+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnley 1960 heroes dementia

Burnley 1960 heroes dementia

Come on FA get your finger out and help those who made you what you are!

The plight of Burnley's 1960 heroes proves dementia IS a football disease... Jimmy Robson is one of SEVEN title-winning stars to be affected by the illness as he recalls flicking on headers because 'it needed to be done.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...l-disease.html
    Last edited by oldcolner; 18-11-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Come on FA get your finger out and help those who made you what you are!
    Should we not try to do something about this at club level. Does BFC in the Community not help look after retired players?
    Can BT inquire?

Should we put a petition to parliament (59?) demanding “Government must recognise brain injury in footballers as an industrial disease and urgently discuss with the FA how to establish an immediate support system and compensation for former players and their careers.”

If so can BT put this on all clarets mad sites?

I would have thought the PFA would have a handle on this following the Jeff Astle campaign?

I'll research it further.

Very sad indeed and the article is good because, sadly, Jimmy has his good days but they are getting fewer.
    Shortly before last season groubd to a halt, I was in the Foundation Lounge at the Turf and Jimmy was in there with a lot of his family. I had not seen him for a couple of years and was not aware of his problems, however, Dany put me in the picture. Jimmy and I had a little chat, mainly about John Angus who roomed together with Jimmy when they first went to the Turf, and he had some lovely memories but tired very quickly.

I alway think back to the balls in use in the 1950s and early 1960s and can remember just what it was like to head them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I would have thought the PFA would have a handle on this following the Jeff Astle campaign?

I'll research it further.
    Thanks BT

PFA issued this 30 mins ago.

Dementia in football: PFA to create taskforce to examine issue of brain injury diseases

More procrastination I fear.

Getting it classified as an industrial disease by Government at least opens up care funding, so far only one coroner has blamed heading the ball for death - that was Alan Jarvis last month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/

Nobby Stiles: Family says football 'must address scandal of dementia' affecting former players and outlines the problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54976910

At least the ball is rolling so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Very sad indeed and the article is good because, sadly, Jimmy has his good days but they are getting fewer.
    Shortly before last season groubd to a halt, I was in the Foundation Lounge at the Turf and Jimmy was in there with a lot of his family. I had not seen him for a couple of years and was not aware of his problems, however, Dany put me in the picture. Jimmy and I had a little chat, mainly about John Angus who roomed together with Jimmy when they first went to the Turf, and he had some lovely memories but tired very quickly.

I alway think back to the balls in use in the 1950s and early 1960s and can remember just what it was like to head them.
    Great to know you are in contact with so many legends and can share memories. Sad all Dany got from the FA was a leaflet. They will be scared of opening up flood gates to litigation as happened with head injury in USA football. The more have died through their procrastination the less any payout.

It isn’t just Alzheimer’s either other debilitation conditions like Parkinson’s also have a higher incidence.

Does the club do anything for Jimmy and his family- charity begins at home.

Saw Geoff Hurst telling how they spent 30 mins heading a ball on string in practice on the news today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    At least the ball is rolling so to speak.
    Very slowly I fear, they have known about this for at least 2 years from the Glasgow study, if they really looked after members that was enough to do something immediately, not look for more research. They need a kicking and a heading

While there is obviously a serious problem that has to be addressed, it's not quite as straightforward as it might appear. I watched virtually every game Jimmy Mac played on Turf Moor from 1958 onwards, and in numerous away games as well, I never saw him head a football, Adam Blacklaw was a goalkeeper, Brian Pilkington was tiny, I don't recall Pilky ever heading the ball either. I'm not saying they didn't, but I would imagine every young man in the country who played non league and amateur football would have headed a football as often as Adam, Jimmy Mac and Pilky. Are most of them suffering from dementia as well ?
    The road this is going down will lead to an end to heading the ball, fair enough, but it will be a different game from then on, footy as we know it will be finished, and old men and women will still get dementia.

Sports Mail seems to have picked up the cudgels.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-dementia.html

Sportsmail columnist Chris Sutton is at the forefront of our campaign, having courageously spoken about how his father Mike, also a former footballer, is dying of dementia.

Our plan has been developed with the assistance of Sutton and leading neuropathologist Dr Willie Stewart. Dr Stewart’s FIELD study identified the increased risk of footballers suffering brain disease and his research is ongoing.

There were concerns that the PFA and FA were to stop funding the project in March of next year.

But in a victory for Sportsmail’s campaign on Monday night, just hours after being contacted for comment the PFA announced they would continue to meet Stewart’s costs.

Name:  8A9C6CA6-AC37-4A01-85D2-4ACD2A6775CD.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  35.1 KB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)