+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Barnsley v Brentford Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Skill level for them was double ours. too many missed passes, uncontrolled balls, and Perky hit the nail on the head. From minute one we didn’t look in the race. Not sure Kane is the answer, looks a LONG WAY off for me in terms of fitness/ Sharpness.
    I think we played as well as were allowed Jules in all honesty .

I think despite the recent run we know where we are and we are going to have more nights like this as well as the wins we've enjoyed of late .

Big gulf in class tonight in terms of possession and know how .

Our battle is with the 8 or 9 teams in our section of the championship and I don't believe they are better than us for one minute .

No complaints with that result Brentford did a good “professional” job on us nothing more nothing less.

We didn’t look like scoring all night and never tested their keeper and very frustrating to watch not putting three offensive passes together.

A certain pen not given to us for hand ball that’s all I can say but interestingly Brentford must clap their hands every time Bond officiates their games.

Never known us give so many corners away and it was clearly becoming obvious they would make one pay and our mate Toney did.

Next stop Blackburn.

Your always in the game at 0-1 and the handball is the break you can get , it's a penalty all day long .

Why he's not given it I don't know , whether we deserved a point is irrelevant , it's a penalty .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 24-11-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Thu dunt want tu go up !
    Summats not reyt darn Theer

Barnsley head coach Valerien Ismael told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"We expected the best opponent in possession with a lot of quality. It is not easy to press an opponent like that because they are very calm and try to lure you.

"We need another approach to be more patient, and aggressive in some others.

"Out of possession we were really good but in possession we were not clinical enough in some situations. We have to work on this.

"It is a bit frustrating, but it was another level for us. It was like chess."

Brentford head coach Thomas Frank:

"It was a very good win and I was very pleased with the performance. Ivan is doing a good job for us.

"I think we looked very solid, structured and mature in more or less everything we did.

"I loved the patience in the first half because Barnsley are a very good side and I'm very impressed with them.

"They have made it unbelievably difficult for a lot of teams and they press with an extreme intensity."

Franke learned a lot about us from the last game . Tonight perhaps was a night to “just go for it, and either win good or get a hiding ”..... a win and we are on an even more cracking run......., or a good hiding, (and it’s what we probably all expected) and then as Animal said “ Move on “ .
    It looked a bit like we didn’t really know what the plan was.........
    Not distraught at the result, going to be like this all season I think.
    Last edited by Jules88; 25-11-2020 at 12:20 AM.

Total disappointment.
    Ok - Brentford were good - but we made them look better than they were.
    And that’s because BIG VAL decided to line up as he’s done in the past.
    We can’t do that against teams like Brentford - because if we do we won’t get a kick.
    Hence ...... we didn’t get a kick against them - completely dominated.
    In circumstances like this the team has to have a totally different strategy and formation.
    The 343 formation dosen’t work every time.
    I don’t blame the players - they did what they were told to do.
    But they never got to show what they can do - and that has to be laid at the door of BIG VAL.
    He got things wrong.
    But he will have learn’t from it.

A game like this - is when we need a Kieffer Moore.
    Change formation from 343 to 451 or 541 - and let Brentford have the ball.
    But when we get hold of the ball - knock it long to a holding centre forward that can hold the ball up and bring the midfielders into play and in on goal.
    We just haven’t got that holding centre forward - so as such we haven’t yet got the full quota of players required in the squad.

As normal as it is to be disappointed with the result last night I think as a bunch of fans we need to just put things in perspective. If we are to become a mid-table championship club then we will naturally win 1, lose 1, draw 1 over every three games over the season, and finish comfortably above the relegation zone at around 60 points. The other thing about mid-table championship clubs is that they are hit and miss and that's normal. Last night we weren't great but we lost 1-0. 12 months ago it would have been 3 or 4 (just look at the Brentford game from last year). I think as Barnsley fans we are that used to despair or elation from one season to the next that we get confused when we're sat in the middle. So let's hope win lose draw continues (figure of speech) and we manage to establish ourselves at this level.

P.S - I do agree though . . . Chaplin was poor again, Brittain was excellent, Victor is being "effective" when called upon, and we 100% need a better option up front.

No excuse for not having a go at home.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234