+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Theres a geme this weekend - Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Possibly in that match but I tend to find (aside from the moaning that goes on from individuals during a match) the fans as a whole at Tannadice are very supportive.
    the majority are but by f uck it can turn quickly as seen many many times in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by jjaflup22 View Post
    The reason MM has gone for this approach is that he has had no option with the squad that he has inherited. No time or probably money either to do much in the summer with all the Hearts carry on. The football may be garbage at the moment but I think he's worked a miracle with that squad to have us sitting where we are.
    100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    When we were in free fall and the fat lady was warming her vocals at Mixu we would have taken turgid displays if it meant staying up.
    I agree we need to improve and would hope Mellon doesn't need any fans in the stadium to point that out. I do stand by my point that the way this would have been pointed out may well have made Mellons job harder.
    Whilst at times he may be too positive for some, his approach has seen the team gather points in a season where its absolutely crucial to do so.

However I totally agree with everyone who says it is crucial the way we are gathering them has to be in the manner of a team performance we all grew up watching and have come to expect.

Survival = confidence + money + a we are back reputation, which should help recruit players of the standard we would expect.

If we are 5th playing pish then god help the rest of the league when we get the better players needed who are brave and good enough to play the Utd way.

Cup still more than half full here
    Good post.

there's been plenty of debate on the performances v results stuff. It is another game where we haven't been on the front foot or dominated with service and chances to the front men very limited.

but at the end of the day, we won without even being great. 5th place and a big gap between us and the bottom, you can't help but be happy with that.

Benji- can't remember him having to make a save?
    Smith- no coincidence our form has started to pick up again once hes back in the team. very reliable.
    Connolly- few stupid passes/touches but in general he was decent.
    Edwards- has improved a lot after some poor first couple of performances. pretty solid.
    Reynolds- very reliable. no nonsense. still cant distribute the ball to united players but defensively good.
    Sporle- thought he was putting in a good shift and was surprised he got hooked
    Fuchs- some good moments, still too early to say really.
    Butcher- that game suited him. battled away
    Clark- scores the goals but i felt he wasnt great yesterday. never seems to stick much with him.
    Mcnulty- put in a power of work. hardly any service.
    McMullan- worked hard but couldnt get going.

Shankland- few good touches but still looks very frustrated by lack of service.
    Robson- didnt do much apart from give away a pen that was never a pen.
    Harkes- ran about.
    Bolton- few dangerous runs without coming to anything.

Am i happy with the win? defintely
    Do i feel we are playing well? no

It just annoys me that MM seems to not even want us to attack. of course be defensively sound but we were playing teams below us who are on poor form and not once did we seem to put them under great pressure! until they scored we looked happy with a 0-0. we have players to hurt teams but he doesnt seem to use them effectively.

On to the next one i suppose

I think what some posters are getting at is did we really need 3 centre backs at home against a team who are conceding goals for/like the FUN?,pardon the pun. :

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    I expect next week we wont be bullied by Livingston in the way were last time.

As we don't play them next week

Agree though, hopefully we go out and prove a point against them in a fortnight, then take pts off Sevco the week after

Delighted to get 3 points yesterday.
    I think there's very little between the bottom 8 teams in terms of ability and effort, and therefore, each team can beat one another. If we think we are a poor team, then so are the other 8 teams; so, after 15 games, I'm delighted we're above St Johnstone, and 5 points ahead of Ross Co, and LIvingston.
    I agree we've got room for loads of improvement, but I think Micky Mellon has done a good job to get us where we are at the moment. We can progress, as long as we get through this first difficult season, - remember, the week the league started, we were still at court/tribunal, not knowing for certain what league we woild be in.

Couple of observations from Saturday

McNulty's exactly the sort of very mobile pest defenders hate playing against and improving with the added minutes he's getting. His defence splitting pass that led to the first goal was what Harkes has been trying to do for weeks but not achieving.

After about the sixty minute mark we slowed it down, stopped punting it forward, moved their defence around and we looked really excellent in that spell. Hopefully a sign of what's to come.

Jeando - think MM took him off in case he got sent off for a second yellow on his full debut. When he adjusts to the Scottish game I think he'll be really good for us. And when Harkes got on I think he realised just that.

A real positive was coming back from a goal down, the main negative was 5 at the back in a game like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Couple of observations from Saturday

McNulty's exactly the sort of very mobile pest defenders hate playing against and improving with the added minutes he's getting. His defence splitting pass that led to the first goal was what Harkes has been trying to do for weeks but not achieving.

After about the sixty minute mark we slowed it down, stopped punting it forward, moved their defence around and we looked really excellent in that spell. Hopefully a sign of what's to come.

Jeando - think MM took him off in case he got sent off for a second yellow on his full debut. When he adjusts to the Scottish game I think he'll be really good for us. And when Harkes got on I think he realised just that.

A real positive was coming back from a goal down, the main negative was 5 at the back in a game like that.

Got to agree with the 5 at the back point. Not at home against the team at the bottom of the league. It could even send out signals to the opposition that may make them more attack minded knowing they might have more space playing out from the back and in midfield.

As folk have already said, as soon as we went to 4 at the back we looked more comfortable and, dare I say it? a wee bit more dangerous.

I don't mind us shutting up shop against the so-called big guns especially away matches , but at home against our closest (relegation seemingly) rivals I want to see us go for the throat early doors, let them know they are in a real battle from the first minute.

I don't want teams enjoying coming to Tannadice, I want them to hate it, but at this moment in time, I don't see much fear in opponents.

Still..... happy with the points gained already, well above my expectations, still like a wee grumble tho

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)