It's one of only two occasions I've left the ground wondering if the ref's decisions had been influenced by a brown envelope slipped under his dressing room door.
    Ah right, yes. I wasn't sure because I could definitely remember watching Notts going 3-0 down to MK Dons at Stadium MK under Thompson's management, but I couldn't remember us getting the two goals back!

I think this was the game I recall seeing and it didn't have many redeeming features: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot..._3/6974908.stm

The National Hockey Stadium was just bizarre, but then so was watching football at the Withdean Stadium in Brighton!
    Last edited by jackal2; 19-11-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Ah right, yes. I wasn't sure because I could definitely remember watching Notts going 3-0 down to MK Dons at Stadium MK under Thompson's management, but I couldn't remember us getting the two goals back!

I think this was the game I recall seeing and it didn't have many redeeming features: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot..._3/6974908.stm
    I didn't go to that one, but the team that night shows exactly the squad Steve Thompson had at his disposal:

Notts County: Pilkington, Canoville, McCann (Somner 80), Tann, Hunt, Mayo, Parkinson (Weir-Daley 59), Butcher, Smith, Dudfield (Sam 84), Lee.
    Subs Not Used: Silk, MacKenzie.

I didn't go to that one, but the team that night shows exactly the squad Steve Thompson had at his disposal:

Notts County: Pilkington, Canoville, McCann (Somner 80), Tann, Hunt, Mayo, Parkinson (Weir-Daley 59), Butcher, Smith, Dudfield (Sam 84), Lee.
    Subs Not Used: Silk, MacKenzie.
    My lord look at the depth of talent! Did any of those players go on to achieve anything at all once they left Notts County? Obviously 1 or 2 old ones like Pilkington and Lee and great respect to the late Butcher a good source of goals for some time.

Tbf Mackenzie went onto Countdown and performed well

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Tbf Mackenzie went onto Countdown and performed well
    Bit of a conundrum that.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaspie View Post
    Bit of a conundrum that.
    9 letter word including a K and a Z. Not bad!

We didn't improve, because he wasn't a particularly good manager. This isn't meant to be a "Thommo was great" post, just to say that he had the ability to get the best from his squad. It's something Ardley clearly lacks.
    So much said in so few words. With Thommo we got what we got. He managed somehow to make the total sum greater than the individual parts with the players he had at his disposal.

Let's not forget Thommos 06/07 squad went and beat Crystal Palace 2-1, Middlesbrough 1-0 away and beat Southampton 2-0 at home in the league cup. Middlesborough were in the premier league and Palace and Southampton were in the championship.

After finishing 21st in the 2005/06 season in League Two which was our lowest ever finish, we improved our league position under Thommo and finished comfortably in mid table 13th place in League Two the following season. That's actually a good achievement for the squad we had. Big kick of the ball to Jason Lee who either scored or got a yellow card.

The irony is now we are facing teams a lot like ours was back then. Squads with players in it with limited ability but heart and endeavor. Todays squad is vastly superior in terms of it's technical ability to actually play football compared to other squads we have had and face at this level. That is the most frustrating part, because for the past few games performances and points have been found wanting.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 20-11-2020 at 11:35 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678