+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New style penalty taking, is it fair?

The advantage should be with the penalty taker not the keeper. Remember the original offence is a foul in the box.

Bruno Fernandes penalties.

https://youtu.be/LdgKbTaiQDM

Penalty takers delay to see which way the keeper will dive and attempt to put it the other side.

The give away signal keepers make is that they bend the leg on the side of the direction they will dive.

So maybe the best routine for a penalty taker is to have a run up like John Cleese in the ministry of silly walks

The game's a joke anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Penalty takers delay to see which way the keeper will dive and attempt to put it the other side.

The give away signal keepers make is that they bend the leg on the side of the direction they will dive.
    David Seaman said his secret was to watch the takers standing foot. He wouldn’t elaborate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    So maybe the best routine for a penalty taker is to have a run up like John Cleese in the ministry of silly walks

The game's a joke anyway
    Well dont watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    David Seaman said his secret was to watch the takers standing foot. He wouldn’t elaborate though.
    Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Well dont watch it.
    Yeah, great idea, ignore the problem, walk away, let the game die

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I was never a full time GK but did play there quite a bit. When facing penalties I used to always look at the player's kicking foot and the way it was approaching the ball and decide which way to go based on that. I did go the right way most times and saved probably more than 50% but obviously the players I was up against weren't professionals and weren't using the feather light balls they use today so I was able to make such a late decision and still get to the ball in most cases. Doesn't work so well in 5-a-side football where the taker is much closer. There I took the starfish approach and tried to cover each corner of the goal with a limb and on more than one occasion took an unwanted ball to the wedding tackle, not a pleasant feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yeah, great idea, ignore the problem, walk away, let the game die
    I actually enjoy modern football. I dont watch it as some sort of charity case. Why not make weekly donations without watching and put yourself out of your misery.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast