+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Accrington

Accrington

More misery tonight, 2-0 to the home side. They are in a false position due to the games in hand.
    However, hopefully they won't have picked up any pointers from Saturday. i.e. let our CHs have the ball, crowd the midfield and hit us on the break.

Well, that was crap! About 30 mins from the end it became clear we were never going to get a result out of that game. Too predictable, too many touches, too long making decisions. Ponderous is the word that comes to mind. Who played well? er...... was there anybody?
    Particular people to point finger at? .... Mr Showboat himself. Lots of flicks, (not) clever backheels but nothing decisive. Kirk has talent but still doesn't use it enough. Why does he continue to hold up the ball when he has someone on the run?? Why can't he be involved in the simple stuff? And Nottingham enjoyed the 50/50s as he knew Charlie would jump out of the way rather than stand up to him. Does anybody know what has happened to Captain Dynamo? A shadow of himself compared to last season. Needs to use his pace a bit more and stop trying to catch his opponent out with tricks. Dale is not up to it. His decision making is poor and his final ball is poor. Finney showed some good touches but too much of his play involves underhitting/overhitting and misplacing passes. That's for the ten minutes he's involved. Lowery also seemed to be trying too hard and was not composed enough.
    In fact very few of the team were composed enough to seriously threaten their defence.
    Threatening opposition defences this season seems to be a problem this season - is that the 6th blank sheet in 14 games. It's not that we miss a lot of chances but that the ball sometimes get anywhere near threatening the opposition. Today was a fantastic example of this as Accrington actually sat back for the last 10 minutes and let us have the ball, yet how often did Savin actually have to do anything?
    I'm not knocking patient build up but I sometimes get the impression that the approach is too formulaic and the players have little leeway to be innovative.
    I repeat another post, by asking if we have enough goalscorers in the team. I'm not talking about finishers but people who are goalgetters who can create their own chances.

It was just so bloody frustrating tonight.

Seems like I made the right decision to watch the Bake Off!

I cannot deny it was hard, tough and difficult. But I am proud to say that I overcame all the problems and succeeded in staying awake to watch what can only be described as garbage.

In the 1st half it was painfully obvious that as an attacking team we were non-existent, and could play for a week without ever looking like scoring. We were in desperate need for changes to be made for the second half to stand any chance of improving our chances. Of course those changes were not made at halftime. No surprise there. In fact there were only 10 minutes remaining when the obvious changes were finally made. I do not enjoy saying this, but Mr. Artell that was bloody poor management.

For the past 2 games we have seen what the midfield of Lowery and Finney bring to the team. As an attacking force absolutely nothing. Against Accrington it was only for the last 10 minutes when they were replaced by Ainley and Murphy did we show any promise as an attacking team. You take your choice, pick Lowery and Finney and you will get a completely unbalanced team. Select Ainley and Murphy and you have the possibility that we will function as an attacking team. Pretty sure I know which pairing Gazan and Aston will select,
    certainly one that would include Lowery. Allow me to give you both a hint, neither Lowery or Finney are team players. Finney very rarely gets involved in the game, and Lowery`s sole aim is to put in a solo performance to please his adoring fans. In the end you take your choice.

After last seasons successful campaign I never thought I would be in a position to say this. Two wins out of seven league games is in fact relegation standard. This should not be happening as we still have a strong squad. This is down to poor team selection and even worse tactics. The responsibility for this is down to our management.

Just finished reading our managers comments about the game. Apparently after the goal we stopped playing our football and started lumping it. I seem to have a small problem understanding this. I can only assume that we must have played our football when I blinked. Damn it I missed the best bit again.

Is it my imagination or is our managers post game comments becoming more outlandish as the season progresses?

To make a worthwhile substitution, you first need the right people available. Ainley is about the only one who can bridge the gap between midfield but needs room. Unfortunately, no teams are giving us the space.
    I would argue that there are two major problems: pace moving the ball forward and movement of the midfield and forwards.