+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul McMullan

No he isn't, and he hasn't had a proper chance this season as Darren said certainly not in a position that suits him so to say he can't step up is not really fair as he played very well in games against Prem sides in past

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    The problem with McMullan under MM is that we don't seem to play with natural wingers. whenever McMullan has played he has been played more central which doesnt suit him. we got the best out of him under RN because he mainly stood out wide and told to attack the FB and get crosses in. (most of which wouldn't reach the target in fairness)

I personally feel MM is setting McMullan up for failure by playing him in positions that doesn't suit him. MM seem's to happily give guys a chance then bomb them out the team as soon as they don't do great whilst other players can get 5/6 games being poor before even getting considered for getting dropped. Harkes/Pawlett/connolly main examples of this.

I'm not McMullan's biggest fan but i hate when we see a player who has shown in the past that he can hurt teams and be a big part of the team getting thrown out and getting half chances to show what he can do. Cammy smith was the same. Both wont be here after Jan. (and will probably come back to haunt us)
    But in the past McMullan was better center, loads of posters on here have said that before too. What is also in the back of my mind the issue Csaba had with him, is his attitude a problem for MM?

You're saying McMullan was good previously but i would disagree with that, he had a good spell around his contract extension time

Was that not his first league start after a hernia op in the summer and a setback in between?

Just dinnae understand it at times on here when someone is cast aside so early. I actually thought we looked better than we have this season with him on and was kinda surprised he was hooked so early, but him and Sporle are fighting back from injury and need a chance to get fighting fit.

What are people expecting here? Are you looking for players to single handed win the game for us with no service, or the sum of all the parts keeping us top half of the table?

Probably the most frustrating player I've watched over the last 3 or 4 years. Has the pace but has very little else. Tries all the tricks and flicks in the world but just isn't good enough to pull them off and nine times out of ten tries them when a simple pass is clearly the better option. For every ten balls he puts into the box, I'd hazard a guess that only one finds its man. He never looks up, just runs to the by line and pings it in in the hope someone is there. I've always wanted to see him in the middle of the park as I think he's a better finisher than he is a crosser and yesterday was his chance. He blew that chance however.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    But in the past McMullan was better center, loads of posters on here have said that before too. What is also in the back of my mind the issue Csaba had with him, is his attitude a problem for MM?

You're saying McMullan was good previously but i would disagree with that, he had a good spell around his contract extension time
    I dont think anything that happened under Csaba can be brought as a reasonable argument in the case presented here!

Dinnae get me wrong, i dinnae think he is the greatest player we have, but he did provide something to the team last season, and he needs to be given the chance to see what he can bring to the top flight. I didnae think Clark would be any use this season, but top scorer and first name on the team sheet for me just now!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    I dont think anything that happened under Csaba can be brought as a reasonable argument in the case presented here!

Dinnae get me wrong, i dinnae think he is the greatest player we have, but he did provide something to the team last season, and he needs to be given the chance to see what he can bring to the top flight. I didnae think Clark would be any use this season, but top scorer and first name on the team sheet for me just now!
    I'm not using it as part of the argument Chick, all i'm saying is that it was in the back of my mind mate and i wonder if theres an issue with attitude with MM. We dont know any of that though. The fact is he's too inconsistent, more poor than good, fails to beat a man, fails to make a pass and fails to cross.

As TA says, frustrating as f uck as he's got tremendous pace

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    ...and nine times out of ten...
    Think you are being quite generous there TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Think you are being quite generous there TBH.
    You could well be right.

What really annoyed me about McMullan yesterday was when he gave the ball away, there was no rushing to try and get it back, no backtracking, no attempt to make up for his f*ck up. He just gave up.

Will get shot down for this but I would rather have a Michael Gardyne type in there. Probably a season or two to late but a direct running player who always gave his best.

McMullan played well for us when he first arrived up until he got his arse kicked for playing 5 a-sides with his mates back in bigotville, after that, and as affshore has already pointed out, he didn’t show anything again until his contract was coming to an end. We all know what he is capable of, what we haven’t seen is him doing it week in, week out and not yet at all in the Premier. Time for him to move on I think.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)