+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which "Turf Moor" moment out of them all would you re-live if you could ?

Question Which "Turf Moor" moment out of them all would you re-live if you could ?

Nicked this one from sinkov, because it will make such a cracking thread.

Be decent guys, and let sinkov go first?

Bloody hell, I'd have to give that some thought, I go back to the 1950s. Strangely I can remember some away games better, and some Turf Moor disasters stick in my mind more as well. Somebody else start it off please.

The Orient game. Nothing has ever matched the emotion, the drama and the sheer bloody relief after the final whistle went.

Basil Dearing told me a few years afterwards that if we had lost, Burnley Football Club would have ceased to exist.

No playing in the lower leagues, the end, finish, kaput. Phew!

Dec 13th 1958 Burnley 3 Spurs 1
    Memorable for me as it was the only game my mum attended with my dad and I.
    Pointer Robson and Connelly scored in an exciting end to end game.
    Never went again till I took her in her eighties in the nineties to see us lose to Millwall 0-1

Running it close was seeing us beat Favourites Reims in the 1960 European Cup the first time I had attended direct from school and in school uniform and our first European game ever. McIlroy and Robson scored in a 2-0 win

My first game was August 1958 v Man City. We went ahead 3-0 from memory, but lost 4-3. Couldn’t believe the beautiful colour of the city strip. In those days I stood on a stool, you took a flask of soup and they took bets on who would score first.
    Last edited by oldcolner; 19-11-2020 at 06:16 PM.

anytime with this lot...

we were all there...grandad,dad,brother,uncle(before he left for another land) and more... Rain or shine, made for good memories and good times had - together.

Some mega players on there Norder.

My favourite out of that lot had to be Frank Casper, OMG what a player he was.

I have to go back to November 59, at home to Forest, we were 5-0 up at half-time and won 8-0, I was mesmerised, I'd never seen football remotely like it before, I don't think Forest had either, it was one of those games where it all just came together. If I could go back in time and watch just one game again, that would be it.

My favourite Turfy Moor moment eh, oohhh thats a difficult one. Id have to say its whenever my Burnsley Tykes won there.
    And yes I know it doesn't happen much anymore these days does it lol.

As I posted on the other thread (I've just cut and pasted it - I'm buggered if I'm going to type it out again)

For raw emotion it has to be the final whistle of the Orient game. The weeks leading up to it were akin to a loved one fighting for their life.
    The previous game (Crewe away) was certainly the lowest I have ever felt, in football terms.

All the week before the game I was certain we were gonners. But on the morning of the match I felt a strange feeling of confidence. When I got to the ground and saw the size of the crowd, the intense passion of the supporters I felt part of something that was very special.
    The last 25 minutes were unbearable. When the final whistle went the emotions were indescribable. Disbelief, joy, relief, love for my club and pride.
    But NEVER again, please!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Some mega players on there Norder.

My favourite out of that lot had to be Frank Casper, OMG what a player he was.

missed the best of him...or at least, it'd be vague in my then...very young memory - looks like he still had two good knees in that picture.

here's another family favourite I used to hear regular talk of.....and a favourite "year" for all.

front row, second left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)