+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln and Luton

Lincoln and Luton

Both of these clubs were in our position not so long ago and both used a similar model to get out of it.

They signed the best young players from the leagues they were in at the time. They didn't waste money on old journeymen at the ends of their careers. Or players who had played in the Championship but were in a downward spiral. They went for proven talent at their level.

They also used tactics that worked for the league they were in. They didn't try to play beyond their means. They were direct, quick and physical. They realised that football at this level really doesn't need to be that complicated.

It seems to me that once again we have got our recruitment very wrong. But we also have a management duo who are incapable of implementing a winning formula.

Lincoln in particular have their model spot on. I am so jealous of how they are being run. They are massively over achieving. Why does that not happen at Notts? We clearly have the resources.

Said the same thing numerous times. We need bread n butter players for this league. A couple ex league players & the rest from non league that have some fire in the belly. Get the spine of the team right & the rest will fit in. We need a Phil Turner in midfield, a Yates at the back, & Regis upfront & pace, which we have but don't use

I am sure you have noticed that Cambridge are going strong in div 4. The change from hopeless strugglers to championship chasers is down to one man with one reserve team appearence behind him. He got injured in that and never played again.

The change has been root and branch. Somehow div 4 trundlers are performing, and with effort. He has signed players who actually do what it says on the side of the tin. He knows a player when he sees one, then he gets the best out of them. The way he talks about the team is like he loves all of them, then discusses openly why he drops or picks players, all of it makes sense.

The team plays intending to win, even when ahead, they go for more. If you listen to him talk, its obvious he has a brain the size of Thetford forest.

You can have a plan, several, but it is the implementation of it. There is a factor x in success, a rare ingredient. Bonner when stand in manager, won games without the power of being manager, there is a common sense, a magic to some people. He knows what hes doing, even though he is 35.

Cambridge have had many such magicians, Ron Atkinson, John Docherty, John Beck, Bill Leivers, all are winners. As im sure you have. The question is, how do you get such talent as a manager of your team? It seems to be serendipitous. Maybe there is such a person as manager of Arnold or Belper, but you wont know it.

Ron Atkinson was manager of Kettering, and used to visit the Abbey to watch games, and sit on his own in the social club, he chose United. Beck was a player, made manager, and we almost made the premier league. Like Bonner he won from the off, no fallow period or training needed. Systems or plans dont get you up, the people who implement plans do.

... that's spot on, Psaw. All the armchair managers who talk about systems make me laugh. It has always been about ...'first to the ball; stop the cross' ...

Nearly everyone on here says we are over complicating things. Be strong, quick, direct and aggressive with the right manager and team will get you promoted. It's only Ardley over complicating things Hoss with his tikka takka, not people on here.

****ing hell if Ardley isn't getting people to be first to the ball and stop the crosses before they come in then he isn't fit to be manager, anybody knows the basics of football.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... that's spot on, Psaw. All the armchair managers who talk about systems make me laugh. It has always been about ...'first to the ball; stop the cross' ...
    I agree with you to a degree. I really don't think football is a complicated game. Stop crosses, intercept the ball and get it forward as quickly as you can. Pressure their defence to make them make mistakes and take as many shots as you can.

It's when you have a manager who tries to build slowly and play out from the back in the Conference where you have a problem. The players aren't good enough to do it and all it does it put your team under pressure. We have been very lucky that the standard of opposition is too poor to fully exploit us.

What worries me is that this is how the Danes want us to play. Our transfer policy is built around it.

There’s a lot of good sense being posted on this thread, but I think we also need to direct some of our recruitment towards the two divisions immediately below the National League. One of our best signings of recent years, Roberts has come from there and I’m sure there’ll be others like him, who could do the job for us if we signed them. I wonder to what extent we’re doing scouting at that level. It’s all very well relying on statistics, which will provide useful information to a certain extent, but do they tell you about a player’s level of commitment?

As far as the tactics go, tikka takka can look very pretty, and it’s worked very well for the likes of Barcelona and Manchester City, but in the National League it’s a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    There’s a lot of good sense being posted on this thread, but I think we also need to direct some of our recruitment towards the two divisions immediately below the National League. One of our best signings of recent years, Roberts has come from there and I’m sure there’ll be others like him, who could do the job for us if we signed them. I wonder to what extent we’re doing scouting at that level. It’s all very well relying on statistics, which will provide useful information to a certain extent, but do they tell you about a player’s level of commitment?

As far as the tactics go, tikka takka can look very pretty, and it’s worked very well for the likes of Barcelona and Manchester City, but in the National League it’s a waste of time.
    Barca & Citeh have both been sussed, thats why they are starting to struggle & not have everything their own way

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Barca & Citeh have both been sussed, thats why they are starting to struggle & not have everything their own way
    It's when your main tactic revolves around a man who will be 40 in the Summer that you realise you may have a problem.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast