+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Well wi 12 games in nar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well wi 12 games in nar

Just over a quarter ot way thru season. A barometer of how the league table may shape up for some fans.

Wiv got 16 points. That averages art at 1.33 points per game.

If we average 1.33 points per game over the course of 46 games, we'll end up wi 61 points.

Sounds impressive. However, with the ridiculous amount of games crammed in, a consortium that'll probably be looking to sell every prized asset we have in January and a squad that can't afford any injuries to key players, I feel that maintaining an average of 1.33 points per game will be a very tall order.

In order to maintain our average points per game, we need to be selling no one in January. Lets bear in mind that Matty James will be going back to Leicester n all. We definitely need to be adding players in January to bolster this squad.

The 5 subs being reintroduced really helps because Valerie demands 100% from everyone. I fear burnout is a real possibility unless the board acts in January and gives our head coach more cover.

Valeriens style demands so much energy and high intensity. Personally I don't think it's possible to sustain it when tha laikin 2 games a week fo next 5 months.

We know what's required. Steady progress is being made on the pitch. Things are heading in the reight direction and the team is looking the strongest I've seen since the owners took ova here. However, wiv bin here afooar ent wi many a time, even wi Pat Cryne. We know all too well who can fek this up nar.

Sadly in many respects the pandemic has contributed massively to the club's fortunes turning in a more positive directon .

It's with some regret I type that but it is what it is .

Without the pandemic we wouldn't have stayed up and I think that's pretty much a solid fact .

The championship this season has come more towards us because of the lack of finances within the league due to the pandemic .

That said you can only play the game that's in front of you and there's little doubt the squad is in a far better place than it was 12 months ago , pandemic or not .

It's absolutely nothing what so ever for the owners to claim any credit for that I do know but simply a collection of events they had no control over .

With a new left back, Central defensive cover and a Striker I think we could actually make the playoffs? However given what owners we have, the pandemic and some players in great form it is more likely we will get replacements in for the ones we sell.
    I can see Styles and Walton being sold on and Woodrow if he goes on a scoring run now

I think, that these owners will know that remaining in the Championship this season is probably more crucial than last season. As Animal says, the other clubs have come down to us. Financially and Skill wise, (yes, due to the Pandemic, granted, NOT of the owners good deeds....)
    HOWEVER, Isn’t this what we’ve wanted for a few seasons. ? The levelling up of the field? Less “Silly money”?

Isn’t this Pandemic ACTUALLY demonstrating that a club that hasn’t stretched itself in terms of “Gambling with its own future” is in a better position to survive this type of catastrophe?
    People have been saying that the sky will fall in on football someday.....( see what I did there)...
    Are we in a good position?
    Is debt free, with owners who won’t spend, better than in debt, with owners who have gambled on high wages, and big transfer fees?

I look at Derby.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    I think, that these owners will know that remaining in the Championship this season is probably more crucial than last season. As Animal says, the other clubs have come down to us. Financially and Skill wise, (yes, due to the Pandemic, granted, NOT of the owners good deeds....)
    HOWEVER, Isn’t this what we’ve wanted for a few seasons. ? The levelling up of the field? Less “Silly money”?

Isn’t this Pandemic ACTUALLY demonstrating that a club that hasn’t stretched itself in terms of “Gambling with its own future” is in a better position to survive this type of catastrophe?
    People have been saying that the sky will fall in on football someday.....( see what I did there)...
    Are we in a good position?
    Is debt free, with owners who won’t spend, better than in debt, with owners who have gambled on high wages, and big transfer fees?

I look at Derby.....
    Some good points there Jules, especially around whether playing safe has come to fruition. The only thing I'd say to counter-balance that is there's a difference between spending way above your capacity, and spending sensibly within the parameters of the situation you find yourself in (I.E - you have to speculate to accumulate). As others have said, we've been here before. All we need to do in January is decide we ain't selling our best players and make one or two sensible additions. We have the financial means to do this given the money that has been accumulated over the past 24 months. We don't need to break the bank, we just need to make positive steps to reestablish ourselves at this level

As the saying goes the table does not lie so we can be reasonably happy with our progress so far this season, but as we all know we are short up front and little strength in depth at the back, lets hope we can get to the end of the year pretty much unscathed. Being away from the relegation zone may help the hierarchy to entice a player or two to our club in the January window.

Quote Originally Posted by french_frog01 View Post
    Some good points there Jules, especially around whether playing safe has come to fruition. The only thing I'd say to counter-balance that is there's a difference between spending way above your capacity, and spending sensibly within the parameters of the situation you find yourself in (I.E - you have to speculate to accumulate). As others have said, we've been here before. All we need to do in January is decide we ain't selling our best players and make one or two sensible additions. We have the financial means to do this given the money that has been accumulated over the past 24 months. We don't need to break the bank, we just need to make positive steps to reestablish ourselves at this level

Agree with that mate. However, If finances are an issue to this club in January then there's always the loan market. Matty James is proof that you can utilize the loan market to your advantage if you're shrewd enough.

I understand the boards reluctance to venture into the loan market as a rule but i think that in the short term, surely one or two loan players can't do our chances any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Agree with that mate. However, If finances are an issue to this club in January then there's always the loan market. Matty James is proof that you can utilize the loan market to your advantage if you're shrewd enough.

I understand the boards reluctance to venture into the loan market as a rule but i think that in the short term, surely one or two loan players can't do our chances any harm.
    Exactly. You make safe steps forward, however that looks like. We just need to make sure we don't go backwards but you never know with these owners and Super Dane at the helm!