+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: EU and Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    I think Macron is just anti British, and using fish to drive a no deal. His EU mates don’t seem happy. They need to take him in a corner.

The fish thing is complex with English water fishing rights having being bought by the French, French trawlers registered at English ports and the fact we don’t have the resources to fish all our territory.
    Macron is in a tricky position, he is under pressure from French fisherman to retain the same access to UK waters as they have now, if he doesn't they'll cause mayhem for him, and for us in the Channel and North Sea as well to be honest, they've done it before, and they'll do it again. His dilemma is that if he doesn't get the access his fishermen are demanding written into the deal, and he blocks the deal, they get no access at all, they won't be happy, no deal will also be a disaster for Ireland and not far off it for Germany.

It always intrigues me that our media only ever discuss Brexit in the light of UK problems, it's as though we are the only ones going to have difficulties in the event of no deal and thus we simply have to compromise, which is not the case at all.

According to Gordon Rayner, political editor of the Telegraph, the EU has now demanded 10 years unlimited access to our waters. I don't really understand why we're still talking to these jokers. Just tell them quite politely the negotiations are at an end, and they can go and fish in someone else's backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    According to Gordon Rayner, political editor of the Telegraph, the EU has now demanded 10 years unlimited access to our waters. I don't really understand why we're still talking to these jokers. Just tell them quite politely the negotiations are at an end, and they can go and fish in someone else's backyard.
    Sadly, sinkov, they probably realise that we no longer have the resources in our Royal Navy to protect our own waters these days so they will just please themselves ---as they have done for years!

But Sub, the EU is a rules based organisation, they tell us they cannot act outside their own treaty obligations or laws. If they do not have the right to fish in our waters, then I'm sure they will come down heavily on anyone who attempts to do so. Thus we won't need the Royal Navy, the EU will do the job for us. Won't they ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    But Sub, the EU is a rules based organisation, they tell us they cannot act outside their own treaty obligations or laws. If they do not have the right to fish in our waters, then I'm sure they will come down heavily on anyone who attempts to do so. Thus we won't need the Royal Navy, the EU will do the job for us. Won't they ?
    We would have to rely on the honesty of politicians to enforce the rules -----I won't hold my breath!

Honestly, I've always been at a loss with the French desire to fish in "our waters".

All they have to do is sail towards Brest and then the whole of the North Atlantic Ocean awaits their pleasure.

Looks like Macron is trying to sabotage any chance of a deal, he seems to think that after a few months without a deal we'll be back cap in hand pleading for one. I think he's much mistaken, once out there will be no going back. I like President Macron, he's doing the Brexiteer's job for them, no soft Brexit for the Remoaners now. Sir Nigel will be feeling very chipper this morning, he'd be off to the nearest boozer to celebrate, if there was one open.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Honestly, I've always been at a loss with the French desire to fish in "our waters".

All they have to do is sail towards Brest and then the whole of the North Atlantic Ocean awaits their pleasure.
    The idea of the French pleasuring themselves near Brest on Atlantic cod ....... ooh la la

Looking like no deal.
    Both sides agree!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Looking like no deal.
    Both sides agree!
    Probably the best outcome imo, both sides seem to think they can manage without a trade deal, so let's see, give it 3/4 months, see what the problems are, then they might think it a good idea to start talking again. Or maybe not.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)