+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT Fairytale of New York

[QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39626297][QUOTE=ramAnag;39626215]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Adi has it right it’s a shock awful song
    I think he’s got it totally wrong, the hurt feelings of the over sensitive minority amplified by a media looking to justify their existence.
    I meant his explanation about the ‘censorship’ being on Radio 1 only for the reasons given, rather than a ‘blanket BBC ban’ which was initially suggested with a different and seemingly incorrect emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    It may be a media title for that changed generation for sure, but the existence of the expression means precisely that people clearly do realise attitudes and norms are changing. if they werent changing, then there would be no need for the (potentially disparaging) expression for the generation
    No its existence owes more to lousy opinionated journo's and twitter ****s using it to denigrate people who have a different point of view that doesn't fit in with theirs. Again its a broad brush label used by lazy and ignorant people.

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39626319][QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39626297]
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

I meant his explanation about the ‘censorship’ being on Radio 1 only for the reasons given, rather than a ‘blanket BBC ban’ which was initially suggested with a different and seemingly incorrect emphasis.
    Of course its reported that way, as indeed was the non existent "ban" or Rule Britannia not being sung - its a half true report aimed squarely at having a go at the BBC, you know that leftie organisation which even the very left wing of the Labour party doesn't like!

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39626319][QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39626297]
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Fair comment but who are they trying to appease/not offend? I listen to R1 and R2, so does Mrs F, so does our next door neighbour blah blah, they are trying to keep a noisy minority happy and either pissing off or becoming the number 1 object of fun of many more.

[QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39626522][QUOTE=ramAnag;39626319]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Fair comment but who are they trying to appease/not offend? I listen to R1 and R2, so does Mrs F, so does our next door neighbour blah blah, they are trying to keep a noisy minority happy and either pissing off or becoming the number 1 object of fun of many more.
    You "listen" to radio 1? mm your obviously down with the kids!

I don't think they are trying to keep anyone happy, more avoiding playing a song with terms that nowadays are not used by a younger generation. For the old grumpy fogeys who generally listen to radio 2, they have left the song alone.

Not sure who they are "pissing off" or becoming an object of fun for either - most wouldn't notice, until some rabble rousing BBC bashing journo brought it up. And if as a broadcaster they are acknowledging that times have changed and for some of their audience a songs lyrics might be considered "off colour" surely thats a good thing?

One can argue about censorship and the like, but there are any number of songs from the 60's and 70's whose lyrics are perhaps not appropriate to changing attitudes and societal norms that exist today. I have a number in my collection by various artists that whilst I don't have an issue with them, if I was responsible for content on a national radio show, I wouldn't play them.

Indeed artists such as Rod Stewart have said that they have dropped some songs from their live gigs because the artist themselves considers them inappropriate for today.

Does that affect you or me negatively? No you and I can still play those songs if we wish. Much ado about **** all in my view.

Who is it being "offended". The youth of today? A generation who cuss and swear more than we did. Whose music also contains profane language and some genres with extremely violent undertones in rap and drillrap. They seem to have learned double standards quite well.......

Different generations, different music, times change. But I'm not sure that words like **** and faggot would really offend generations brought up on rap music with its shall we say seriously offensive lyrics (see link, warning: not for the faint hearted) dealing with / glorifying murder, rape, child *** etc etc

I don't know if any of these songs got radio airplay on radio 1 ( I doubt it) but the artists involved certainly have featured on it - Eminem, Nicki Minaj, Notorious BIG etc, icons of generations younger than me. And these generations would be offended by the lyrics of Fairytale.... really, just really?

https://www.complex.com/music/2013/0...st-rap-lyrics/

Great minds moment MA

MA can charge X-tra, for playing the X-rated versions in his sets. Win win

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Different generations, different music, times change. But I'm not sure that words like **** and faggot would really offend generations brought up on rap music with its shall we say seriously offensive lyrics (see link, warning: not for the faint hearted) dealing with / glorifying murder, rape, child *** etc etc

I don't know if any of these songs got radio airplay on radio 1 ( I doubt it) but the artists involved certainly have featured on it - Eminem, Nicki Minaj, Notorious BIG etc, icons of generations younger than me. And these generations would be offended by the lyrics of Fairytale.... really, just really?

https://www.complex.com/music/2013/0...st-rap-lyrics/
    Lol...very fair point...slightly surreal anyway having a ‘debate’ about censorship on a, largely adult, forum that won’t allow mention of such naughty words as ‘sl-ut’ and ‘s-ex’, not to mention ‘te-en’ and ‘pe-adophile’.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)