+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Deid 54-55 stalwart

Deid 54-55 stalwart

Bobby Wishart, inside forward of the Dons’ 1954-55 Division A champions. 177 appearances in The Sacred Red, and scorer of 45 goals.

87 years old, another victim of the horror that is motor neurone disease.

Left for TMSTID in 1961, and won the league with them in 1962. Pretty unique for a player to win Scottish titles with two different clubs, neither of whom were the rancid, verminous, malodorous, dodgily-financed, sectarian-driven stinky filth of Clydeside.

I met him at some sort of gathering on the evening before Brian Grant’s testimonial match v Everton in 1996. What a fine mannie.

Rest easy, Mr Wishart.

There was an old chap that drank in my local, that claimed to be the back up keeper for that side. He was always telling stories about the players. Could list the entire team as if he was still playing for them.

It only emerged he was talking complete shyte after he snuffed it.

My late *Ma (1926-2005) , the only Red in our house until I joined her as a refusenik, never ever set as much as a toe inside Pittodrie, yet recited the 54-55 first XI as fluently as if she was running through the menu of puntive threats to our wellbeing in the event of misbehaviour. The only dispute was who was the number 10 (Proper Mannies' inside left before contemporary fannyball confused shirt numbers with positions) - Bobby Wishart or George Hamilton. In those days, the excellent, informative AFC Heritage website www.afcheritage.org had yet to be mined from below the Broad Hill, but I will check (Wishart 23, Hamilton 4, it seems). I also now know that following the win at Shawfield to win the title was followed by a 2-1 loss at Tim Park. Much more importantly, the match after that was a benefit match versus Keith.
    So, Martin, Mitchell, Caldwell, Allister, Young, Glen, Leggart, Yorston, Buckley, Wishart and Hather, as recited by Margaret, still trips off the tongue, 50+ years on.

*rules-wise, whilst mothers are generally exempted, I cannot see Alex Polizzi, The Hotel Inspector, without doing a double-take.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 04-12-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: As influential as Wishart

Are any of that team still with us, and who is the oldest living ex-player?

I recall that Archie Baird, who survived behind the lines in ltaly during WWII and Hilton Academy was the oldest when he died.

I'm sure Richard Gordon said on Sportsound that he was the last of that team.

Quote Originally Posted by krakowdon View Post
    who is the oldest living ex-player?.
    Toni Kombouaré is now 117 years old

Quote Originally Posted by krakowdon View Post
    Are any of that team still with us, and who is the oldest living ex-player?

I recall that Archie Baird, who survived behind the lines in ltaly during WWII and Hilton Academy was the oldest when he died.
    The P&J announcement:
    “ The last surviving member of Aberdeen’s 1955 league- winning side has died.
    Bobby Wishart, who scored 45 goals in 177 appearances for the Dons between 1953 and 1961, has died at the age of 87.
    The inside forward, pictured below, joined the Dons in 1952 from Merchiston and went on to become a key member of the team when Aberdeen won the top flight title for the first time in 1955.
    During his time with the Dons, Wishart was capped at Scotland under-23 level and represented the Scottish League XI on two occasions.
    He moved to Bob Shankly’s Dundee for a fee of £3,500 in January 1961 and helped the Dark Blues win the title the following year.
    After leaving Dundee in 1964, Wishart had spells at Airdrie and Raith Rovers. He was inducted into Dundee’s hall of fame in 2012.
    A statement released by Aberdeen FC read: “It is with immense sadness that the club has learned of the passing of Bobby Wishart.
    “Bobby took part in our century celebrations in 2003. In more recent years he was also a guest at Pittodrie on a number of occasions but suffered from motor neurone disease latterly. Our thoughts are with Bobby’s family.”

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Bobby Wishart, inside forward of the Dons’ 1954-55 Division A champions. 177 appearances in The Sacred Red, and scorer of 45 goals.

87 years old, another victim of the horror that is motor neurone disease.

Left for TMSTID in 1961, and won the league with them in 1962. Pretty unique for a player to win Scottish titles with two different clubs, neither of whom were the rancid, verminous, malodorous, dodgily-financed, sectarian-driven stinky filth of Clydeside.

I met him at some sort of gathering on the evening before Brian Grant’s testimonial match v Everton in 1996. What a fine mannie.

Rest easy, Mr Wishart.
    Every player on that team is a bona fide Dons legend

I use to go to school with Jimmy Mitchell's daughter Avril. My old man used to regale me with stories of Jimmy and that team. Bumped into a chap last year from my old growing up stomping ground and he told me Avril still stays there. My old man was there that day we won the league in 1955 at Shawfield and i can understand how I had to wait outside the pub in Maryhill as a 14 year old while he got pissed the night we clinched it at firhill in May 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Every player on that team is a bona fide Dons legend
    Correct. A legend of the Proper Mannies’ variety.

To quote Gary Delaney, who is no doubt uncool, unhip and unfunny to the radical taste-maker didacticists around here, “The word Legend has been devalued from pulling a sword from a stone to prove you're the rightful king, to unexpectedly returning with crisps”.