+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeover and announcement of new manager.....

Nice to hear from you DCFCA, missed your perceptive and insightful contribution to debate.
    Well constructed argument, well written and good use of the English Language!

Mind you, in amongst that verbose prose you're pretty much right!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Yes major transactions can be glacially slow, can we accept that as a given and move on to something else to pick over?
    Is it the role of the Mod to stifle informed debate?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Is it the role of the Mod to stifle informed debate?
    Can any of this ‘debate’ actually be described as ‘informed’? Perhaps we’re all just frustrated at the apparent lack of progress and the subsequent delay in appointing a manager who might be able to lead us out of the current mess.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Can any of this ‘debate’ actually be described as ‘informed’? Perhaps we’re all just frustrated at the apparent lack of progress and the subsequent delay in appointing a manager who might be able to lead us out of the current mess.
    From my perspective, yes, having been involved in various takeover / acquisitions both professionally and personally. It doesnt matter what the business is, the principles are the same

Well yes, those of us who have a semblance of an idea about these types of transactions aren't frustrated, we know such things are complicated and take time to conclude. Which is kind of what my response has been to you when you asked the question and expressed your frustration at the apparent delay.

I did point out that the average house sale, which is a very basic transaction, takes 3 - 4 months, this deal is more complicated by at least a factor of 100!

I kind of thought the information might ease your frustration and worries but apparently not?

Well yes, those of us who have a semblance of an idea about these types of transactions aren't frustrated, we know such things are complicated and take time to conclude. Which is kind of what my response has been to you when you asked the question and expressed your frustration at the apparent delay.

I did point out that the average house sale, which is a very basic transaction, takes 3 - 4 months, this deal is more complicated by at least a factor of 100!

I kind of thought the information might ease your frustration and worries but apparently not?
    You also described yourself as ‘not in the know as far as football club takeovers are concerned’, once suggested - on the night of the Referendum - that Brexit would never happen and, more recently, that Rooney isn’t in contention for the manager’s job.

I appreciate the complexity of the transaction but the difference between this and other ‘deals’ is, the longer this all drags on the deeper we drop into the mire.
    Suppose, hypothetically, in another six weeks time Rooney is still saying, ‘should be sorted in another 48 hours’, while you and GP are still banging on about being patient and needing time...by then the best of the January window deals may have been done, about ten more games will have been used up, and the buyers will almost certainly be purchasing one of next season’s League One clubs.

I’m not worried - that’s saved for ‘real’ matters - but it is a concern.

"but the difference between this and other ‘deals’ is, the longer this all drags on the deeper we drop into the mire."

Again, sorry to say this, but you again show extreme naivety. Of the 50 or so acquisitions that I have intimate knowledge (mostly as a regulator, akin to the EFL role in the DCFC deal) almost all of them had a downside associated with delays - eg payrolls to be met, goodwill in the business being dissipated, key staff walking due to uncertainty. They all bring with them nervousness amongst employees, a loss of productivity, concerns over the future trading prospects etc. Just like at Derby, no different

All such deals are time sensitive, especially when characterised by one party rescuing the other: the longer they take by and large the deeper into the mire one party is falling. The only difference with football is the fans who have a sense of entitlement (perhaps misplaced) - and this is not a dig at you, its all fans - to know what's going on.

You also described yourself as ‘not in the know as far as football club takeovers are concerned’, once suggested - on the night of the Referendum - that Brexit would never happen and, more recently, that Rooney isn’t in contention for the manager’s job.

I appreciate the complexity of the transaction but the difference between this and other ‘deals’ is, the longer this all drags on the deeper we drop into the mire.
    Suppose, hypothetically, in another six weeks time Rooney is still saying, ‘should be sorted in another 48 hours’, while you and GP are still banging on about being patient and needing time...by then the best of the January window deals may have been done, about ten more games will have been used up, and the buyers will almost certainly be purchasing one of next season’s League One clubs.

I’m not worried - that’s saved for ‘real’ matters - but it is a concern.

What I actually said was, I have no detailed knowledge of football takeovers but that I did have knowledge of these sorts of deals and the principles are the same and then outlined the basic steps. GP then gave some detail explaining the possible complications.

Brexit was a forecast, I struggled to believe that people would be dim enough to vote for it. Which to be fair was a common view at the time. I then thought that there would be enough politicians sane enough to avoid a hard Brexit, but again the public voted for a bunch of lying *******s and hard Brexiteers in circumstances that nobody had experience of.

I'd have thought you would know the difference between opinion and a fact?

As for Rooney, I caveated that it was what I had heard and also that in my opinion it would be a strange decision, so unsubstantiated rumour and opinion again rA. I'd be mighty surprised if he was appointed manager but hey thats football.

As GP has said all deals have deadlines and consequences and this one is no different, I'd expect that plans are in place re the manager and also targets for transfers, it would be unlikely but not impossible that it will be not done and dusted before Xmas but if it isn't its the long term impact that matters.

What I actually said was, I have no detailed knowledge of football takeovers but that I did have knowledge of these sorts of deals and the principles are the same and then outlined the basic steps. GP then gave some detail explaining the possible complications.

Brexit was a forecast, I struggled to believe that people would be dim enough to vote for it. Which to be fair was a common view at the time. I then thought that there would be enough politicians sane enough to avoid a hard Brexit, but again the public voted for a bunch of lying *******s and hard Brexiteers in circumstances that nobody had experience of.

I'd have thought you would know the difference between opinion and a fact?

As for Rooney, I caveated that it was what I had heard and also that in my opinion it would be a strange decision, so unsubstantiated rumour and opinion again rA. I'd be mighty surprised if he was appointed manager but hey thats football.

As GP has said all deals have deadlines and consequences and this one is no different, I'd expect that plans are in place re the manager and also targets for transfers, it would be unlikely but not impossible that it will be not done and dusted before Xmas but if it isn't its the long term impact that matters.
    I do indeed understand the difference between ‘opinion and fact’, it’s just that sometimes you are inclined to deliver your opinions as facts.

The ‘long term impact’ of it not being done by the time of the next window, and preferably well before enabling the next manager to make his own transfer target choices, is the concern I’ve been expressing. We agree.

I do indeed understand the difference between ‘opinion and fact’, it’s just that sometimes you are inclined to deliver your opinions as facts.

The ‘long term impact’ of it not being done by the time of the next window, and preferably well before enabling the next manager to make his own transfer target choices, is the concern I’ve been expressing. We agree.
    I made the assumption you are able to distinguish between the two to be honest!

I'm less worried about when the deal is completed as long as it is and with due diligence, I don't want a "three amigo's" scenario for the club again!

AS for transfer targets in january, I'm less concerned I remain of the view that with the exception of possibly a quality striker (and whats the likelyhood of getting one in January?) this group of players under the right manager are more than capable of avoiding relegation.

So to that end i don't see the takeover as a requirement to save the season, more a welcome possibility that the club can progress in the next few years.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)