+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Paul McMullan

Quote Originally Posted by I_love_Obadeyi View Post
    McMullan is only 24 and had a great record in the 1st division, would be inclined to be patient with hm. He's had what, one league start this season? A goal or assist almost every other game down a level, he's coming into a different sort of team, not starting him as a natural winger. Genuinely not convinced we can sign much better, not much cash lying around. Got to stop running the crazy losses and be more appreciative of the talent we have from within.

When you look at the out of contracts around Scotland, there aren't really many options you'd think would be much of an improvement who we could get. Mostly hasbeens and then guys like McDaid and McCowan who are young but just average in that league right now. Would have liked Thomas but not paying a fee. Kiltie maybe but I think we'd owe compensation and think Killie will get him signed up.

This.

McMullan is only 24 and had a great record in the 1st division, would be inclined to be patient with hm. He's had what, one league start this season? A goal or assist almost every other game down a level, he's coming into a different sort of team, not starting him as a natural winger. Genuinely not convinced we can sign much better, not much cash lying around. Got to stop running the crazy losses and be more appreciative of the talent we have from within.

When you look at the out of contracts around Scotland, there aren't really many options you'd think would be much of an improvement who we could get. Mostly hasbeens and then guys like McDaid and McCowan who are young but just average in that league right now. Would have liked Thomas but not paying a fee. Kiltie maybe but I think we'd owe compensation and think Killie will get him signed up.
    A great record in the Championship? Seriously?

I would love to see his pass completion rate because the amount of times he hits the by-line and puts in a cross to no one is scary.

Name:  Screenshot_20201123_120400.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  80.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    A great record in the Championship? Seriously?

I would love to see his pass completion rate because the amount of times he hits the by-line and puts in a cross to no one is scary.

Name:  Screenshot_20201123_120400.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  80.5 KB
    If you don't think his 9 assists and 3 goals in 22 games is a good record, you're not up to speed with these numbers are like for wingers. You're saying a goal or assist every second game, that's pretty much Ryan Giggs' sort of hit rate in his best ever Man Utd season. Different roles under different managers (played a lot centrally under Csaba) but there was an improvement in his output, even with an improve team around him.

No idea what it would be but you would expect him to have an awful completion rate in the role he plays. A winger with a high pass completion rate is someone who goes backwards and doesn't take a risk.

Interesting debate and it is definitely fair to say that any player can only be judged fairly after a short run of games in his favoured position. (Unless there are off field issues which fans don't get to hear about)

So going by that yardstick I don't think that Paul has had that chance this season yet.

But, a coach has to make decisions on players based on the way that manager wants to play and his opinion of a player.
    With that in mind you have to consider what the club is aiming to achieve - our objective is to be top 6, pushing for European qualification and competing in the later stages of domestic cups. Maybe MM feels Paul is a decent player but doesn't see him in his plans to achieve our aims? That in time MM can find a more consistent player? Because there's no doubt that when on his game PM can be very very effective, but as a manager you would think that MM is looking for that consistency over 90 minutes and an ability to at least keep the ball when not being directly effective? And maybe he feels PM can't do that.

My own view is that's how he sees the situation. If we decide to let him go he wont be short of offers - see Watson, Dow - and Gardyne fwiw.

Sorry T. Will have to look back as not sure what yer meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by North_Coast_Arab View Post
    Sorry T. Will have to look back as not sure what yer meaning.
    TTT is the grammer police on here think he means you have written to instead of too just a wee joke.

Quote Originally Posted by AraBrian View Post
    TTT is the grammer police on here think he means you have written to instead of too just a wee joke.
    Their seams to bee to many speling mistaikes on hear....

A lot of people being quite unfair here towards PMc

He is the best we have in his position so we absolutely should not be looking to get rid, he is still coming into his prime years and has a lot to offer

Let's be honest, he was very good last season and the end of the season before, until the injury mid season, since the injury happened and before he properly got back to form the season ended for to covid then he got injured again and returned with a new manager, a totally new system and division

He hasn't even had a run of games yet to get himself into form, he was always better after a run of games in the team, he needs to get his confidence back aswell

He used to frustrate me with his end product but he did improve on this a bit last season and was easily the highest assists, he still has plenty to offer and offers something different when on form z he needs a run of games to see if he can find his place in this team, still a valuable player to have in the squad and not one I'd want to see joining a rival team or the fun /hertz

Plus credit to him for declining County, he wants to be at Utd and fight for his place, I hope he can do so and get a wee consistent run

If you don't think his 9 assists and 3 goals in 22 games is a good record, you're not up to speed with these numbers are like for wingers. You're saying a goal or assist every second game, that's pretty much Ryan Giggs' sort of hit rate in his best ever Man Utd season. Different roles under different managers (played a lot centrally under Csaba) but there was an improvement in his output, even with an improve team around him.

No idea what it would be but you would expect him to have an awful completion rate in the role he plays. A winger with a high pass completion rate is someone who goes backwards and doesn't take a risk.
    Last season was a decent season, but his consistency is terrible. That's the issue. He's been here for how many years? And had once decent season when his contract was coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Last season was a decent season, but his consistency is terrible. That's the issue. He's been here for how many years? And had once decent season when his contract was coming to an end.
    This,
    Fwiw, Man City have a very high pass completion rate and creative players who are deemed to be amongst the best in the business, however they do struggle against teams who have players disciplined to work their socks off.
    Successful past Utd teams have been built on this very work ethic. We cannot afford to include many if any luxury players who will wait to be given the ball and do nothing productive with it when they get it. and invariably when we try to include one or two, the team suffers

In this league under Mellon, players who don't do the graft or offer anything constructive won't play, it has taken a while for Mellon to have some kind of reliable defence, maybe he's now finally copped on to the fact Pawlett, Bolton , Harkes can't play with the intensity in the way he demands.
    This defence with Fuchs and dare I say it Butcher in midfield who seems to have gotten more positional sense and looks calmer fitter, coupled with McNulty, Shanks, Chalmers and Clark could well be the answer.
    Personally along with Pawlett, Bolton, Harkes, Appere I don't see McMullen as anything other than a squad player to be called on to stake a claim when given the chance, Yes the number of chances will depend on injuries and what they show in training, but ultimately it books down to what they do when they're on the pitch

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)